Can't Reproduce PrivateDuel stuck/collision issue

Hello,

There is a collision issue (sometimes) during a private duel : You can find yourself stuck and unable to move. Reproducing the issue isn't always the easiest. But we tried what we could...

It seem that if you engage in a private duel, and someone (not in a duel) position himself on you, both will get stuck, unable to move. You usually escape it rather "randomly" by going any direction.
There is also cases where this is not true. Placing yourself on people within a private duel, do not always create this collision issue.

Not long ago this bug was existing if you would run a window jamp 2003 server. But was not existing on the EU servers under Caelum and now Asutech rack. You can reproduce this bug by running linux mbiided.i386.
It would appear that today this bug has become true on every duel servers.

Below you will find two link, the first one is my attempt at recording demo from an external point of view (Me observing the bug). The second is a record made by Everon during a private duel, we placed our characters on his, and he was stuck as much as we were.

1: 1.69 MB file on MEGA
2 : ‪MB2‬‏ - Google Drive (The upload might still be undergoing at the moment you read this, but should be available soon).

Thanks you for reading, I am available to help you reproduce it in case you need.

Just chiming in to confirm this was always an issue that was present even in the base game. I (and Cael previously) have some fixes for this in the OpenJK fork we run internally, which were essentially pulled from EternalJK. MBII servers hosted with me were swapped over to using mbiided.i386 recently, unless the owners were running their own binaries. So that's probably why you're seeing this more on those servers now.

They aren't something that should really be ported 1:1 to MBII, but these are the likely EJK commits that have it fixed for us, just to give the devs a better idea as to the extent of it:

<deleted>

Last edited:

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Links removed - Code is GPL'd and therefore of no interest or use for us even looking at.

Links removed - Code is GPL'd and therefore of no interest or use for us even looking at.

Thanks you for your reply.

I understand you might not be interested in hosting a server, therefore what Asulynn posted is irrelevant to you. But as you mentioned it yourself, these links are under GPL (General Public License). I do not see anything here Forums Rules / Code of Conduct mentioning that it is forbidden to post code.
Forgive me, but your fork of OpenJK does contain bugs that are fixed on most recent build. It is perhaps not of your interest, but as host, the demands of my players are my priority.

I am yet still available to help and reproduce this issue, given you find a use for it.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
The reason is to reduce the chances of any mb2 coders who might try to fix this in our code from looking at the GPL code and being influenced by it. We'd need to do a clean room implementation of the fix. It has nothing to do with specific forum rules.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Forgive me, but your fork of OpenJK does contain bugs that are fixed on most recent build.

The current correct branch for our OpenJK fork is newopenjk, it hasn't been merged into master yet but it is what is packaged with the game. It is up to date as of April of this year, and theres only been 7 or so commits to the main openjk since.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Yes. This is not something that needs engine code changes to fix (as evidence by it working just fine in base) - but - I wanted to remove any chance of anyone thinking we looked at the code and implemented the same fix somehow in SDK code.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
This is not something that needs engine code changes to fix (as evidence by it working just fine in base)
Just chiming in to confirm this was always an issue that was present even in the base game.
This seems contradictory? It may or may not be possible to fix in mod code, but if the issue is present in base it could be an engine bug.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Anything to back that claim up would be useful. Seems unlikely raven broke it between jk2 and jka and didn't patch it. I suppose it might only show up on newer hardware or be linked to the extreme framerate sentinal run at. Either way - I extensively played private duels back in the day on both jk2 and jka and I don't recall this ever happening. That was probably modded with ja+ or reloaded so it could have been fixed in SDK code there.

The "catching" on players outside of the private duel does remind me of when being on a JA+ server back in the day.
If you didn't have the JA+ client installed and just ran base then the bug would show up then, granted it wasn't to the extreme being seen in duel mode today.

It's hard to pin down what has changed, I don't recall the issue on the last minor version of MB2 but Sen may have changed their servers at the same time - hard to see with absolute clarity which has caused the issue.

I have experienced this on other duel mode servers which is something.

I suppose it might only show up on newer hardware or be linked to the extreme framerate sentinal run at.

My invitation to test it together (with the framerate of your choice) still stands. I do believe speculating on wether this problem exist or not, can be solved rather immediately by joining the game, we would be honoured to reproduce it for you.
Communicate me a time and date of your liking, or feel free to join our server at any time, you will find enthusiastic people ready to demonstrate it.

I want to add as a note : I did the demo using "MBII Client" and not JAMP as engine.

Have a good day.

For real though this is a problem that happens daily or every other day to me, It would be very nice if it were to be fixed.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
I am not sure if the recent patch's private duel fixes will have any impact on this, so would be nice to know if it is still happening. However before the patch I attempted to reproduce this issue in several ways and could not, so even if it is still an issue the odds of it being fixed are low without some consistent method of reproduction being reported.

I am not sure if the recent patch's private duel fixes will have any impact on this, so would be nice to know if it is still happening. However before the patch I attempted to reproduce this issue in several ways and could not, so even if it is still an issue the odds of it being fixed are low without some consistent method of reproduction being reported.

Thanks you for your reply, aswell as the time spent regarding this bug report.

We switched back to using the OpenJK dedicated. So this bug is not present (Just like before mbiided was introduced).
Sadly this means I can't give any feedback regarding this.

On a side note : The other bug report about the class limit issue, is yet to be confirmed. It is rather impactful.