Medics in Open mode?

I've been meaning to make this suggestion ages ago but I never got around to it or worded it correctly. Here goes!
Medics have been apart of Fully Authentic for ages and while I was playing a classic game of FA Jedi Temple I wondered: hey, what if Medics were a thing in Open mode? I got me to thinking about how it could be put in so it is both useful and not be over powered.

One of the ideas of course was to have a singular class on both sides for Medic. However, I dismissed the idea after awhile due to it not only being time consuming to make a class solely based for medics, but also to balance it with the already inputted classes.

My second idea was to add it to the commanders / ET's. Now, I'm not suggesting that the ET's be able to use it easily. A heavy price of specialization points would have to go into being able to heal people. Perhaps limit it such that you can't have reinforcement? or lessen it's points so that You can only have one weapon or grenade? Then I got to thinking; What about a self heal bacta add-on that would cost points if you went into the Medical specialization? There are numerous ways of having an medical specialization put into Open mode. However, it does come down to popularity and whether or not it will benefit MB2 overall. I leave that to you guys!

Just a couple of thoughts that have been mulling around in my head.

I remember when there was one server that did FA Sundays.
I suppose your only hope is to host an FA server yourself and try to advertise it.

This is off topic, but as the topic seems to be the pace of gameplay, it's sort of appropriate.
It's primarily map design that determines round length!
Trim the fat off the non-dotf/non-jabba/non-lunarbase maps!

Dotf is popular because it's a fairly lean map that will see combat quickly.
Combat itself doesn't have to resolve quickly; indeed it's better if it doesn't, as that's the core of mb2's gameplay.
(See SW:BF as an example of overly quick combat interspersed with tedious running)

Whats the point of pit anymore in dotf? It's almost always the last rebel..who went there at the start of the round.
Add a route or a trap or both.

Back on topic.

I consider all reinforcements healing. Basically you get a new body!
And don't tell me reinforcements do not slow down gameplay:)

To those so challenged who say, git gud. :rolleyes:. This isnt about how gud u are. Or aren't. Lol, brainless. It's about time and how much is wasted. And you know, thank you for bringing out the biggest time waster of all. Player mentality.
Here's reality. Most of you are pussies. When you get injured you do the smart play and hang back. A play...almost everyone does.

Somewhere, some time ago, someone cut off all the newer players balls. There's nothing so frustrating as having half a team hang back afraid to take any dmg. Especially jedi. You're a fucking wall and you're camping behind gunners and cover? I feel like a Saint sometimes restraining myself from shooting them in the back. Or in most cases. From the front. lulz

Let's make the game exciting again. You know what isn't exciting, camping.

So - reinstate the death penalty upon round loss. I'd like to hear people's objections to that one.
Next - make players bleed hp after they've been shot. You telling me there's no medics in this game?

Every single class is a medic! How else do you explain the instant stoppage of any further damage after being shot or surviving a saber swing?
It's magic! They stopped the bleeding, put a salve on the burns, took out the frag shrapnel from your ass, and in microseconds:)

Now that's a vision for the future. Injuries that actually function like injuries. Medic!!!

I would but nobody will play it, and pretty sure sitting alone in a server at 10pm wont encourage others to join.

It feels like only 2 people actually read what I said.

Change your play times if you can. Otherwise, it's hard. You'll have to build a group that plays the same time around you and find a server. With the player pool as is and people in general playing other games rather than waiting alone in an empty server....the glory days of fa goodness are faded.

Last edited:
I come from a source mod community, called empires.
We organize pugs to counter-act low pop matches, funny enough our game is more dead than yours. We only have 4 servers and can barely populate 1 where you guys got 23 servers.

And average about 30 to 40 people a day on various servers.
I am currently playing FA mode on the MB2 official server and I am with Obsidian black and Devon right now. On the map Republic cruiser.
It pisses me off how much love and effort went into this map and nobody plays it.

I played 3 to 5 maps alone just exploring, I don't even see this medic class people were talking about.

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
[Off-topic]
Fear not, FA isn't dead. There was a server not long ago, that had totally uninterested and uninvolved owner. During last weeks of its existence, I've - semi-oficially - transferred it into FA-24/7. And you know what? We had almost non-stop games running, (save for REALLY late hour - or early, depending on how you look at it - something around 5-6 AM local time... And even then, sometimes matches were raging) with people playing exactly on the great maps that you're describing. Making it happen required just a little patience (and some hard administrating, to discourage griefers), but it worked - for my it was 10/10 proof, that FA can be popular, if server is administrated right way.

*IF* the MBII on armel thing comes to fruition, I'm 100% dedicated to host (amongst others) one FA server, containing all official and SW-themed CMP maps, and making it popular. Actually, can't wait for it - after all, FA is the essence of MBII, the "real' way it was meant to be played. [/off-topic]

/Cat Lady

Get back to me on that when it happens, I still say healing being available in open mode isn't so bad.
I would say on compromise that dead players drop med packs would encourage people to be more aggressive and have them fight for heals.

That should get what both people want, constant fights with no slow downs and some people can heal.
Hell, that could make some interesting meta have teammates loot friendly bodies to deny enemy heals.

Medics or healing is dumb because it means there's a way for players to make up for mistakes that would otherwise have a penalty.

Slowing down gameplay is still not the only reason medics aren't in open mode, though.

Limited minds? Small heads? No imagination? Performance issues? :)

Here's one surefire way that healing would speed up gameplay. :rolleyes:

It goes back to using needles, call them stims:)
You have your quack class being the sole distributor of said product. And you know what? The first sample is free!

Medic sticks ya with a needle/stabs you with a stim and suddenly you're feeling better, exhilarated!
You want to rush out there and do some dmg. Rip off your shirt and flex your chest as God intended.
And then comes the inevitable wake up call. The chills, the chattering, the cold and yet warm-hearted touch of dark.

Medic class, greatest support system/enabler there is.

Give's you a shot that temporarily boosts your hp and and speed. Downside is that its not permanent. Don't use it, lose it plus suffer the hangover. So if at the end you don't have enough hp to survive the Medicine, overdosed and not even a hero.

ex.
Elite trooper - 80hp base.
Medic gives him a stim boost, in this case, before he's taken any dmg for the sake of simplicity:)
80hp turns into 120. Run speed is increased. Maybe accuracy as well?
You're high only lasts x amount of seconds.
At the end, you lose that temp 40 hp. It's subtracted from whatever hp you have when the effect wears off.
So...if you're left with 40 hp before the effect wears off...you're going to die.

This is not healing. Healing is when player A is healed up somehow, even with help from player B (healer), without any long-term disadvantage (like losing HP). Your idea is only about giving a temporary boost. It sounds similiar to Force Rage from the base game, with a limited temporary healing factor, what - I think - is only there to be able to call your idea "healing". I dont think it'd be a good idea to make Rage available to every single class... it wouldnt be so authentic either. And there's the thing, that the accuraccy boost could be either unnecessary (Pistol users) or OP (just imagine a clone rifle lvl3 with better running accuracy). Thank God your first sample was free. :D

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Meh, I played around with the idea of a stimulant for soldier at one point, but it really makes no sense without a downside, which defeats the entire purpose of LMS, reinforcements or not.

I don't think it matters what anyone comes up with, medic doesn't belong in open mode. If the goal is to have a more support oriented class, which exists in the form of Jedi and Sith even though they currently aren't played like that, I'd rather give them some sort of team wide buff that allows for more proactive play.

Free samples for everybody!!
The goal is to make the game more exciting and faster, especially at chokepoints:)
And this form of healing will do just that.

There is a downside. The hangover(reduced speed/accuracy) and hp loss:)

And its called healing because it heals your body, makes you super-duper healed, superhumanish!
Not my problem if you can't handle the side effects.
Which most modern medicine has. But hey, keep on living in that health fairy tale of yours.:)

Lulz, the naivety. Tell me, which would you prefer. Meds that make you feel like shit but will keep you alive longer or meds that make you feel good but won't extend you're lifespan?

Guess what. In real life you don't get to choose. Stims are more realistic than your MMO Healing fantasies.

For reality! Stims must be put in!!

Doesn't make sense without a downside??

What doesn't make sense exactly anyway? You purchased it with stat points. It cost you points. If you invest points in it, shouldnt you benefit from it like every other ability/weapon?

Thats like saying grenades don't make sense because there's no downside? Because its free?

Bah.

I am guessing nobody liked the idea of having to kill people for heals.
This would make fighting light stick spam tolerable.

I am guessing nobody liked the idea of having to kill people for heals.
This would make fighting light stick spam tolerable.
How would dropping health packs make fighting Jedi/Sith any more tolerable? The idea of adding any form of healing to open mode is the LAST thing MBII needs in order to improve and I disagree completely with anyone that says otherwise.

Last edited:
Your right, having health against a class that can spam push and one hit kill regardless of style is entirely pointless.

However I still did fix the slowdown people are complaining about, and the only thing I seem to see people fight me on is healing sucks, even though there is a class on the rebels that can regen their health. Because having a class that has a sniper rifle and regens their health somehow doesn't qualify as slowing down game-play. Not to mention has a special dodge mechanic, access to grenades, rifles, and has a passive dodge that counter snipers. Yeah this class somehow doesn't slow down game-play.

At-least my method involves people moving around and playing the game instead of camping with a projectile rifle waiting for their hp to comeback. If I want that heal, I have to get off my ass instead of playing reservedly.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Your right, having health against a class that can spam push and one hit kill regardless of style is entirely pointless.

You're combating the current balance issues Jedi/Sith have the wrong way. There are better methods. (Don't currently have time to go through them all)

You're combating the current balance issues Jedi/Sith have the wrong way. There are better methods. (Don't currently have time to go through them all)

I have no idea how to even balance that class and remain truthful to the lore, I just made a jab at how much sith/jedi piss me off. That class is beyond rocket science to me, so I won't even attempt to suggest the balancing on it.

I guess I should just stop playing ET or soldier, and just git gud with the mando and clone even though I think that's just shelfing the issue. That's what everyone I see seems to be doing anyways to counter light-stick spam.

I just want to play as captain Panaka and the Commando droid and have fun instead of resorting to be a tryhard.

Last edited:
Leave "I need a medic" voice chat to people about to disappear in thermal detonator's explosion or cut down by a lightsaber. Medics would make one-life classes much stronger than they are already, making Soldier and possibly Commanders but a filler classes that would just exist for the sake of existing. Imagine being downed to 20 hp as Wookie then brought back to 300/400 HP. Woo, sounds damn fun doesn't it.

Easy workaround.

One lifers can't benefit from medic/stims/whatever.
it's like that feature when you're player slut number 0. You can't be healed:)

Also I think I do like medic ideas but im almost against for a reason:
"CAN WE GET MEDICS ON OUR TEAM? GOD THIS TEAM IS SO USELESS I SWEAR NOBODY GOES MEDIC AND NOW I DIE BECAUSE NO ONE HEALS ME.... *RQ*"

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Also I think I do like medic ideas but im almost against for a reason:
"CAN WE GET MEDICS ON OUR TEAM? GOD THIS TEAM IS SO USELESS I SWEAR NOBODY GOES MEDIC AND NOW I DIE BECAUSE NO ONE HEALS ME.... *RQ*"
Honestly, though, I feel like there's existing roles right now that are just as important as medic would be. It's just that they're more subtle and complicated and the "public meta" is less "developed" than that of bigger games, so at worst you might see someone complaining about saberists not protecting their gunners well.

RG4

There really is not a meta in MB2 because it's entirely based around the general competency of the players more than anything. Someone can play soldier and with those 3 lives could kill an entire team where as the sith/jedi could die within an instant of getting flinched. So the idea that there's a meta really isn't to be argued.

I find medics can be useful to the balance because they'll entertain the idea of teamplay. Basically a low HP and one life class with the ability to heal, what ever you want to balance.

The dumbest reason I find the devs are against it is "IT'LL MAKE THE ROUNDS LAST TOO LONG, IT MAKES PEOPLE RETREAT!"
So we'll take on some interesting examples, people will purposely time waste on maps like DOTF because it has a hacking objective and imps or rebels will try and force the time win/lose. I've seen more experienced players toy with the less skilled players and take forever to end the round or defending team hide til time finishes. So I don't see the worst of allowing for a healer to be in the round seeing as they tend to last between 2-5 minutes long depending on the team. Hell medics in FA have special rules to make them NOT heal certain players because of their class. IE a droid tech on one the CMP maps cannot heal other players other than classes that are called a droid, SBD, or deka. Vice versa a normal medic wouldn't be able to heal a player that's not listed as droid. So you can apply the rules to certain classes like Wookiees,SBD,and Dekas cannot be healed but other classes can receive healing.

They don't prolong the round at all other than they allow for an extra layer of play because now you need kill a medic so it'll hinder their team more than it could help.