My opinion on the game

Hello! You might have seen me under a nickname CoolChester on some EU servers {BG}, TIN and other. I have played this mod for about 2 weeks (i main Jedi, Obi Wan Kenobi specifically) and felt necessary to register and tell my opinion on this mod.
First, of course, comes praise: visuals, models, maps (even though most of them were taken from KOTF and other mods) look fantastic for a game this old, notably Peneke's pack. General atmosphere and team spirit feel cool and awesome especially with these fancy voice commands. I always liked games with small and friendly communities, and this one really made me feel a part of it: i have spent so many hours playing and talking to people, making new friends and having fun. BUT.
What the HELL is this open mod? I don't get it, like at all.
Jedis.
Jedis are so incredibly WEAK. A single soldier killed me many times in a row, i couldn't even get close to him. My blocking power quickly receded to zero and i was shredded with blaster bolts. A jedi should be able to PLOUGH through enemy lines. There's no way in the world a single tiny soldier (the weakest class) could kill a jedi in the movies. Can you even imagine Obi wan dying from a battle droid on Naboo? That's absolutely ridiculous. I tried going after a super-battle-droid, but i got absolutely destroyed. I even managed to hit the droid a couple of times, but for some reason it did not stop him from shooting and slapping the s*** out of me. I understand, super-battle-droids are tough and have cortosis and are much more formiddable opponents than soldiers, but NO way a jedi wouldn't be able to kill one with ease.
My suggestion is to remove any Force Power drains from blaster shots or increase health significantly (3-4 times). A Jedi can only be stopped by a Sith. Gunners should only play support role.
Force Powers.
Why could i not push over the above mentioned soldier many times in a row? Nor could i pull him. Range is insanely small, they don't even feel like Force Powers at all. The 2005 Battlefront 2 did the jedi and sith much better and realistically. You could push over gunners (what is obviously expected) AND you could crush enemy defenses for your team to follow! Of course the opposing team has the same opportunity with their Sith/Jedi. That felt absolutely amazing and rewarding. The jedi in this game do not feel like jedis at all. You should probably rename them into "guys with rave sticks who can't kill even soldiers."
My suggestion is to cap the Jedi class, so only one player is able to play it at a time and buff significantly. It worked perfectly in the old Battlefront 2, and it will work here.
Guns
Please do not think that i didn't try gunners, i did try them and enjoyed playing a lot. Especially i enjoyed dying from a random sniper shot and then sitting in Spectator Mode for the rest of the match! I tried soldiers, commanders and clones, but everyone is just waiting on the opposite side of that long corridor on naboo and you can't even peek -- you get killed instantly from disruptor rifles or droidekas.
Wookies. i tried playing wookie, got some kills, got killed many more times, not complaining. But what bothers me is that i saw Siths running from wookies. WHAT? Darth Maul is now afraid of a wookie? Then i learned that they are completely IMMUNE to Force Powers! WHAT? They don't even flinch from a Force Push or a Force Pull. You just can't invent rules like this in a game just because you want so. There are some universal rules that cannot be broken by characters "because they feel too underpowered or overpowered" for the sake of balance. Put a ysalamir lizard on their shoulders at least (to explain their Force Powers resistance).
Team Kill points system.
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN MAKING THIS ABOMINATION? I landed one unsuccessful frag grenade and after that every single time i hit somebody i got switched into spectator mode automatically! It really felt like the game itself was trolling me! Left after a few rounds. Never going to play guns again, honestly.
Duels.
This combat system feels weird, clunky, unintuitive. Once i dueled a guy who stood absolutely still, tanked ALL of my hits, sometimes attacked me with a single hit and (surprise) won the duel every time. I counted the amount of hits i landed on him. 34. He hit me 3 times. Sometimes my saber just fell of my arms for no reason, sometimes he slapped me, kicked and punched me until i died. When i slapped him he, of course, wouldn't fall.
Base did it much better, even though sabers felt "transparent". You hit an enemy -- you damage him. You get hit -- you lose health. It is as simple as that. In MBII i hit an enemy 34 times -- i die.
Why not introduce the same or similar simple system here?
Modes
Ok. There is this open mode, duel mode, why is there no Free for all mode where i, or any other new player could practice different classes without the risk of waiting for 5 GODDAMNED MINUTES in Spectator Mode? It would really fix all of the problems i listed for open mode, because you would respawn instantly. CTF would be amazing in MBII! so many cool opportunities to expand the gameplay possibilities but i see none of those.
Teams.
It is a rare occasion when they are even, or there are no CE.7 guys in a single team with k/d like 100/10. A game is fun when both sides are enjoying it. Why is it even possible to switch sides when the opposing team has more players or has significantly more wins? Is it hard to program the cap or what? Really, what is the reason behind this i really want to hear it.
Sorry, if some of my words sounded harsh. I really like the vibe this mod has and all of the fun and cool people here (Like Midgee and gumai), but open mode is incredibly frustrating and something has to be done about it. I really REALLY want to enjoy playing it. Looking forward to the new update, hope you consider some of my suggestions.

Thank you, and no this is not a bait, that is frustration and anger.
So you do actually want jedi and sith to be op as shit? Git gud. Any class in this game can be incredibly op with the right person behind it. Dueling can be a bit unintuitive, but by no means is it bad. Just read a guide and I'm sure you'll change your mind on base doing it better

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Oh my god, I love this post. It's hilarious. No ill will intended here, and we are all entitled to our own opinions. I just find this very amusing.

Basically, even though the game is called Moviebattles II, it does not emulate every aspect we see in the movies, such as Obi-wan slaughtering droids by the dozens with ease. I do think that there are many things the mod can do better, but basically it's a complete hell in the dev sphere trying to get anything through. I sometimes wish someone sensible would just hitler the devteam and push some sensible changes through so that things start moving and changing. You can basically go away for a year and nothing much will have changed.

Gunner vs jedi combat is dissatisfactory. Flinch is a bad mechanic. Jedi/sith should be able to use their force powers more freely and there should be knockback instead of flinch. Jedi/sith healthpool should be increased to 150 and passively regen to max 50 when meditating.

Gunners should have more tools and tricks such as grenades, darts and various weapons and other gadgets like sentinel droids and force fields etc in order to contain the jedi/sith. There are many unused weapons and other assets like stealth cloak, grappling hook, sentinel droid and turrent and force fields, cryogrenades etc.
Add some new classes and new forcepowers and spice things up.

Design for fun rather than total balance. Rock/paper/scissors rather than every class = every other class.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
First, of course, comes praise: visuals, models, maps (even though most of them were taken from KOTF and other mods) look fantastic for a game this old, notably Peneke's pack.

This is actually the other way around, most of the stuff you see in KOTF, Movie Duels, etc was originally made by us for Movie Battles and then those teams asked for permission to use it. We're the much older, larger, mod in comparison to those. We're actually older than Jedi Academy itself.

Jedis are so incredibly WEAK. A single soldier killed me many times in a row, i couldn't even get close to him.

I would say that this is mainly due to an experience difference between the two players. Jedi is one of the strongest classes in the game right now, but it does have a pretty high learning curve. Most classes also need a decent amount of knowledge of the levels to get to max efficiency. Gotta pick your battles rather than charging in. We are working on tutorials to help explain all of this better to new players.

Why could i not push over the above mentioned soldier many times in a row? Nor could i pull him. Range is insanely small, they don't even feel like Force Powers at all.

Yeah, this definitely says inexperience to me. For one, push range is dependent on the level so if you think you need more range, you need to dump points into it. Secondly, at max range, push range is pretty massive. If you have played mb2_dotf (non classic) the total push range is roughly 7/8ths the length of the stairs to throne, with knockdown range being roughly 3/4ths of the total length. Im pretty sure max total range on push 3 is over 1000 in-game units. Though that is max knockback range. An enemy can walk to mitigate push, which is likely what the soldier was doing. Running to bait a push (which leaves you vulnerable for a small window), but walking right before you actually hit the button. This is again something we plan on explaining more when we get to the tutorials involving jedi/sith

Team Kill points system.

This is mainly dependent on the server you are joining. Most servers raise the point requirements slightly. A single frag grenade shoudn't do that, unless you killed like half of a full team of single life classes. If you think a particular server might have too low of a limit, you can petition that servers admins to raise it slightly. Or ask nicely to have them refund points temporarily. Some servers will do that if they can tell it was an accident from a new player. The system is pretty good at preventing trolling or consistent griefing.

It would really fix all of the problems i listed for open mode, because you would respawn instantly. CTF would be amazing in MBII! so many cool opportunities to expand the gameplay possibilities but i see none of those.

We have several new game modes planned for the future which will have the possibility of faster respawns (typically not instant, but like say 10 seconds if youre a soldier, vs 30 seconds for a jedi). You can see our roadmap here Trello (Under resources here on the forums). The game modes are CTF, Conquest, Conquest Domination, Balance of Power, and Payload, that will all be able to use the other respawn system. We won't ever be doing a full FFA mode though, as we believe having an actual in-level objective as an integral part of our game.

Why is it even possible to switch sides when the opposing team has more players or has significantly more wins? Is it hard to program the cap or what? Really, what is the reason behind this i really want to hear it.

This is again something that is dependent on the server you are joining. We allow servers to choose if they want to have balancing restrictions, and how strict that balancing restriction is. So for example the server can choose to have a strict balancing and only allow a max of 1 player difference in team size, but another server can choose 3 players as the max difference. They can also enable shuffling, which will periodically shuffle players at random.

I am hoping we can start getting tutorials rolling out soon as we should be working harder to make the new player experience better to prevent some of the confusions that have happened here.

Thank you for your elaborate reply, Mace
This is actually the other way around, most of the stuff you see in KOTF, Movie Duels, etc was originally made by us for Movie Battles and then those teams asked for permission to use it. We're the much older, larger, mod in comparison to those. We're actually older than Jedi Academy itself.
I did not know that sorry, did not mean to miscredit all the people working on Movie Battles 2.
We won't ever be doing a full FFA mode though, as we believe having an actual in-level objective as an integral part of our game.
What i meant behind "FFA" is a mode like "Duel Mode", but only for gunners, or for all classes (maybe with addition of customization what classes can participate, their health, loadouts, kind of like in Full Authentic.
We have several new game modes planned for the future which will have the possibility of faster respawns (typically not instant, but like say 10 seconds if youre a soldier, vs 30 seconds for a jedi). You can see our roadmap here Trello (Under resources here on the forums). The game modes are CTF, Conquest, Conquest Domination, Balance of Power, and Payload, that will all be able to use the other respawn system.
That is very cool and exciting to hear!
So you do actually want jedi and sith to be op as shit?
Yes, with only one single Jedi on a battlefield at a time. People will team up on them and it will allow for cool strategic decisions, and will break the stale gameplay that i have observed on DOTF and Deathstar with teams staring at each other for minutes, doing nothing.
Sounds like you want to turn MB2 into Battlefront 2, but why? You should go play BF2 instead.
No, no, i just suggested a Jedi role rewamp, that is all, except for all the other things i felt dissatisfied with.
Gunners should have more tools and tricks such as grenades
I played some Full Authentic mode and it was INCREDIBLY fun, so many more possibilities for fun than in fully customizeable Open Mode. I wonder why people scarcely play it.

That is very cool and exciting to hear!
Prepare for 10 exciting years of
b03eb-clip-5kb.jpg
for the time devs will eventually implement that :)

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
What i meant behind "FFA" is a mode like "Duel Mode", but only for gunners, or for all classes (maybe with addition of customization what classes can participate, their health, loadouts, kind of like in Full Authentic.

This is something that is already possible, and a few servers have done it in the past year or so. We have a server setting where you can exclude classes from being chosen at all. So you can just tell it to remove jedi and sith, and voila, gunner only mode. Most people just join the same servers they normally play on though, so not much change ends up happening.

It is by no means stale,they are staring because half of them are stupid and have no idea of how to actually play, idk about eu, but I don't normally see a server with smart jedi or sith on much, cept maybe pande, aod members still play

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Welcome to the REAL jedi simulator. You will be miserably bad when you first play this but if you grind enough years into this game (both jedi and gunner: if you know how to play gunner then you will know how to counter it better) then you can become the jedi you are dreaming of. Just as it takes years of hard training to become a jedi in star wars universe, the same applies to mb2.

I mean, you can defeat that sold if you know what youre doing no problem. But then again even as experienced jedi you might have difficulties with droidekas and sbds (this is canon, even the sbds! Imagine these are those uber sbds from the new thrawn novel with cortosis and magnetic plating that even anakin would have lost to 1v1, look it up). Then the jedi has to fight skilled mandalorians, bounty hunters which against jedi also have difficulties to deal with in sw lore. Just become the self righteous master of the jedi yourself by years of training and you will find so much more satisfaction in killing your enemies that way compared to taking op hero in battlefront 2 and just chop choping the enemies mindlessly.

To sum it up:
”Battlefront jedi, is it stronger than the mb2 jedi?”
”No, no no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive.”

Trust me, it is so much more fun to throw ppl around with grip as vader and then pushing them into the abyss when it is so much harder to do compared to ez version of this in battlefront 2.

Welcome to the REAL jedi simulator. You will be miserably bad when you first play this but if you grind enough years into this game (both jedi and gunner: if you know how to play gunner then you will know how to counter it better) then you can become the jedi you are dreaming of. Just as it takes years of hard training to become a jedi in star wars universe, the same applies to mb2.

I mean, you can defeat that sold if you know what youre doing no problem. But then again even as experienced jedi you might have difficulties with droidekas and sbds (this is canon, even the sbds! Imagine these are those uber sbds from the new thrawn novel with cortosis and magnetic plating that even anakin would have lost to 1v1, look it up). Then the jedi has to fight skilled mandalorians, bounty hunters which against jedi also have difficulties to deal with in sw lore. Just become the self righteous master of the jedi yourself by years of training and you will find so much more satisfaction in killing your enemies that way compared to taking op hero in battlefront 2 and just chop choping the enemies mindlessly.

To sum it up:

Trust me, it is so much more fun to throw ppl around with grip as vader and then pushing them into the abyss when it is so much harder to do compared to ez version of this in battlefront 2.
Quoted for truth.

Practice makes perfect. Know your enemy, and keep a convenient / handy control scheme.

To sum it up:

this man speaks the truth, the struggles he has to go through to choke me out in this game makes it all the more satisfying when it happens compared to pressing 1 button in bf2.

I dunno, I main Jedi and usually slaughter enemies like animals.

Honestly I want to see Cort 2 make a comeback.

Welcome to the REAL jedi simulator.
you might have difficulties with droidekas and sbds (this is canon, even the sbds! Imagine these are those uber sbds from the new thrawn novel with cortosis and magnetic plating that even anakin would have lost to 1v1, look it up).

Preach it.

giphy.gif

What do you mean by that? That i am stupid? That the Teamkill points system is good and reasonable and i am missing something? Could you elaborate please for a stupid person.
A single frag grenade shoudn't do that, unless you killed like half of a full team of single life classes
Before that grenade i had about 60 Team Kill points. The grenade killed a hero and the points went up instantly to 360. After that i couldn't shoot unless i was sure i was alone, but even then some of my teammates popped out behind corners where enemies were supposed to be.
That's an astounding amount of entitlement for 2 weeks of experience
How is this self-entitlement? I am addressing real problems here that exist and that many people agree with me on. Except for the Jedi part, maybe, but that's just an opinion.
Just become the self righteous master of the jedi yourself by years of training and you will find so much more satisfaction
Thank you for your reply! This sounds reasonbable if you put it like this, but shouldn't the game be a bit more welcoming to the new players? If it weren't for cool people, models and RP i would've deinstalled the game by now.