Minor things that irritate me a lot (and how to fix them)

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
  • Soldiers, ET, Hero, etc have basic blaster marked as E-11 in class configuration but they don't always get an E-11. Example, Ep1 droids get droid blaster. Pistol always gives you a pistol (of some kind), Projectile Rifle always gives you the Projectile Rifle, A280 always gives you the A280, why are other weapons different?
    • How to fix: Rename "E-11" in class configuration to "Light Blaster" or something similar.
  • The hotkeys for weapon switching are silly. For instance, consider Wookiees: 1 = Melee, 2 = Pistol, 3 = Unused, 4 = Bowcaster, - = Grenades. It would be a lot more sensible for 3 to be Bowcaster and 4 to be throwable weapons in that case.
    • How to fix: Recode the "weapon" command to function differently based on the class. (If in FA mode, just function normally I guess). Show the hotkey for the weapons when you are switching between them.
  • "Credits" is the top option in Play menu. Very annoying since my brain instinctively picks the first option.
    • How to fix: should be obvious
  • SBD first person weapon doesn't animate correctly
    • How to fix: Change CG_MapTorsoToWeaponFrame so it looks at the correct animations for SBD
  • When spectating a Deka and switching to another player, the first person camera is very low, almost to the floor.
    • How to fix: Set ps.viewHeight (I believe) every time follownext/followprev is done
  • Class special hotkey is not listed for all abilities (example, Mandalorian flamethrower = which class special key? rocket = which special key?). It's not shown in the class configuration menu.
    • How to fix: go through all of the hint texts and add which class special key it is. OR add an indicator to the HUD that shows which button does what and/or how many uses they have left (maybe I am blind and this already exists. idk)
  • Please provide the option to always spectate someone in third person. Annoying to have to press the third person/first person keys all the time.
    • How to fix: add cgame cvar to do this
  • K/D doesn't show assists (but this information is transmitted to the client!)
    • How to fix: Shorten "Score/Rounds" to just be "Score" and Kills/Deaths to be just "K/D/A" and add assists there.
  • Adding ^8 / ^9 to my name spams "^8eezstreet renamed to ^1eezstreet" all the time.
    • How to fix: Consider ^8 and ^9 as valid tokens; don't strip them out or convert them to something else. In OpenJK they are considered orange and grey colors (respectively)
  • Set auto-record demos to be off by default. Most people do this already anyway.
    • How to fix: Change the default value of the cvar to be 0 instead of 1
  • Either remove the cooldown on jetpacks or make it obvious to the player that they are under cooldown, like with a bar or something. I barely play mandalorian because of how irritating the jetpack controls can be.
    • How to fix: Choose your own adventure
i'll add more when I find them

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
  • Soldiers, ET, Hero, etc have basic blaster marked as E-11 in class configuration but they don't always get an E-11. Example, Ep1 droids get droid blaster. Pistol always gives you a pistol (of some kind), Projectile Rifle always gives you the Projectile Rifle, A280 always gives you the A280, why are other weapons different

Theyre just weapon model overwrites to match the skin they are a part of for authenticity. Functionally they are an E-11.

• SBD first person weapon doesn't animate correctly
    • How to fix: Change CG_MapTorsoToWeaponFrame so it looks at the correct animations for SBD

Already mentioned this one to you, SBD is seeing some changes as mentioned in Viserys post here: MBII Development: Looking to the future which likely will invalidate that fix as it changes a massive amount of how SBD looks/feels.

• K/D doesn't show assists (but this information is transmitted to the client!)
    • How to fix: Shorten "Score/Rounds" to just be "Score" and Kills/Deaths to be just "K/D/A" and add assists there.

Score/Rounds is necessary in the current state of MB2. It shows how long theyve participated in. So someone who just joined getting 300 points is more likely to be a good player than someone who got 1000 points over 50 rounds and helps to illustrate how the score is being ordered.

There was a reason assists weren't on there but I have honestly forgotten it.

• Adding ^8 / ^9 to my name spams "^8eezstreet renamed to ^1eezstreet" all the time.
    • How to fix: Consider ^8 and ^9 as valid tokens; don't strip them out or convert them to something else. In OpenJK they are considered orange and grey colors (respectively)

We had this before removing the hooks to support OpenJK.

• Either remove the cooldown on jetpacks or make it obvious to the player that they are under cooldown, like with a bar or something. I barely play mandalorian because of how irritating the jetpack controls can be.

You just need to pay attention more on that one.

eezstreet

Theyre just weapon model overwrites to match the skin they are a part of for authenticity. Functionally they are an E-11.
It's a bit of nitpicking on my part but it's a small inconsistency that bothers me.

Already mentioned this one to you, SBD is seeing some changes as mentioned in Viserys post here: MBII Development: Looking to the future which likely will invalidate that fix as it changes a massive amount of how SBD looks/feels.
We will see.

Score/Rounds is necessary in the current state of MB2. It shows how long theyve participated in. So someone who just joined getting 300 points is more likely to be a good player than someone who got 1000 points over 50 rounds and helps to illustrate how the score is being ordered.
I think I worded this wrong; I meant that the text on the top should be changed from "Score/Rounds" to being simply "Score" so there is enough spacing visually.

We had this before removing the hooks to support OpenJK.
I'm not sure whether the issue is on the client or the server that's forcing a name change, but I want to say it's on the server since the UI still remembers me as having the correct text.

You just need to pay attention more on that one.
Why is the dash cooldown shown but not the jetpack cooldown?

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I think I worded this wrong; I meant that the text on the top should be changed from "Score/Rounds" to being simply "Score" so there is enough spacing visually.

Then people won't know what the /4 under someones score is for. Need clear top indicators. There is plenty of room to add Assists without doing that.

Why is the dash cooldown shown but not the jetpack cooldown?

Jetpack cooldown did show last time I tried it.

The hotkeys for weapon switching are silly. For instance, consider Wookiees: 1 = Melee, 2 = Pistol, 3 = Unused, 4 = Bowcaster, - = Grenades. It would be a lot more sensible for 3 to be Bowcaster and 4 to be throwable weapons in that case.
  • How to fix: Recode the "weapon" command to function differently based on the class. (If in FA mode, just function normally I guess). Show the hotkey for the weapons when you are switching between them.
protip: multiple binding
Code:
bind "3" "weapon 3; weapon 5; weapon 6; weapon 4"

These are all your problems, dude. I don't have any issue with them

And actually when you hold tab, it tells you your assists at the bottom, so it really doesnt fucking matter. No one gives a shit about your assist count. If you got an assist, it means you didnt get the kill. Deal with it.

eezstreet

These are all your problems, dude. I don't have any issue with them

And actually when you hold tab, it tells you your assists at the bottom, so it really doesnt fucking matter. No one gives a shit about your assist count. If you got an assist, it means you didnt get the kill. Deal with it.
whew mate clam down there a bit
The assist count of every player gets networked to every other player so technically it's already sent to the client, just not displayed.
These are all friendly suggestions, don't get too heated about it. :)