My opinion on the game

Hello! You might have seen me under a nickname CoolChester on some EU servers {BG}, TIN and other. I have played this mod for about 2 weeks (i main Jedi, Obi Wan Kenobi specifically) and felt necessary to register and tell my opinion on this mod.
First, of course, comes praise: visuals, models, maps (even though most of them were taken from KOTF and other mods) look fantastic for a game this old, notably Peneke's pack. General atmosphere and team spirit feel cool and awesome especially with these fancy voice commands. I always liked games with small and friendly communities, and this one really made me feel a part of it: i have spent so many hours playing and talking to people, making new friends and having fun. BUT.
What the HELL is this open mod? I don't get it, like at all.
Jedis.
Jedis are so incredibly WEAK. A single soldier killed me many times in a row, i couldn't even get close to him. My blocking power quickly receded to zero and i was shredded with blaster bolts. A jedi should be able to PLOUGH through enemy lines. There's no way in the world a single tiny soldier (the weakest class) could kill a jedi in the movies. Can you even imagine Obi wan dying from a battle droid on Naboo? That's absolutely ridiculous. I tried going after a super-battle-droid, but i got absolutely destroyed. I even managed to hit the droid a couple of times, but for some reason it did not stop him from shooting and slapping the s*** out of me. I understand, super-battle-droids are tough and have cortosis and are much more formiddable opponents than soldiers, but NO way a jedi wouldn't be able to kill one with ease.
My suggestion is to remove any Force Power drains from blaster shots or increase health significantly (3-4 times). A Jedi can only be stopped by a Sith. Gunners should only play support role.
Force Powers.
Why could i not push over the above mentioned soldier many times in a row? Nor could i pull him. Range is insanely small, they don't even feel like Force Powers at all. The 2005 Battlefront 2 did the jedi and sith much better and realistically. You could push over gunners (what is obviously expected) AND you could crush enemy defenses for your team to follow! Of course the opposing team has the same opportunity with their Sith/Jedi. That felt absolutely amazing and rewarding. The jedi in this game do not feel like jedis at all. You should probably rename them into "guys with rave sticks who can't kill even soldiers."
My suggestion is to cap the Jedi class, so only one player is able to play it at a time and buff significantly. It worked perfectly in the old Battlefront 2, and it will work here.
Guns
Please do not think that i didn't try gunners, i did try them and enjoyed playing a lot. Especially i enjoyed dying from a random sniper shot and then sitting in Spectator Mode for the rest of the match! I tried soldiers, commanders and clones, but everyone is just waiting on the opposite side of that long corridor on naboo and you can't even peek -- you get killed instantly from disruptor rifles or droidekas.
Wookies. i tried playing wookie, got some kills, got killed many more times, not complaining. But what bothers me is that i saw Siths running from wookies. WHAT? Darth Maul is now afraid of a wookie? Then i learned that they are completely IMMUNE to Force Powers! WHAT? They don't even flinch from a Force Push or a Force Pull. You just can't invent rules like this in a game just because you want so. There are some universal rules that cannot be broken by characters "because they feel too underpowered or overpowered" for the sake of balance. Put a ysalamir lizard on their shoulders at least (to explain their Force Powers resistance).
Team Kill points system.
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN MAKING THIS ABOMINATION? I landed one unsuccessful frag grenade and after that every single time i hit somebody i got switched into spectator mode automatically! It really felt like the game itself was trolling me! Left after a few rounds. Never going to play guns again, honestly.
Duels.
This combat system feels weird, clunky, unintuitive. Once i dueled a guy who stood absolutely still, tanked ALL of my hits, sometimes attacked me with a single hit and (surprise) won the duel every time. I counted the amount of hits i landed on him. 34. He hit me 3 times. Sometimes my saber just fell of my arms for no reason, sometimes he slapped me, kicked and punched me until i died. When i slapped him he, of course, wouldn't fall.
Base did it much better, even though sabers felt "transparent". You hit an enemy -- you damage him. You get hit -- you lose health. It is as simple as that. In MBII i hit an enemy 34 times -- i die.
Why not introduce the same or similar simple system here?
Modes
Ok. There is this open mode, duel mode, why is there no Free for all mode where i, or any other new player could practice different classes without the risk of waiting for 5 GODDAMNED MINUTES in Spectator Mode? It would really fix all of the problems i listed for open mode, because you would respawn instantly. CTF would be amazing in MBII! so many cool opportunities to expand the gameplay possibilities but i see none of those.
Teams.
It is a rare occasion when they are even, or there are no CE.7 guys in a single team with k/d like 100/10. A game is fun when both sides are enjoying it. Why is it even possible to switch sides when the opposing team has more players or has significantly more wins? Is it hard to program the cap or what? Really, what is the reason behind this i really want to hear it.
Sorry, if some of my words sounded harsh. I really like the vibe this mod has and all of the fun and cool people here (Like Midgee and gumai), but open mode is incredibly frustrating and something has to be done about it. I really REALLY want to enjoy playing it. Looking forward to the new update, hope you consider some of my suggestions.

I think what Pekrew and Gargos are saying, is that Jedi is the most powerful class right now - but only in the hands of people with a lot of time behind their belt. With new players it's the weakest class in the game.

Why?

It encourages players to try other classes and diversify the MB2 gameplay. Your recommendation of 1 Jedi per team would achieve the same thing, but giving people the choice of what to play is often the better alternative.

As an aside, I just finished playing and took this screencap specifically for this thread, just to show how over-powered Jedi is in open.
NotHard.png

With new players it's the weakest class in the game.
It honestly isn't. Once you get over the Battlefront 2 mentality, Saberists have a distinctly lower barrier of entry than gunners and it completely throws off the balance of the game.

Rev

Jedi vs gunners has always been a fine balance of force use and evasion skills, where the real problem lies in in jedi vs sith combat right now. You lost versus gunners because you failed to read any relevant info on how to fight them. Where you would lose even with practice is vs other saber users who have figured out this extremely clunky system, while people who played this game in 2005 and are now coming back to try it again are struggling with awkward, unfleshed out concepts that have no place in a game like this.

There was a time where your force would drain extremely fast fighting gunners, and then they made it the opposite. I feel like gunner vs jedi is at a very good place right now if you play patiently and know when to attack and when not to. If you are still playing, I recommend you look at some of the guides or join a guild/clan/group willing to teach you the basics of fighting blaster users. It's not that difficult.

What do you mean by that? That i am stupid? That the Teamkill points system is good and reasonable and i am missing something? Could you elaborate please for a stupid person.

Before that grenade i had about 60 Team Kill points. The grenade killed a hero and the points went up instantly to 360. After that i couldn't shoot unless i was sure i was alone, but even then some of my teammates popped out behind corners where enemies were supposed to be.

How is this self-entitlement? I am addressing real problems here that exist and that many people agree with me on. Except for the Jedi part, maybe, but that's just an opinion.

Thank you for your reply! This sounds reasonbable if you put it like this, but shouldn't the game be a bit more welcoming to the new players? If it weren't for cool people, models and RP i would've deinstalled the game by now.
Don't expect any changes, the sandbox/free for all mode is never going to be implemented.

The active players who play this are very content with the game as it is because their fairly toxic and think that making it balanced or even just more fun for new players is bad.

The game has a lot of potential and some devs are pretty friendly which makes MB2 fun for a long time, however the devs who want to change things are going to take ages developing new things and the devs are too scared to give too much equipment or buffs to one class (devs reward deflecting by making fp drain slower whilst being shot at ffs)

but yeahh good luck actually bringing up any suggestion without the usual "Get gud fgt" which is probably why this mod is starting to decline.

Don't expect any changes, the sandbox/free for all mode is never going to be implemented.

The active players who play this are very content with the game as it is because their fairly toxic and think that making it balanced or even just more fun for new players is bad.

The game has a lot of potential and some devs are pretty friendly which makes MB2 fun for a long time, however the devs who want to change things are going to take ages developing new things and the devs are too scared to give too much equipment or buffs to one class (devs reward deflecting by making fp drain slower whilst being shot at ffs)

but yeahh good luck actually bringing up any suggestion without the usual "Get gud fgt" which is probably why this mod is starting to decline.
Big words for someone ridiculously out of touch with the game

2cwldys

Donator
Internal Beta Team

Kind of rude don't you think? I wouldn't say that every player is toxic, and not all players hold this kind of ideal view about the community.
Not saying there aren't toxic players, but this is a mod based around a 16~ year old game for star wars fans that has lore and cultural consensus based on the typical child's attention span and love for star wars. I never doubted from the start that playing MBII wouldn't have me come across an obnoxious, snotty nosed kid every once in a while.

I'd say the reason why CERTAIN people in particular complain about balance or any sort of saber adjustment is rather simple, I myself had to relearn about four to five times (or more) due to patch changes with sabering over the years but I never try to explode over it too much. Dueling clans are usually the first impacted, and they share their attrition. Some people take it different ways, it's really hard to relearn everything again. There are a few others here and there that nitpick at every little nefarious change that every developer does but that doesn't persuade or jade them in any way. They understand certain players get upset but there's nothing to do but look forward.

EDIT: To also touch on the "making it balanced or even just more fun for new players is bad" is not really a valid point. I think anything that can allow new players to get this system down pat easier and to find a player to be their master should be ideal and a good thing, while allowing us to persist in our dueling skill and or muscle memory/ knowledge.

Last edited:
Kind of rude don't you think? I wouldn't say that every player is toxic, and not all players hold this kind of ideal view about the community.
Not saying there aren't toxic players, but this is a mod based around a 16~ year old game for star wars fans that has lore and cultural consensus based on the typical child's attention span and love for star wars. I never doubted from the start that playing MBII wouldn't have me come across an obnoxious, snotty nosed kid every once in a while.

I'd say the reason why CERTAIN people in particular complain about balance or any sort of saber adjustment is rather simple, I myself had to relearn about four to five times (or more) due to patch changes with sabering over the years but I never try to explode over it too much. Dueling clans are usually the first impacted, and they share their attrition. Some people take it different ways, it's really hard to relearn everything again. There are a few others here and there that nitpick at every little nefarious change that every developer does but that doesn't persuade or jade them in any way. They understand certain players get upset but there's nothing to do but look forward.

EDIT: To also touch on the "making it balanced or even just more fun for new players is bad" is not really a valid point. I think anything that can allow new players to get this system down pat easier and to find a player to be their master should be ideal and a good thing, while allowing us to persist in our dueling skill and or muscle memory/ knowledge.
There is no reason to find a master, you just have to practice tons and get shat on by the experienced players to eventually copy the only effective way to duel. unlike one developer i talked to the rest want these duels to be centered around yellow since that's the only effective style (I'm a decent duelist and i've never seen or been beaten by anyone using any other style) whereas each style should have its own unique flavour and should be balanced to make each duel a different experience though i won't doubt that red can certainly change the way you duel in most circumstances.

but i find it ridiculous how doing a risky move such as the backstab punishes you more than it rewards you, or when you do a special move and the veteran players appear unaffected, even in open most classes can barely do any damage to an experienced player because the fp is too high so they just run up to the gunners and slice them when the saberists should be deflecting more and the gunners should be innovating new ways to kill the sith (poison/grenades/melee/vibroblade/flamethrower/turrets <- atleast two of these per class to stop overpowered duelists running through the map slaughtering noobs without a second thought. To be fair i don't think anyone would complain if Purple was the best dueling style even if it was overpowered i'd be possible to dodge which would make it more fun to duel against.

2cwldys

Donator
Internal Beta Team
There is no reason to find a master, you just have to practice tons and get shat on by the experienced players to eventually copy the only effective way to duel. unlike one developer i talked to the rest want these duels to be centered around yellow since that's the only effective style (I'm a decent duelist and i've never seen or been beaten by anyone using any other style) whereas each style should have its own unique flavour and should be balanced to make each duel a different experience though i won't doubt that red can certainly change the way you duel in most circumstances.

Wew lad.

I went knee high in worm shit.

I lost you after "no reason to find a master", but continue to read afterward. The entire premise towards me learning this game was from finding a respectful duelist to teach me. Not implying you can't self learn as stated either. This also isn't a challenge but I can probably use other styles as well pretty effectively, but I'm not doubting that yellow is most definitely widely used /every/ patch.

though i won't doubt that red can certainly change the way you duel in most circumstances.

Of course it would, using other styles effectively dips you out of the average pool of duelists, expanding your skill. You should always master yellow I personally believe before moving to anything else, but I also encourage others to "you do you."

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The real trouble with styles other than yellow is not the balance of them, whether they are weaker or stronger than yellow. The real trouble is that they don't feel nearly as fun to use or play against as they could if they were expanded upon properly. Since around 2008 I've been thinking that the lore lightsaber forms should be a thing in Moviebattles II. It's part of what made OJP such a cool system. Honestly, when you compare potential to actualization, the current MBII dueling system is pathetic. It could be so much more.

On the topic of duelists. I don't think you're a real duelist if you can't at least use blue and red semi-competently. Finding and learning from a master is a great RP'ish element which also has other benefits. When I first became good at dueling, I did so by watching other skilled players and copying what they did until I understood the basic principles behind their actions. This is merely a stepping stone to becoming an ordinary mid-tier duelist, no more. After that, you must find your own path. Even within the current limited system, the top duelists have decently distinct styles, though not nearly as much as I would like.

Tbh, I haven't played the game since my last video on 1.5.3 because I just find the current saber system too boring and open mode is also rather unsatisfactory atm. My main critique of the current system is that the styles don't feel unique enough and that the current system is mostly suited for 1v1 but doesn't work particularly well in open mode or 1vx compared to other systems we've had in the past or on beta. I am simply bored because it's too flat. Maybe for the majority of people, it still holds depth, but for people at my level of skill it feels flat and stale, especially because I can reference it against the past systems, OJP and current beta versions that are far superior. Now, why it isn't being worked on, why we aren't running stassin/tempests systems through open betas on the client consistently, is a mystery. I get that devs are busy and all, but surely they can at least do something? Months and years pass and we are left with a system which is only like 10% of what it could be in terms of cool-factor, depth and skill and over-all fun and suitability for the game. Damn shame.

If some people enjoy the current 1.3 aimed PB off-shoots of dueling, then that's great, but I simply cannot enjoy it any longer. I think we need a breath of fresh air both in open mode and in dueling. Experiment and go crazy with fun and madness and lean heavily on old starwars RP lore instead of the shitty disney trash that has the audacity to masquerade as starwars.

The real trouble with styles other than yellow is not the balance of them, whether they are weaker or stronger than yellow. The real trouble is that they don't feel nearly as fun to use or play against as they could if they were expanded upon properly. Since around 2008 I've been thinking that the lore lightsaber forms should be a thing in Moviebattles II. It's part of what made OJP such a cool system. Honestly, when you compare potential to actualization, the current MBII dueling system is pathetic. It could be so much more.

On the topic of duelists. I don't think you're a real duelist if you can't at least use blue and red semi-competently. Finding and learning from a master is a great RP'ish element which also has other benefits. When I first became good at dueling, I did so by watching other skilled players and copying what they did until I understood the basic principles behind their actions. This is merely a stepping stone to becoming an ordinary mid-tier duelist, no more. After that, you must find your own path. Even within the current limited system, the top duelists have decently distinct styles, though not nearly as much as I would like.

Tbh, I haven't played the game since my last video on 1.5.3 because I just find the current saber system too boring and open mode is also rather unsatisfactory atm. My main critique of the current system is that the styles don't feel unique enough and that the current system is mostly suited for 1v1 but doesn't work particularly well in open mode or 1vx compared to other systems we've had in the past or on beta. I am simply bored because it's too flat. Maybe for the majority of people, it still holds depth, but for people at my level of skill it feels flat and stale, especially because I can reference it against the past systems, OJP and current beta versions that are far superior. Now, why it isn't being worked on, why we aren't running stassin/tempests systems through open betas on the client consistently, is a mystery. I get that devs are busy and all, but surely they can at least do something? Months and years pass and we are left with a system which is only like 10% of what it could be in terms of cool-factor, depth and skill and over-all fun and suitability for the game. Damn shame.

If some people enjoy the current 1.3 aimed PB off-shoots of dueling, then that's great, but I simply cannot enjoy it any longer. I think we need a breath of fresh air both in open mode and in dueling. Experiment and go crazy with fun and madness and lean heavily on old starwars RP lore instead of the shitty disney trash that has the audacity to masquerade as starwars.
I'm much in agreement, however making something like purple more powerful would incentivise a new way of dueling which is more focused on dodging the slow purple attacks, and hopefully one dev has said that he'd like to bring back an overpowered version of the purple spin move.

I like the idea of having a master too, however you're basically bullied by the devs themselves if you roleplay, and roleplay is not incentivised because nobody joins clans which is bad because clans keep players on the game. but i think this could easily be fixed by having some place to feature your clans perhaps even on the discord and involve the clans in some events.

I can agree MB2 is very fun and is very open like, however the devs could open more things up and try get slightly more involved in the community and bring in more players and more members to clans.

idk i'm kind of talking out of my ass rn, i've said things similar to this before but it really sucks seeing this potentially perfect mod being neither streamlined or being fun, they literally have models for geonosian guns and vibroblades but you can't get them out in any game mode because there is no actual "open mode" where you can do/get what you want.

i'm drunk, and my gf is on holiday and i'm lonely rn please don't bully

2cwldys

Donator
Internal Beta Team
i'm drunk, and my gf is on holiday and i'm lonely rn please don't bully

Mood

Tbh, I haven't played the game since my last video on 1.5.3

Nice to hear from you again SeV! :)

I love the highly accurate points you made, and I very much appreciate the videos over the years identifying the various saber styles into forms with an RP mentality. Makes it feel like your learning it for much much more.