MovieBattles II V1.6.1.2 Released

iwCSA26.png

V1.6.1.2 Update

General
  • Fix: PB indicator should now behave as intended based on being set to on or off.
  • Fix: Body hit indicators should now show up for spectators.
  • Fix: Dex 3 once again allows for canceling the forward Special 2 roll with melee blocking
  • Fix: Adjustments to some of the changes to muzzlepoint code that may be tied to the issues with aiming/crosshairs should no longer be applying.
  • Fix: Sith can no longer use Speed in Open
  • Fix: Some outlier cases with Speed, Sense, and Deadly Sight's FP drain ticks not working as intended
  • Fix: Soldiers should no longer play SBD animations after rallying
  • New: Smod commands are now logged including the command used, which player the command was used on, and the player's IP.
  • Fix: Cyan uses the correct blocking animations again.
  • Fix: Hitscan pistols now use the same damage calculations as non-hitscan pistols.
  • Fix: Several major join bugs should now be fixed.
  • Fix: Mute time is now properly stored and calculated across map changes.
  • Fix: Tutorials will now always change level regardless of g_AllowEntity_target_level_change setting.

Gameplay
  • Change: FP Drains:
    • Reference Values for IDR/distance (old):
      • Long range: 501+
      • Medium range: 206-500
      • Close range: 205 or lower
    • Reference Values for IDR/distance (new):
      • Long range: 376+
      • Medium range: 161-375
      • Close range: 160 or lower
    • With the above new long range values and drain adjustments below, FP drains will start higher and do more while saberists are farther away compared to current play.
    • Overall, the increase will be around 3-6FP per shot at all ranges on most weapons.
    • Individual changes:
      • Saberist blocking a shot while swingblocking with Defense less than level 3: Increased from 1.5x to 2.0x
      • Differences in drain multipliers based on combination of distance, blocking/not blocking, and weapon (which still have their own multipliers) simplified to: 0.65x while blocking, 0.95x while not blocking.
      • Any shot past medium range is capped at 40 FP regardless of blocking or not.
      • Any shot within medium range or closer is capped as follows:
        • If Blocking:
          • Defense 2 or higher: 50 FP
          • Defense 1: 80 FP
  • Change: Normalized Knockback reworked.
    • Knockback now depends on how close a saberist is vs the bounds Close range. Added knockback will be higher the further in the target is and vice versa.
    • Now applies vs swingblock as well.
    • Does not apply to saberists midair.
  • New: If a saberist has FP that's less than a shot required to block while hit during a swing (taking health damage), the swing will be canceled without a block anim (no half swings/counter swings afterward). This has no distance limitation.

Full Authentic
  • Fix: CFL_BUBBLESHIELD no longer remains active after a player is dead.
Legends

Continued small tweaks have been made to most characters in attempts to balance gameplay for competitive matches. This will be an ongoing process.
  • Fix / Change: Many effects and sounds for guns have been removed or merged in attempts to avoid server crashes due to maxconfig strings. Unfortunately large FAs like Legends or PowerBattles reach this limit quickly and due to engine limits, the server crashes. This hotfix may help remedy how often these Legends crashes occur.
  • Fix: Bug where Ventress was not showing up in class selection.
User Interface
  • Change: Added cl_maxping as a filter option within the server list.
Models
  • New: Added two new Episode 9 Hilts.
  • New: Added Maul Clone Wars Season 7 Hilt
  • New: Added Asajj Ventress Clone Wars Season 7 Hilt.

Changed Files ( Manual / Server Downloads )
Code:
MBII-
cgamei386.so
jampgamei386.so
jampgamei386.nopp.so
MBII.pk3
MBII_Mac.pk3
MBAssets3.pk3
MBHilts.pk3
uii386.so

Changelog Legend
New - New feature or addition to the game.
Change - Changes to the game.
Fix - Bug fix.
Remove - Removed feature.
Feature - New feature name

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only did you not balance the game, you just made Rebel Team a MUCH more powerful and fun team to play in than what it already is.

power level wise:
bh > hero
imp et > reb et cuz t21
sith > jedi cuz grip and lightning
sbd >>>> wookiee
deka = clone
arc > mando

and imps always defend. the only classes that aren't total shit on rebs are clone and ARC, and they both need a lot of support and teamwork around them to be able to excel because their defences against gunners are so weak. rebels are way, WAY weaker than imperials overall. i think you may have a skewed view because clone and ARCs are the only good classes on rebs and they also happen to be very good against sith (and they already were pretty decent even before the patch)

i do agree with the point about blobs, they (and other knockdowns like secondary nades) are too strong against jedi/sith basically instakilling them even if you have no teammates around. same for poison as gargos said, it should have its duration cut in half or slow down fp regen instead of stopping it completely.

poison's in a bit of a weird place since it was the only real hard counter to jedi on imps besides cortosis, especially ones that just sit back and deflect, which it probably still has a role as, but idk how'd you balance it to just remain a hard deflect counter

Last edited:
ARC. Here you have a class that can dodge a slash, a grenade, a push - you just name it, boy - for as many as up to five times before having to regain some blue dexterity (at which point said class is one mile away from whatever danger he was finding himself in, and the Jedi/sith probably at this point at 10 fp from the previous build) -
I would hate to see arc getting a nerf to its Dex, but what if we had a counter to arcs. Maybe have the poison darts from bh disable your dex while in poison state, taking arcs most important ability for a short time, and gives poison darts more uses then to just counter jedi.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I haven't played yet, but it seems to be moving in the right direction. It's a start, right?

Although you never know with MBII devs, my impression was that this patch is part of a WIP to fix jedi/gunner balance and interactions in open mode. Handling the FP drains was a necessary first step and they can still be tweaked further, as can individual weapons.

However, it doesn't make sense to go into minute autistic detail right now because force powers need to be revamped first. Jedi and Sith may have a glowstick, but they are first and foremost force users in open mode. This, in my mind, means that they should be able to use a variety of force powers relatively freely.

To name a few things.
Push radius/range. Nobody uses push 1, remove it and make current push 3 with nerfed radius/range into push 2 and then make push 3 slightly stronger than current push for a lot more points.
MT feels gay and underused. I preferred the old version.
Sith should have speed and maybe drain life with animation from kotor.
Jedi should have force absorb kinda like yoda did to dooku, so they could send back pushes/lightning etc or gain FP from absorbing a siths force push.
Deflect needs to be looked at again with the new fp drains.
Consider making sense 1 base-line since EVERYONE buys it anyway unless they have wallhack, sense 2 with white outlines but no team, into sense 1. Current sense 3 into sense 2 with about same cost, and then adding a more powerful sense 3 for even more points that allows you to dodge or gives your team additional vision maybe on the radar? A sort of battle meditation perhaps? You can see how many possibilities there are, and how unfinished and unpolished the current force system is. It also saddens me that we no longer have perks. I was stoked for perks and was hoping that one day we would have buyable lightsaber form perks, you know, ataru to boost your acrobatics and unlock your jumps so you could maybe start specials in mid-air like cartwheels or RDFAs, similar to how current backstab works but more broadly applied so you could chain cartwheels in the air and prevent dying from a fall in dotf gen or bridge on deathstar. Fun and takes skill. Then form III defensive perk and V offensive perk and so on, you know the drill. It would make the class so much better and more nuanced instead of everyone running the same cookie cutter boring shit and never really using force powers. Doesn't feel that much like a jedi fantasy.

and in general, force power cost/usage method should be investigated. Is a lower cost with a "force cooldown" a better option with higher drains? For some force powers or all? Say a Jedi uses push but that powerful push 3 locks him out of using force powers for 5 seconds, but it doesn't cost much fp. I think that is worth considering since then, the gunner would have that knowledge and can use it to his advantage.

--

Having said the above for Jedi/sith classes and assuming that they get force powers revamped. Gunners should also get some more stuff to play around with. You know there is an inventory that has the potential to carry on use items like sentry droids, temporary shields, med-packs, armor/ammo, cloaking devices etc. Why not make more use of this to give gunners more tools to use? More grenade variety like cryo nades? How about those trip mines from the base game? COME ON! Evolve the game!

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This is the perfect example of "if ten veterans" moan about FP drain, you just HANDLE the PROBLEM of whatever is being REPORTED by a GROUP of players, and then DON'T look at the FACTORS around it.

Not sure what makes you say this. We've been seeing a ton of feedback about how jedi have been two strong and too easy to play against gunners from all ends of the spectrum for years. We have been talking about making changes like reverting back to knockback and doing FP drains after for literally years.

That same feedback was amplified almost 10 fold with 1.6 knockback not entirely working as intended originally due to some back end changes that weren't accounted for.

We also do look at factors surrounding it, its a large part of the discussion. We have many things planned for the future such as changes/additions to jedi/sith force powers, SBD revamp, possible mando additions, new class additions, etc. However as a small team, we can only really do a handful of things at a time, and with that we also have very limited QA resources. Which often means, to properly balance things, that you have to push small incremental changes to the game to see how they affect thing. If you add too many changes at once to account for all the "factors", you end up missing the mark harder because then you don't know what changes actually did what. That means there is even more guessing involved if we made changes to all the classes in the game in addition to just knockback + fp drains. There are factors here that you probably were unaware of.

Here is the big kicker: If anyone honestly feels like they understand the balance of this update to the game within the first 24 hours. Think again. It will take a bit for people to readjust.

If we need to adjust things further after people have had a chance to adjust, then we can.

Last edited:
Consider making sense 1 base-line since EVERYONE buys it anyway unless they have wallhack, sense 2 with white outlines but no team, into sense 1. Current sense 3 into sense 2 with about same cost, and then adding a more powerful sense 3 for even more points that allows you to dodge or gives your team additional vision maybe on the radar?

don't make sense even more powerful wtf

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Not sure what makes you say this. We've been seeing a ton of feedback about how jedi have been two strong and too easy to play against gunners from all ends of the spectrum for years. We have been talking about making changes like reverting back to knockback and doing FP drains after for literally years.

That same feedback was amplified almost 10 fold with 1.6 knockback not entirely working as intended originally due to some back end changes that weren't accounted for.

We also do look at factor surrounding it, its a large part of the discussion. We have many things planned for the future such as changes/additions to jedi/sith force powers, SBD revamp, possible mando additions, new class additions, etc. However as a small team, we can only really do a handful of things at a time, and with that we also have very limited QA resources. Which often means, to properly balance things, that you have to push small incremental changes to the game to see how they affect thing. If you add too many changes at once to account for all the "factors", you end up missing the mark harder because then you don't know what changes actually did what. That means there is even more guessing involved if we made changes to all the classes in the game in addition to just knockback + fp drains. There are factors here that you probably were unaware of.

Here is the big kicker: If anyone honestly feels like they understand the balance of this update to the game within the first 24 hours. Think again. It will take a bit for people to readjust.

If we need to adjust things further after people have had a chance to adjust, then we can.

Honestly, the beta testing is mostly good for bugs. You really need to run more open betas on FP drains/Dueling patches like tempests/stassins work, so that everyone can play for a week on a normal pop server.

don't make sense even more powerful wtf

Who cares? Sense isn't what's carrying a good jedi/sith at all. It is mostly useful for noobs.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
You really need to run more open betas on FP drains/Dueling patches like tempests/stassins work, so that everyone can play for a week on a normal pop server.

While I agree with more open betas, I don't think it says as much about gameplay changes as you think it does. The amount of people we have had in previous open betas haven't had enough people consistently to get a full sense of changes, but can help to iron them out a bit more than we would other wise have. They generally would still have to be pushed live to get a full sense of things.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
While I agree with more open betas, I don't think it says as much about gameplay changes as you think it does. The amount of people we have had in previous open betas haven't had enough people consistently to get a full sense of changes, but can help to iron them out a bit more than we would other wise have. They generally would still have to be pushed live to get a full sense of things.

Yes, that has actually also been on my mind for awhile. I am not sure how viable it is from a dev perspective, but imo the most optimal way is to push a patch like this one, treat it like a flexible open beta while you take in feedback and adjust it for a few weeks and then finalize it as a patch, rather than releasing one inadequately tested patch and being stuck with it for 4 months while resentment piles up and some people leave because X is a big issue for them and patch XQX ruined the game for them etc. With dueling, the normal open beta system works well as the duel nerds will hop on and test, but even there I kind of want it pushed so that everyone playtests it. However, for things like FP drain revamps, it is clearly not possible to adequately test it in the current beta environment. I think ppl did their best, but you just cannot take into account all of the interactions that are in play in an open mode game.

--

Also, my previous post was just some brainstorming. I think we need to have a positive attitude to the game rather than a negative one. If a class is too weak, buff it rather than nerfing everyone else etc.

One thing I want to throw out there before I forget, is that a long time ago there was a bug for mandalorians where you could activate the flamethrower and jetpack at the same time and fly while spraying fire. How aboslutely mentally fun would that be?! So cool. But of course, it was a bug, imbalanced, was removed. But I would rather have such fun things in the game, and then rebalance the other stuff so it all works, for example, push could extinguish the flamethrower and you wouldn't be able to re-activate it in the air but would have to turn off the jetpack before you could use flamethrower again.

The game is more fun if every class has an overpowered thing rather than no class having an overpowered thing, if you catch my drift.

Fang

Donator
Sense is one of the best tools available to Jedi. It is a guranteed campers gameplay kill. Wallhacks.

It's literal
wall
hacks

I used to watch Lynt run 0 defence. Sense 3 (as is silent) and speed and wipe the floor with even the decent of players

EDIT:

This update pretty decent. It's there, knockback. Scrubs dont kill me as much (or yet really) but im just dying to sponge reduction if anything

2X EDIT:

BUFF KNOCKBACK FOR JUMPSWINGERS KTHX

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Having played the patch for a couple hours, this build is definitely very punishing to newbie Jedi. They get mowed down easily now, can't just walk/run up to you without some dodging effort and expect to have FP in melee range. Haven't had too much trouble playing as saberist myself though.

FrenzY

Chaos Connoisseur
Movie Battles II Team
One thing I want to throw out there before I forget, is that a long time ago there was a bug for mandalorians where you could activate the flamethrower and jetpack at the same time and fly while spraying fire. How aboslutely mentally fun would that be?! So cool. But of course, it was a bug, imbalanced, was removed. But I would rather have such fun things in the game, and then rebalance the other stuff so it all works, for example, push could extinguish the flamethrower and you wouldn't be able to re-activate it in the air but would have to turn off the jetpack before you could use flamethrower again.

The game is more fun if every class has an overpowered thing rather than no class having an overpowered thing, if you catch my drift.
Try out my Legends mode madness. ^_^

Reactions: SeV