Purple lightsabers for sith?

Should purple lightsabers be available for Sith too?

• Total voters

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Im not saying Sith should have the same colors as Jedi like blue and green that would make it lose its immersive feel xD,just purple.Some Siths use purple.

There is also Sith/Dark Jedi in the expanded universe that use Yellow, Blue. Sev'rance Tann used Yellow, and does in our FA that she is in as well. Yunn also used Yellow and hes in the Jedi Knight Series. Sariss used a blue saber.

In the Movies however, since this is ya know, Movie Battles. Mace Windu, a Jedi, uses purple. We simply cannot follow the expanded universe in this cause because it is just everywhere and the movies are pretty standardized. Colors like Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple are Jedi. Red and various shades of red, are Sith.

I didn't realize people playing MB2 were blind. How is it difficult to tell who is enemy or who isn't? Your whole crosshair turns red...

Only when directly aiming at them. You shouldn't be required to directly aim at them to be able to tell who is enemy and who is friend. That is just stupid.

Or make it customizable on server side, at least. Sane server owners won't turn colliding colors on anyway.

I believe we are limited in the number of things we can have here. This would require too much information for the gain in our limited space

white for jedi black for sith thx

Already mentioned in the thread puppy linked that White is reserved for something else, well two things actually. Black doesn't work without a new shader, as the current shader is additive meaning it would be invisible. Though someone could have made a shader for it since I last checked. I don't know.

Subaru

Not a car!
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Black\White would work for balance purposes (though it is questionable if it fits in with MB2), but it would be a total pain to implement (anyone with the time to do so would be better off doing other things).

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Only when directly aiming at them. You shouldn't be required to directly aim at them to be able to tell who is enemy and who is friend. That is just stupid.

I have never had to do that to anyone, because I know the models. I'm just saying you have to be blind to not be able to identify friend or foe, regardless of saber color.

In the Movies however, since this is ya know, Movie Battles.

Remember that part in the movies where clones had blobs and insanely fast firing rifles, SBDs could take 3-4 saber swings, and Han Solo could regenerate his entire face after being shot?

Yeah, I do too.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I have never had to do that to anyone, because I know the models. I'm just saying you have to be blind to not be able to identify friend or foe, regardless of saber color.

I haven't played as much in recent years and I don't know all the model changes that have been done, I don't know some of the new ones off the top of my head. Not everyone can tell the difference between some models particularily between Jedi/Sith because they're literally using the same models with slightly different color variations somtimes.

Remember that part in the movies where clones had blobs and insanely fast firing rifles, SBDs could take 3-4 saber swings, and Han Solo could regenerate his entire face after being shot?

Yeah, I do too.

Totally related to lightsaber colors, pretty much the most iconic thing of Star Wars.

ESS

I do not care about your opinions, mine is all that matters and if you agree with me and rally to my opinion we can all share this belief together!11111 People of the Purple Sith Lightsaber Cult, stand with me! I your leader Yawn, believe we should have a version of a purple saber for Sith however REALISTICALLY speaking it would have to be a lighter purple for Sith. Not dark. This is because it is CLOSER to the pink on the color scale for already existing sith this means changing the values to accept them having darker pink sabers which look close to purple. Jedi will actually be the ones with DARK purple, a few shades under true purple that Mace windu used.

ESS

• HOW IT WOULD ACTUALLY BE, REVERSED.
  • Close to pink Magenta/Purple for SITH COLOR VALUE LIMITATION INCREASED
  • Darker Purples for JEDI COLOR VALUES DECREASED FOR PURPLE SHADES Thus making sure they can't make it look light purple to mock sith.

It has been said a million times. Jedi gets colors sith get red. For balance reasons.

if MBII is bases around realism id say add it, if not i guess stay old and bornign wand keep red but i still feel they should all have RBG sabers cuz sabers plus we know our sith/jedi so its not like were gonna see ashoka and be like oh, sith or jedi let me some saber js

if MBII is bases around realism id say add it, if not i guess stay old and bornign wand keep red but i still feel they should all have RBG sabers cuz sabers plus we know our sith/jedi so its not like were gonna see ashoka and be like oh, sith or jedi let me some saber js

Im assuming the only way to do that would be like a FFA mode, like in jedi outcast.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
We want to keep the fights as readable as we can. This is largely why we've elected to keep the sith lightsaber colours restricted within shades of red.

Seeing one Anakin Skywalker with a purple lightsaber and another Anakin Skywalker with a purple lightsaber and having to guess which team each belongs to at a glance is something we don't want to have.

In a game where team damage is a core concept, it is key to keep situations easy to interpret. We've already failed on this from a certain standpoint with having very similar character designs (clones/stormtroopers, some jedi/sith) on both teams, but that is something too deeply embedded into the game for us to change at this point without stirring up a lot of trouble.

Crosshair identification alone does not suffice in a game where the player relies on fast reaction times and decision-making to succeed. You need distinguishable silhouettes, animations, colours and sounds.

TL;DR: It's not about canon, it's not about us hating on your OC sith character that you like to RP, it's simply about game design 101.

Worth noting that adding black/white sabers for sith and jedi respectively is not out of the question, but currently not a priority. The current implementation of lightsabers uses an RGB system where we have one fully white sprite texture for all lightsaber blades, the color of which we manipulate on the shader level with game code. In the shader absolute black equals transparent, thus it's not possible to have a black with the current implementation.

Implementing black in particular is as a result very dreary and if no programmer feels like doing it, I think it's fair enough to not force them to work on something that niche.

Only way for purple to get in would be for us to do a very strict pass on all jedi/sith character models. This would cull out a lot of the characters so we can make characters very clearly distinguishable. Force users with black outfits -> Sith, every other sith removed. Force users with light brown outfits -> Jedi, every other jedi removed.

So do you want purple lightsabers for sith or do you want to keep playing as Ep3 Anakin on both teams? Would you be okay with no Ep6 Luke Skywalker on jedi?

Last edited:
Can you at least give Sith purple in Duels? No one actually cares about the teams anyways. We all fight each other.

We want to keep the fights as readable as we can. This is largely why we've elected to keep the sith lightsaber colours restricted within shades of red.

Seeing one Anakin Skywalker with a purple lightsaber and another Anakin Skywalker with a purple lightsaber and having to guess which team each belongs to at a glance is something we don't want to have.

In a game where team damage is a core concept, it is key to keep situations easy to interpret. We've already failed on this from a certain standpoint with having very similar character designs (clones/stormtroopers, some jedi/sith) on both teams, but that is something too deeply embedded into the game for us to change at this point without stirring up a lot of trouble.

Crosshair identification alone does not suffice in a game where the player relies on fast reaction times and decision-making to succeed. You need distinguishable silhouettes, animations, colours and sounds.

TL;DR: It's not about canon, it's not about us hating on your OC sith character that you like to RP, it's simply about game design 101.

Worth noting that adding black/white sabers for sith and jedi respectively is not out of the question, but currently not a priority. The current implementation of lightsabers uses an RGB system where we have one fully white sprite texture for all lightsaber blades, the color of which we manipulate on the shader level with game code. In the shader absolute black equals transparent, thus it's not possible to have a black with the current implementation.

Implementing black in particular is as a result very dreary and if no programmer feels like doing it, I think it's fair enough to not force them to work on something that niche.

Only way for purple to get in would be for us to do a very strict pass on all jedi/sith character models. This would cull out a lot of the characters so we can make characters very clearly distinguishable. Force users with black outfits -> Sith, every other sith removed. Force users with light brown outfits -> Jedi, every other jedi removed.

So do you want purple lightsabers for sith or do you want to keep playing as Ep3 Anakin on both teams? Would you be okay with no Ep6 Luke Skywalker on jedi?

Fair enough and quite, quite a nice explanation as well!

I do understand more clearly the situation here and do also totally agree with it.

Thanks for making it clearer