Playstation 1 Graphics, The Ultimate Guide

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
...I learned that if you do /r_textureMode GL_NEAREST, then instead of using Bilinear or Trilinear filtering, the game uses Nearest Neighbor.

meaning if you set your texture quality (and model quality) to Low, you get... THIS.

gX0Yj4Q.jpg

The ultimate gift for those of you who want to pretend you're playing Metal Gear Solid while you're running your stealth side flanks.

god there's a lot of compression on that image, thanks imgur.

anyway I'll probably make a sound mod that just tastefully bitcrushes all the existing sound effects to match this Lo-Fi Aesthetic.

Unrelatedly, cg_fwoomp 1 makes it so the Mando sniper and A280 burst use the M5 Nade Launcher "fwoomp" sound. It's actually kind of nice since the "BZZZT" is so jarring, especially on the burst fire.

And uh, cg_minimapAlpha changes the transparency of the full-size map overlay. Good for stealth missions.

Last edited:
Can also do /r_textureMode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST for more fps (slightly and depends)

ent

Movie Battles II Team
I have been using it for 4 years.

Combine it with different values for r_picmip (0-16).
r_picmip 6 is da best for me.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Thanks for the advice, nerds. What's r_picmip do exactly? Oh wait I can figure it out myself.

Oh it's the actual name of the "Texture Detail" option. And 0 appears to be "Very High" while 3 is "Low," suggesting values above 3 are even Lower than Low. Humph.

haaaaaa r_picmip 16 is very silly

I feel like picmips much lower than 3 get kind of out of "low fi aesthetic" and more towards "pragmatic garbage" but i'm sure that distinction varies per-person

Last edited:
Reactions: ent

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I was playing with r_picmip 16 for like 3 years when I had a weaker laptop.