Model Replacement Guide

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
Hi folks!

Many people have asked how to make replacements and such, Lou posted an outdated tutorial a couple of years ago and there's a much easier way to do replacements nowadays, I'll be updating this post soon with a written tutorial but for now this video tutorial by @Shenghai pretty much covers the whole thing:

Feel free to ask questions related to the topic, I'll pin this brand new thread, off topic messages will be deleted to keep everything on topic.

For now I'll also put the outdated written tutorial, but I highly recommend to use the method that I always use, which Shenghai clearly explains on his video tutorial:

Things you'll need:

Notepad (the basic texteditor that comes with windows)
Winrar, Winzip, WinAce or Pakscape (i recommend having WinRar and Pakscape - but this guide will not use Pakscape)
A Non-MB-Model of your Choice (Commander Neyo as an example) [I will refer to this as MyNewModel from now on]

Unpacking the Model:

When you download a model from www.pcgamemods.com, it usually comes as a .zip-file that contains the .pk3.

First off - Put the MyNewModel.zip on your desktop and unpack it into a folder. (The name of the folder is up to you, it has no importance)

Open the folder and locate the MyNewModel.pk3-file in there. Open it with Winrar (or Winzip, WinAce). In case Windows pops up a dialog asking you which Application you want to use to open this file, pick the option that allows you to select the program by yourself and choose Winrar (or Winzip, Winace).

Now that you opened the .pk3 - Unpack it into a folder. (you can name it zzzMyNewModel if you want to, but you can also rename it later)

you'll now see a few of the following folders (Note: in most cases not all of these will be there):

- botfiles (that's for bot-support)
- ext_data (that's for npc-support and hilt-references)
- models (that's the most important one)
- scripts (also for bot-support)
- shaders (well, that's for the shader...)
- sound (here are the taunts, etc...)

Editing the files:

First off - you'll delete the folders \"botfiles\", \"ext_data\" and \"scripts\" (if your model doesn't have them, be happy, less work for you).

Now double-click the \"models\"-folder, you'll find a \"players\"-folder inside. double-click that too. Now you're almost there, you will see a folder now that is called \"MyNewModel\" - Before you double-click it, you have to know what MB-Model you want to replace. We wont take the red clone, because that wont work (all clones use the same model.glm - so either you replace them all, or leave it) - Let's take a hero for now. Lando for instance.

Now that you know what to replace your file with, open the MBAssets.pk3, MBModel1.pk3 and MBModel3.pk3, go into \"/models/players/\" of each of these 3 pk.3's and look for the name of the folder that Lando is using. In this case it's \"lando\" (case-sensitive - only on Linux machines tho). Now rename your \"MyNewModel\" to \"lando\" and open that folder.

Ok, you made it into the heart of the model, now you see a bunch of .jpg's, .tga's, .skin's and a .glm-file.

Double-click the \"model_default.skin\"-file with Notepad. (Again, if windows gives you a dialogue, chose the option to select the program manually and pick Notepad). Now you'll see some text that'll look something like this:

head,models/players/MyNewModel/hair.tga

(i just add colors here to make this clear, it's important that you know what i mean at this point)

What you have to do now to make the replacement work is to change the word \"MyNewModel\" into \"lando\". This will tell the game that it has to look for the textures for your model in the \"lando\"-folder. Make sure to rename every single reference that points to \"MyNewFolder\" into \"lando\". (I personally use the search-funtion [shortcut: CTRL+F] to find all the references i need to replace and just paste [shortcut: CTRL+V] the new reference)

it should look like this now:

head,models/players/lando/hair.tga

If you also see lines like this:

hips_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

leave them as they are, all lines that point to the /stormtrooper/-folder are just for the caps. (the caps are what tells the game where to dismember a limb if it's cut off by a saber. you see them too when you f.i. cut somebody's arm off, they are the burnt wound you see at the end of the stump)

Once you're done, save the file. (Keep it's exact name - \"model_default.skin\")

Now delete everything from the folder that you don't use. That means if your model comes with teamsupport, it will have .jpg's, .tga's and .skin-files for a red and a blue skin. If you don't use these skins, you should delete the files that belong to them. (If you delete these unused skins here you should remove their reference in the shader too, it's your choice, i personally do it because having too many shaders can cause a variety of bugs)

Now rename the file \"icon_default\" to \"mb2_icon_default\". Now the icon of your MyNewModel will be seen instead of the icon of the model you wish to replace.

Once you're done, move up two folders until you see the directory called \"shaders\". (If your model doesn't have it, skip this)

You'll see a file in there that is most likely called \"MyNewModel.shader\". Open the file with Notepad (again, if Windows comes up with a dialogue, well, you should know by now...).

Again there is only text in there. What you need to do is similar to the job at the \"model_default.skin\"-file. Find and replace every reference that has the name \"MyNewModel\" in it and replace it with \"lando\" (or whatever the folder-name of the model you wish to replace is). Also, delete all entries that refer to the blue or red skins of your model (Note that the entires are separated by paragraphs, you have to delete the whole paragraph if it refers to the blue or red skin). Once you're done, save the file.

Finishing it off:

Ok, you're almost done. Now move up one folder, so that you can see the following:

models
shaders
sound

Select all three of them and create a .zip-file called \"zzzMyNewModel.zip\". Rename this file to \"zzzMyNewModel.pk3\".

Now put it into your \"MBII\"-folder, delete everything you have on your Desktop from making this replacement and play. ;)

Last edited:
Hi folks!

Many people have asked how to make replacements and such, Lou posted an outdated tutorial a couple of years ago and there's a much easier way to do replacements nowadays, I'll be updating this post soon with a written tutorial but for now this video tutorial by @Shenghai pretty much covers the whole thing:

Feel free to ask questions related to the topic, I'll pin this brand new thread, off topic messages will be deleted to keep everything on topic.

For now I'll also put the outdated written tutorial, but I highly recommend to use the method that I always use, which Shenghai clearly explains on his video tutorial:

Things you'll need:

Winrar, Winzip, WinAce or Pakscape (i recommend having WinRar and Pakscape - but this guide will not use Pakscape)
A Non-MB-Model of your Choice (Commander Neyo as an example) [I will refer to this as MyNewModel from now on]

Unpacking the Model:

When you download a model from www.pcgamemods.com, it usually comes as a .zip-file that contains the .pk3.

First off - Put the MyNewModel.zip on your desktop and unpack it into a folder. (The name of the folder is up to you, it has no importance)

Open the folder and locate the MyNewModel.pk3-file in there. Open it with Winrar (or Winzip, WinAce). In case Windows pops up a dialog asking you which Application you want to use to open this file, pick the option that allows you to select the program by yourself and choose Winrar (or Winzip, Winace).

Now that you opened the .pk3 - Unpack it into a folder. (you can name it zzzMyNewModel if you want to, but you can also rename it later)

you'll now see a few of the following folders (Note: in most cases not all of these will be there):

Editing the files:

First off - you'll delete the folders \"botfiles\", \"ext_data\" and \"scripts\" (if your model doesn't have them, be happy, less work for you).

Now double-click the \"models\"-folder, you'll find a \"players\"-folder inside. double-click that too. Now you're almost there, you will see a folder now that is called \"MyNewModel\" - Before you double-click it, you have to know what MB-Model you want to replace. We wont take the red clone, because that wont work (all clones use the same model.glm - so either you replace them all, or leave it) - Let's take a hero for now. Lando for instance.

Now that you know what to replace your file with, open the MBAssets.pk3, MBModel1.pk3 and MBModel3.pk3, go into \"/models/players/\" of each of these 3 pk.3's and look for the name of the folder that Lando is using. In this case it's \"lando\" (case-sensitive - only on Linux machines tho). Now rename your \"MyNewModel\" to \"lando\" and open that folder.

Ok, you made it into the heart of the model, now you see a bunch of .jpg's, .tga's, .skin's and a .glm-file.

Double-click the \"model_default.skin\"-file with Notepad. (Again, if windows gives you a dialogue, chose the option to select the program manually and pick Notepad). Now you'll see some text that'll look something like this:

(i just add colors here to make this clear, it's important that you know what i mean at this point)

What you have to do now to make the replacement work is to change the word \"MyNewModel\" into \"lando\". This will tell the game that it has to look for the textures for your model in the \"lando\"-folder. Make sure to rename every single reference that points to \"MyNewFolder\" into \"lando\". (I personally use the search-funtion [shortcut: CTRL+F] to find all the references i need to replace and just paste [shortcut: CTRL+V] the new reference)

leave them as they are, all lines that point to the /stormtrooper/-folder are just for the caps. (the caps are what tells the game where to dismember a limb if it's cut off by a saber. you see them too when you f.i. cut somebody's arm off, they are the burnt wound you see at the end of the stump)

Once you're done, save the file. (Keep it's exact name - \"model_default.skin\")

Now delete everything from the folder that you don't use. That means if your model comes with teamsupport, it will have .jpg's, .tga's and .skin-files for a red and a blue skin. If you don't use these skins, you should delete the files that belong to them. (If you delete these unused skins here you should remove their reference in the shader too, it's your choice, i personally do it because having too many shaders can cause a variety of bugs)

Now rename the file \"icon_default\" to \"mb2_icon_default\". Now the icon of your MyNewModel will be seen instead of the icon of the model you wish to replace.

Once you're done, move up two folders until you see the directory called \"shaders\". (If your model doesn't have it, skip this)

You'll see a file in there that is most likely called \"MyNewModel.shader\". Open the file with Notepad (again, if Windows comes up with a dialogue, well, you should know by now...).

Again there is only text in there. What you need to do is similar to the job at the \"model_default.skin\"-file. Find and replace every reference that has the name \"MyNewModel\" in it and replace it with \"lando\" (or whatever the folder-name of the model you wish to replace is). Also, delete all entries that refer to the blue or red skins of your model (Note that the entires are separated by paragraphs, you have to delete the whole paragraph if it refers to the blue or red skin). Once you're done, save the file.

Finishing it off:

Ok, you're almost done. Now move up one folder, so that you can see the following:

models
shaders
sound

Select all three of them and create a .zip-file called \"zzzMyNewModel.zip\". Rename this file to \"zzzMyNewModel.pk3\".

Now put it into your \"MBII\"-folder, delete everything you have on your Desktop from making this replacement and play. ;)
I'm not sure if you know how to do this or not, but I was wondering if you could make a tutorial on replacing model parts? Essentially, putting the head of one model onto the torso of another?

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah my advanced superglm technique, I introduced it on Penekepack and have improved it over the last couple of months, it's basically frankesteining but in a very peculiar way lol

128d6d7153eb4665a6a80325cbbbaf83.png
Here you can see Pilot luke merged with TFA Luke and the Nam pak Jedi

I will make a guide at some point, basically, it bypasses the multislot GLM system so that more characters can be added, but it can lead to some issues, such as dismemberment problems and it can affect performance if not done well.

Yeah my advanced superglm technique, I introduced it on Penekepack and have improved it over the last couple of months, it's basically frankesteining but in a very peculiar way lol

128d6d7153eb4665a6a80325cbbbaf83.png
Here you can see Pilot luke merged with TFA Luke and the Nam pak Jedi

I will make a guide at some point, basically, it bypasses the multislot GLM system so that more characters can be added, but it can lead to some issues, such as dismemberment problems and it can affect performance if not done well.
I see, thanks for letting me know. I hope that guide comes soon :)

ok so i haev smal isue

i am tryin 2 maek a sanic ok

the problem is i require either a new entry in arc skins or an arc trooper that is link to only 1 arc ok

if i replace the model of the republic commandos they all look dumb yea? ok

it wud be preferable if i cud just have the sanic be an entirely new skin becuz then ppl can install it on top of peneke and not haev it be big deal and then ppl can witness my fast forever

ok so i haev smal isue

the problem is i require either a new entry in arc skins or an arc trooper that is link to only 1 arc ok

it wud be preferable if i cud just have the sanic be an entirely new skin becuz then ppl can install it on top of peneke and not haev it be big deal and then ppl can witness my fast forever
The problem with trying to put it on ARC, is that by default, almost all of the clones/arcs use the same base model, and trying to change that will fuck them all up. Commander Keller's model is one you can replace that won't mess it up (I think), just use the video guide for that.

I'm not sure if you know how to do this or not, but I was wondering if you could make a tutorial on replacing model parts? Essentially, putting the head of one model onto the torso of another?
When I get back from vacation, I'll make a short and simple tutorial on this similar to my original one. But if you can figure out how peneke supermerged, then you won't need this (probably).

alright so i've got it hooked into keller properly (won't be bothering with model rn)

what's the proper way i should be naming these? only Jump1 plays ingame with everything else being replaced w/ kyle
waqi1.png

waqfc.png

oh btw i replaced 2 skins which were the ESB luke skins by dt with someone elses versions which i think are better if anyone wants them check out this link here ---> ESB Luke Reskins
and also the icons here
oI6JDx7fShfQE9anE9yR2I0HePaaJBtJ-r5hxhqG8RoLihpqMNzTchU1dXNaTH1BHFyYmg=s85
nPiauS_K6K-VUZNcndU4IwxR2FIWcVzYaXIRKHqiBZTD9aHt1Qp4GPwE_KVPc1m7iWI3hQ=s85
(but... the pilot icon on the right doesn't appear on the menu i'm afraid i've tried making it work but it hasn't worked and the skin will only appear in full authentic mode and on the echo base map) but that's what they will look like in-game

Last edited:
Hi folks!

Things you'll need:

Unpacking the Model:

Editing the files:

Finishing it off:

models
shaders
sound

That toturial didn't help very much, It didn't show me how to find sound nor replace the actual character in pnekepack

That toturial didn't help very much, It didn't show me how to find sound nor replace the actual character in pnekepack
What do you mean by that?
Sound is located in the sound folder, and the replacing is exactly what happens in the tutorial. Maybe a bit more specific and I can try to help you?

What do you mean by that?
Sound is located in the sound folder, and the replacing is exactly what happens in the tutorial. Maybe a bit more specific and I can try to help you?

Well In penekepack it dosen't really show which character is replaced with which, I am trying to make chirrut replace a jedi, but I can't seem to find the sound files all of them are empty. So i am confused with this do you have a discord or something I could contact you through directly

Well In penekepack it dosen't really show which character is replaced with which, I am trying to make chirrut replace a jedi, but I can't seem to find the sound files all of them are empty. So i am confused with this do you have a discord or something I could contact you through directly
Shenghai#5542 is my discord.

If you are trying to replace a jedi with chirrut, you can go into a folder for a jedi you want to replace in penekepack, and change the model's .skin file to route to chirrut. For example, if I were trying to replace Peneke's Senya model, I'd search through the models (or go in game with the model you want to replace selected and type "clientinfo" into the console. You'll get a prompt and it will show you the folder name of the model you are using currently. Do that for both the jedi and Chirrut, and copy the model_default.skin from chirrut's folder to that jedi's folder. IF the jedi has more than one .skin file, I'd suggest avoiding it, simply because that means that that model is used by two different skins, and unless you want to replace both of them with chirrut, it'll be a slight mess. Then afterwards, just replace the icon, and edit the modeldata file to reroute to chirrut's soundpack. It's called chirrut, and is located in sound/chars/chirrut.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask. I'm going to be working from 3-6est pretty much every day this week though, so if I'm a little slow in replying I apologize.

I tried to replace but the he just turns invisible can you help me out here's the download link
I didn't make this but I don't know which character to replace Chirrut_Jedi.pk3
If he turns out invisible, there's probably something wrong with the .skin file. That can be solved through the video listed about, minute mark 4:30.

As for which character to replace, go into your game, pick one that you don't want to see anymore, and type clientinfo into the console when you spawn. It will give you the model name, saber name, etc. You'll want to remember that model name, and then quit the game. After that, follow the video. Again, if you need anything else, feel free to keep asking, or my discord is Shenghai#5542

ok so i haev smal isue

there is already sonic on fa ask the devs for it lol. If they say no ddos them.