•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Noob Probs on Mac: App Support JKJA folder is gone

So first of all, let me start by saying that I've tried every single installation guide I could find for MB2 today and not a single one worked for me. I'm not that computer illiterate, so this has been pretty frustrating as I've followed each one word for word. I'm running the Mac App Store version of the game. Finally, after trying every guide and still not getting it to start, I decided to completely delete JKJA and re-install it fresh (I had some old mods and stuff in there, nothing major.) When I did this, I also deleted the JKJA folder from Applications Support just to be thorough so I could totally start over. However, when I re-installed the game from the App store, the folder did not re-appear in the Applications Support. I've tried re-installing it a couple of times now and that folder still has yet to appear.

Any ideas about what I need to do?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
not a single one worked for me.
That's already wrong.
Never say such phrases, no matter which software you're trying to get support for.
You must describe as detailed as possible what steps did you take and what output did you get.
How exactly it "not worked"? Any error messages? Post direct quotations, screenshots. Do NOT retell it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Anyway, this is what you're supposed to do:
  1. Install Mono: Download | Mono
  2. Download MBII Launcher by THIS link: http://update.moviebattles.org/launcher/MBIILauncherLIN.exe
  3. Place MBIILauncher.exe inside this folder: "/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy" and NOT inside "/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy".
    If folder doesn't exist, create it by yourself.
    If you can't see Library folder, read this:
    How to view the ~/Library folder in Mavericks and Yosemite
    10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder - Mac OS X Hints
    why can't i see "Library" in home folder | Official Apple Support Communities
    I can't find the Library folder | Official Apple Support Communities
    Where is my Home Library Folder in El Capitan? | Official Apple Support Communities
  4. Start MBII Launcher by opening a terminal and typing:
    Code:
    cd /Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe
    And no, you CANNOT start MBII Launcher by simply clicking MBIILauncherLIN.exe or by any other way executing MBIILauncherLIN.exe directly.
    You must start Mono and pass a file name of MBII Launcher as a command-line parameter.
  5. Install Movie Battles II using Launcher.
  6. Download JKJALaunch and place it inside "/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy": Jedi Academy MP launcher for OS X - JKHub
  7. Holding Shift key, start JKJALaunch. A dialog box will appear.
  8. Browse for Jedi Academy binary. Its path usually looks like:
    /Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SWJKJA.app
    /Users/YOUR_NAME/Applications/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app
    OK button will stay disabled until correct path to JA binary is entered. Be patient and find a correct file.
  9. Copy-paste to "Command Line Parameters":
    Code:
    +set fs_game MBII
    Click OK.
  10. Start JKJALaunch without holding Shift.
Check out this thread: [SOLVED] - Problems with getting mb2 to run with mac

Last edited:
  1. Install Mono: Download | Mono
  2. Download MBII Launcher by THIS link: http://www.moviebattles.org/download/MBIILauncherLIN.exe
  3. Place MBIILauncher.exe inside this folder: "/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy" and NOT inside "/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy".
    If folder doesn't exist, create it by yourself.
    If you can't see Library folder, read this:
    How to view the ~/Library folder in Mavericks and Yosemite
    10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder - Mac OS X Hints
    why can't i see "Library" in home folder | Official Apple Support Communities
    I can't find the Library folder | Official Apple Support Communities
    Where is my Home Library Folder in El Capitan? | Official Apple Support Communities
Point three is the specific issue I was referring to before - when I decided to just start fresh and completely reinstall the game, I deleted all of the JKJA-related folders from my computer, including the "Jedi Academy MP" folder that was in Application Support.

I'm not having any trouble locating "/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/" but even after re-installing the game from the app store, the "Jedi Academy MP" folder has not reappeared within Application Support.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I'm not having any trouble locating "/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/" but even after re-installing the game from the app store, the "Jedi Academy MP" folder has not reappeared within Application Support.
So, have you tried creating that folder ("/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy") by yourself, and that complete all other steps?
Not having that folder isn't really a problem. Just make it manually.

For some reason I think it should be "Jedi Academy" and not "Jedi Academy MP", but I'm not quite sure about that.
Create "Jedi Academy" first, perform all other things, and if it won't work, rename "Jedi Academy" to "Jedi Academy MP".

Okay, I created a "Jedi Academy" folder within Application Support and opened the launcher in Terminal. This is what I came up with:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.11.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.11.44 AM.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 425
Done. So would the Terminal code now need to read: "cd /Users/MY NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy\ MP; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe" ?

Also, does there need to be anything else in the "Jedi Academy MP" folder aside from the MBII Launcher?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Done. So would the Terminal code now need to read: "cd /Users/MY NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy\ MP; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe" ?
Yes.
Also, does there need to be anything else in the "Jedi Academy MP" folder aside from the MBII Launcher?
Not yet.
MBII Launcher will install Movie Battles to "/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP".
After that, JKJALaunch should be downloaded to that folder.

And make sure you actually have Jedi Academy installed.
Make sure you can play it without issues.

Last edited:
Permission denied. It's strange because the last one at least brought up that little box, as if the launcher was actually trying to open. Terminal isn't giving me anything here though.

Is there no way for me to do this by going into "Show Package Contents" and messing around in the contents or base folders like with more basic mods? I've probably used hundreds of mods (mostly character models and maps) in this game over the years and this is the first one I've ever had problems with.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.26.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.26.10 PM.png
    708.1 KB · Views: 392

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Permission denied. It's strange because
Not strange, cause you was supposed to execute this line:
cd /Users/MY NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy\ MP; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe

But actually tried executing this:
/Users/MY NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy\ MP/MBIILauncherLIN.exe

It's not possible to run Win32 PE files on Mac directly.
Launch Mono with MBIILauncherLIN.exe as command-line parameter.
Is there no way for me to do this by going into "Show Package Contents" and messing around in the contents or base folders like with more basic mods? I've probably used hundreds of mods (mostly character models and maps) in this game over the years and this is the first one I've ever had problems with.
It's possible, but it's deprecated.

Firstly, modifying content of a bundle is not recommend at all, whether we're talking about Movie Battles or any other mod.
"Application Support" is all about add-ons.

Secondly, we don't have a single .zip archive containing MBII installation.
Instead, there are 6 (six) files those need to be downloaded and unpacked in proper order.
I repeat: YOU'LL NEED SIX FILES, NOT ONE OR TWO. THAT APPLIES TO THE TORRENT FILE AS WELL!
IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO BYPASS THIS REQUIREMENT, 6 .ZIP ARCHIVES MUST BE UNPACKED IN PROPER ORDER, OVERWRITING FILES.
Go here: Download , click "Service Terms & Downloads" on right pane and you'll get all links.

Thirdly, you can validate and automatically update MBII installation via Launcher.
It's much more reliable than constructing installation from .zip files.

So, while manual install is possible, using Launcher is recommended instead.

Not strange, cause you was supposed to execute this line:
cd /Users/MY NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy\ MP; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe

But actually tried executing this:
/Users/MY NAME/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy\ MP/MBIILauncherLIN.exe

Ah, that was stupid of me. Anyway, I tried it and I ended up with a similar error message to the first one, which I've attached.

Something else that I've noticed, which may or may not be causing an issue: When I first started trying to install this the other day, before I deleted and re-downloaded Jedi Academy, the application itself was listed in my applications folder and dock as "Jedi Academy" However, upon re-downloading it, it's now called by the full title of the game, "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy". Could that be the problem? Also, I should point out that yes, I did check to see if there was a folder by that name in the Applications Support folder, but there's nothing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 5.23.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 5.23.02 PM.png
    326.2 KB · Views: 443

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Ah, that was stupid of me. Anyway, I tried it and I ended up with a similar error message to the first one, which I've attached.
Click "No" and try installing mod anyway.
If that won't work for some reason, click "Yes" and browse for "/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP", then try installing mod.
Could that be the problem?
Probably no.
I did check to see if there was a folder by that name in the Applications Support folder, but there's nothing.
Take a look at "/Library/Application Support" (without "/Users..." stuff in the beginning).
I'm almost sure there are no JA related folders in directory, but just in case...

Click "No" and try installing mod anyway.
If that won't work for some reason, click "Yes" and browse for "/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP", then try installing mod.

Take a look at "/Library/Application Support" (without "/Users..." stuff in the beginning).
I'm almost sure there are no JA related folders in directory, but just in case...

No didn't do anything. I've tried clicking "Yes" but the when I select the Jedi Academy MP folder in Library Applications, it doesn't do anything.

Before I joined and posted this topic, I re-installed JA 3 or 4 times in hopes that the Applications Library folder would organically show back up, but it was to no avail. In the previous pictures I've posted, what's the significance of: "WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable"?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
That's all frustrating... :(
No didn't do anything. I've tried clicking "Yes" but the when I select the Jedi Academy MP folder in Library Applications, it doesn't do anything.
Are you saying that no matter you click "Yes" or "No", main Launcher's window doesn't appear?
"WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable"?
I guess it's ok.

But there are some answered questions:
Are you able to run Jedi Academy with no issues?
Have you checked "/Library/Application Support" folder?
Are you sure you didn't installed JA for some other user? Maybe "Application support" was created somewhere in "/Users/SOME_OTHER_NAME/Library"?

If nothing will work, I guess the only option is manual installation, as I described above...

That's all frustrating... :(

Are you saying that no matter you click "Yes" or "No", main Launcher's window doesn't appear?

I guess it's ok.

But there are some answered questions:
Are you able to run Jedi Academy with no issues?
Have you checked "/Library/Application Support" folder?
Are you sure you didn't installed JA for some other user? Maybe "Application support" was created somewhere in "/Users/SOME_OTHER_NAME/Library"?

If nothing will work, I guess the only option is manual installation, as I described above...

Correct. Neither answer opens the Launcher's Window.

1. Yes, Jedi Academy opens without issue and the single player version works perfectly. However, if I try to join an online server in MP, it goes to the join screen and just continuously counts up, but never actually joins. Not sure what the issue is there. Might have tried to join some custom servers that I don't have all of the contents for.
2. Yes, I've checked that and I've searched my computer top to bottom.
3. I'm the only user on my computer, so no.

HOWEVER, I did find some interesting information. I posted the technical issue of this to Mac forum (the fact that I'm downloading an app store game that used to have a application support folder, but doesn't anymore.) Someone commented and said that they believe that newer versions of Mac apps are sandboxed into the single app file and no longer have outside support. This would seem to explain why the new version of the JA app is listed by its full name in my Applications folder (it used to be called just "Jedi Academy") - it must have been updated.

So, now that everything for the app is contained within the app itself, is there anything in "Show Package Contents" that I can use for this? Or is manual installation my only option now? I may consider getting the game on Steam, as $10 isn't a problem and I really want to play MBII... but I sure do hate the idea of having to buy a game I already own.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Someone commented and said that they believe that newer versions of Mac apps are sandboxed into the single app file and no longer have outside support.
I would like to get a link to that thread.
So, now that everything for the app is contained within the app itself, is there anything in "Show Package Contents" that I can use for this? Or is manual installation my only option now?
Well, since Launcher doesn't work for you, and we are not sure about destiny of "Application Support", I guess it's time for trying a manual install MBII via "Show Package Contents".
Please read notes above about downloading six files and unpacking them in proper order.
You'll have to create a folder "MBII" right after "Show Package Contents" and put all .pk3 files there.
Then do JKJALaunch thing.

I would like to get a link to that thread.

Well, since Launcher doesn't work for you, and we are not sure about destiny of "Application Support", I guess it's time for trying a manual install MBII via "Show Package Contents".
Please read notes above about downloading six files and unpacking them in proper order.
You'll have to create a folder "MBII" right after "Show Package Contents" and put all .pk3 files there.
Then do JKJALaunch thing.

I haven't had a chance over the last few days to try the manual installation, but here's a link to the Mac forum post I made. It only got two replies, but perhaps they're helpful: Uninstalled Mac App Store game that had an Appl... | Communities