Perspective from a new player

Status
Not open for further replies.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
So I spent a while playing the mod, I haven't played JKJA itself for quite some time, so I was highly interested in it. As a competitive Chivalry MW/DW player, for quite some time, I decided to try and apply what I've known.

(Yes, I know I'm new, however I believe my opinion does make a difference, as I do have significant experience in competitive melee-style games, and I can understand the design choices)

The blaster play, and movement is amazing, the force powers are also amazing (if weirdly imbalanced)... however the saber combat?

Feels absolutely terrible. It is difficult to even see what you're doing, or if you even have had a major effect. I used all of the styles, and it seems like Red is incredibly strong compared to the others. I'll break down the issues in as short as I can

Saber combat feels stale, and feels like a trading match where each player takes turns with a combo, and the one who did the most stamina break, wins. Occasionally winning by way of knockdown. Does not feel fluid or fun at all. Not to mention, I found that I can (using Chivalry footwork) make a Jedi/Sith opponent miss 10, 20, 30 times in a row, but there is literally no way to take advantage of making them swing like fools. If I dodge their attack, and attempt to punish, I am immediately met with them blocking, and if they are using red style, I lose BP. Which recovers incredibly slowly, I might add.

Against multiple opponents, it feels like I'm just trying to trick one into a quick kill, or praying that they kill each other.

For those who haven't played Mount and Blade, or Chivalry: Mount and Blade is incredibly direction based, and Chivalry is incredibly timing based (Unless you have a shield, which uses a similar stamina feature to what MBII was going for, methinks).

I honestly believe the block, should only occur when using the block button, and it should only work for a short time, and if you attack while holding block as the opponent's saber connects, you should be able to stagger them slightly. The BP system should be there to keep people from swinging like idiots, and you should lose BP as you miss attacks, similar to Chivalry. I believe that would work significantly better. Either that, or make attacking expose yourself significantly more, and for longer.

Balance it like a fighting game. If I block your saber, I get +4 frame advantage, and you either block, or you eat a 4 frame faster attack than yours. Blocking and Attacking should be two separate entities in a video game, not simultaneous, and then adding stamina ontop of that. It isn't realistic enough to merit such a system.

Another issue with Saber, is the deflection is flawed in a couple of ways, giving anyone with a blaster a supreme advantage over a single Jedi/Sith target. It takes an incredibly long time for a Jedi/Sith to recover from a failed push. I'd argue 2 competent Commandos are literally impossible to beat as a Sith/Jedi. Bottom line, blasters fire waaaaaay too quickly to be balanced, and this rapid fire lends them to be incredibly strong against melee-type units *EXCEPT* Wookies/SBDs, who appear blatantly overpowered anyway.

On a side note, why is Lightning so bad? If you force push lightning a gunner, and he happened to walk at just the right time, you simply die. You can't recover fast enough to zap him, and I have instances where I manage to land the lightning push, then use the FULL force bar, and still not kill the opponent... Really quite a terrible power.

inb4 git gud u suk u must be bad, as a typical community response.

Which, actually, wouldn't make the mod more accurate, since the accuracy is exactly the fact that the saber kills on hit. That's why they changed what already happened in the base game.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Not really swords. Lightsabers. Lightsaber combat is never going to be like a regular sword. Lightsabers aren't balanced in the same way, all the weight is in the hilt.

Fictional Lightsabersmanship, not swordsmanship.

Doesn't matter, most fencing swords have the weight at the hilt anyway.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Aren't you the king of unfounded exaggeration. Adding HP damage to body hits, AND REDUCING COMBO SPAM, would enhance all of the fun, all of the balance, and all of the enjoyment from the saber system and open mode. How's that? Using your own argument.
Yeah, HP on bodyhits was a thing back in the day. It wasn't fun, so it got removed.

Anywho, I have to agree that this thread has probably served it's purpose and has devolved into an opinionated debate of 'what is fun' and 'what is balanced', all the while disregarding and criticizing the opinions of others. This thread is less discussion and more argument, so I'm going to go ahead and close it now while the embers are still cool from earlier.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them. If you have any opinions on game balance (please think before you post, I don't want to have to read through another one of these threads), keep in mind that before posting your opinions or ideas that they may have already been done or been suggested and shot down before.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.