Newbie dueling

Is there any point for a newbie to start playing this game right now? From what i have seen the player base is really small and 90% of them are vets. The skill gap is ridiculously big no chance to enjoy the game if u are new. Sometimes i run into an another noskill/similarskill guy and i can duel him IF someone doesnt come and start kickin slashing pushing us. Begginers should start with open mode, instead of duel? Its really hard to improve against 100 times better and experienced players. I really like this game for now but it seems like i found it late.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I've been playing MBII since late 2006 and throughout the years I've seen new players join the game and get good in a few months. I remember when Sekundus was a noob and a few months later he became one of the best duelists this mod has ever seen and a good old rival. I've seen it time and time again and it's happened in the previous patch (previous year) several times. Someone discovers the game, is a noob, gits good through effort in a few months max and reaches a nice level.

Find a clan and make some friends and play with them, have fun and you can maybe even find a person willing to give you tips and train you. Not all ppl playing this game are good because they played it 10 years. It has changed a lot many times and the good players adapt and learn and work on their skills anew. Some players are perpetually average even though they have played MBII longer than me. So basically just make friends have fun and put in whatever effort you feel like. It's not some mysterious impenetrable game, getting the basics down and rising to mid-level is very easy because honestly, mid-level is not very good.

What @SeV said. Moviebattles II is still my favourite unofficial Star Wars Multiplayer game to date because of its surprising depth to all aspects of gameplay, it has a steep learning curve but it's definitely not insurmountable. Learning the basics is easy, applying them to combat takes some time. I recommend doing what was suggested above and look into joining a clan to get practicing as most higher level duellists tend to reside there.

It'll take time and some dedication, but it's certainly doable. And you can definitely compete at low-mid tier duelling pretty easily within about a week of play. As far as best place to learn - I say open, but if you want to learn saber vs saber then duel is the place to start.

Last edited:
I doubt its possible to learn/get on anything close to equal terms. Been playing for a while and still encounter 4+ people on most servers i have no chance of killing unless I cheese it. (I am a antisocial loser with no possibility of entering a clan or something other.)

I dunno, honestly.
Yesterday joined the only populated duel server, out of ~20 ppl only 3 or 4 were willing to actual duel. Others were laming, and stuff. How the fuck you are supposed to learn something in this case?

This is absolutely not the case. I'm considered a vet now, but I started playing this game when it was considered past its prime and became better than most of the "vets" in terms of overall skill. Dueling is a little different, because some people have played this game since its birth and still suck at it. I've also seen some people that caught on to dueling really fast and became some of the best in a matter of months. I would recommend finding a good duelist and asking him to teach you, because if you aren't some prodigy that can innovate new styles, you won't ever learn some of the mechanics and tactics that have been past down from player to player. Most high level dueling tactics are impossible to learn without someone teaching you. You also started playing during one of the worst saber patches this game has ever seen. The skill ceiling of dueling has dropped significantly, so it wouldn't be too hard to get on the same level as a vet tbh.

takes a couple of months, kinda ez to pick up especially in this patch, skill cap's really low. dont expect beating top tier duelists tho, that takes much longer.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I doubt its possible to learn/get on anything close to equal terms. Been playing for a while and still encounter 4+ people on most servers i have no chance of killing unless I cheese it. (I am a antisocial loser with no possibility of entering a clan or something other.)

This tends to be my experience as well. Under the right circumstances, I can put up a respectable fight against a lot of people I once considered unstoppable, but there are still people whose arrival on a team means that things are going to get very ugly for me, very fast... or worse, that that team will go on a nigh-unbreakable win streak.

Karus

Donator
Is there any point for a newbie to start playing this game right now? From what i have seen the player base is really small and 90% of them are vets. The skill gap is ridiculously big no chance to enjoy the game if u are new. Sometimes i run into an another noskill/similarskill guy and i can duel him IF someone doesnt come and start kickin slashing pushing us. Begginers should start with open mode, instead of duel? Its really hard to improve against 100 times better and experienced players. I really like this game for now but it seems like i found it late.
Na fam, it's never too late to pick up MBII.
If you enjoy the game, just keep playing.
Don't worry about high skill players raping you.
Sometimes it's quite funny how good players decide to end you, and this game is very random at times, so even if you suck, there's a lot of things to keep you entertained.
If you want to become the best MBII gamer the forums have ever seen, well, you're probably going to have to suffer through a miserable year of pure egocentric sweat, and beast everyone when 1.6 drops.
Trust me when I say, it's more fun being an average player on MBII anyway, so just keep playing if you enjoy it.
Also, Duel mode = Great for dueling. Saber combat only.
Open mode = Great for... I really don't know to be honest. Random explosions, teamkills, a lot of strange binds in the chat and just a generally suicidal atmosphere.