MovieBattles II Version 1.5 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Defiant, May 28, 2018.

1. reConfigured

reConfigured Movie Battles II Team

In my own duels against sufficiently skilled opponents it seems that I'm completely shutdown by PBs. Sometimes I can, using enough unpredictable swings, build ACM. And from there I've usually annoyed a turtling duelist to move and can occasionally find the upper-hand. A couple things work against me here though...
    • The Scenario: Me against a turtling duelist. In this context I define Turtling as someone solely focusing on PBs up until the moment that they must fight for life.
    • Other Details: Fighting for Life is a concept that I borrow from Go - in Go there are many situations where one must immediately react to a certain set of moves by an opponent or otherwise risk losing an entire group - worse the entire game. Life or Death situations in Go tend to be played back to back: a necessary skirmish in a game where playing moves globally all-over the board is just as important. And although there are many necessary components of play aside from this skirmish, Life or Death Situations are predicaments designed by an attacker and are meant to force back-to-back responses.
    • The Problem: Unless I'm incredibly patient and force myself to turtle too, I end wasting too much of my own BP trying to build ACM. It's pretty common this build for me to build high ACM, only to have 25-40 BP left to fight it out. Meanwhile my opponent who has PB'd at least a quarter of my swings has full BP and he gains this BP no matter the swing - . Someone, especially with more saber knowledge, is welcome check my math on this and I'm sure it's highly variable based many factors in a duel... but on average, if someone can PB at least 1/4th of my swings they remain AHEAD in the duel up until I've gained near-full ACM... and the kicker... it's by doing nothing but aiming for those PB zones. This isn't even including footwork. And by the time I build this ACM to encourage the turtle to begin the real fight, I've lowered my own BP to at least 40 while he sits much closer to 100BP.
    • Rightfully so, predictability should cost me in a duel. I'd argue PBs already serve that purpose by negating that swing especially considering the higher damages and lower defenses across the board compared to last build, but that's a lazy arguement in and of itself - following the logic, I can just follow up an predictable swing with another mindless, yet, unpredictable swing and then I've gained something for little cost - just like PBs that gain BP. And in the past few builds this was paramount to my style, me being somewhat of a half-swing/two-hit combo spammer. However these two phenomena are not equal... the ACM I gain is far outweighed, mathematically, by the BP that the opponent gains and the only way I can make it even is by gaining ACM and sufficiently turtling to keep it. At best this turns the duel into a turn by turn -esque system. One person tries his set of attacks, stop and waits for a response. Rinse repeat. And in my eyes, this is what leads to people saying "Whoever PB better wins,". Resource is king. Gaining resource at low cost to self is the smoothest course to sail - not the only one as you might think these people are suggesting, but the easiest... so in other words.. "The Meta".
    • Conclusion: I've always enjoyed this game's dueling for it's hit for hit gameplay and I feel the current state is not hit for hit in the slightest, because PBs count for more than hits, in the end.
    • Disclaimer: My thoughts here don't represent the development team's findings/analyzation of the recent patch. There are much better duelists than myself. There are much better saber coders than myself. And most are better to listen to, than me, in this thread. That aside... Do know that the dev team is actively taking note of feedback and already have plans on how to move forward. Despite controversy, the devs do listen, I hope with continued efforts that we can prove that. Show don't tell.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    DirkLaserMaster likes this.
  2. reConfigured

reConfigured Movie Battles II Team

The above scenario is from the perspective of me losing in situations where maybe I shouldn't (or at least not as absolutely). But there is a similar issue around me surviving when I shouldn't, too. Being a mid-tier duelist on a good day, I am regularly surviving against a duelist who have expended lot of effort to fight for control and who have completely out-paced me with as much as one or two solid PBs... and by the time the opponent orchestrates a response I'm at 50BP again. From there I can sometimes eek out the win, or at the very least, needlessly extend the duel. It doesn't seem deserving for how little effort it took to PB. Think... I read at minimum two of his swings and that is enough to bring me back against someone that clearly has me outmatched? Bah hum bug.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. DirkLaserMaster

DirkLaserMaster

really good post!

I was a brand new baby nub near the end of 1.4.9. Coming into 1.5 I didn't even really understand any of the changes as I was still learning the saber system..

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Sunchayne

Sunchayne

You're patch is paradoxical to itself : I'm talking only for duel changes.

Globaly you removed the ACM, honestly for this i'm neutral even if it was a welcome plus during duels when suddenly u get fucked but with the luck u got, ACM came and then make you win.
    But but but this patch is not good because of PB, yes in the last patch PB wasn't really effective or present, but now he is TOO EFFECTIVE ! Bois chill on PB

Exemple : In a duel where no one is doing PB, but you swings are better than him, you slap good ect, and suddenly a savage PB appear from your ennemy, and this only single gay PB changes everything in the duel and make you lose, only 1 PB can change everything, wtf bois.

Plus on some duel i was like doing 4 pb instead him was doing 1 pb and he was still winning plus I was still doing good combos without running and I lost, he was like with 50 bp at the end, always
    Sometimes I was 75bp and him he was in same wave
    He just needded 1 pb on my combo and I was going on 50 and then he needed 1 4 hits combo and I died.

It's in this that the patch is paradoxical to itself
    To have played many duels, analysing and trying to correct my mystakes, changing everything in my gameplay. I can't tell you that you're duels change, sorry for the world, really sucks.

5. DirkLaserMaster

DirkLaserMaster

maybe you should git gud

EDIT

OKAY BOI FIRST OF ALL ACM IS NOT REMOVED FROM THE GAME. YOU KNOW HOW MANY DUELS I WIN BECAUSE OF ACM? ALOT. MAYBE YOUR COMBOS SUCK? ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LAND SMART, WELL TIMED COMBOS, AND SPACE OUT YOUR SWINGS. ACM IS JUST HARDER TO GET IF YOU SUQ. PBS AINT GAY BOI U R.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    PuNk likes this.
  6. DirkLaserMaster

DirkLaserMaster

EDIT EDIT
    IM NOT A FAN OF THE PB BUFF EITHER BUT IT DOESNT RUIN THE GAME. I DONT LAND ALOT OF PBS BUT I CAN STILL WIN DUELS VERY OFTEN WITH MY LASERMASTERSKILLS

7. Townsend

Townsend

dueling is fine in this update,it's better...

8. PuNk

PuNk Internal Beta Team

As I told you on discord, your problem is that you spam way too many combos without actually thinking what you are doing. I know you say "No no I only do few hit combos" but that is not true, I dueled you many times in the last week and you are relatively easy to PB and counter. If you want to be an agressive player you need to do less predictable combos, otherwise you just feed me BP. So, patience, training, more patience, more training and you will do fine.

DirkLaserMaster and Zhane like this.
  9. President Bossk

President Bossk

Whosa, are yousa?

Nick. likes this.
  10. President Bossk

President Bossk

Seriously who is reconfigured, I've never seen them here before.