Mb2_Sarlacc - new jabba sail barge map

Hello Movie Battles 2 Community! My name is Langerd - i am mapper that is mostly active on jkhub.

I just downloaded Movie Battles 2 and gave it a try. I must say... i am more than immpressed. It is a masterpiece of the mod and it finally gave me intrest to play multiplayer with jk3 players. I was never fan of multiplayer experience but now i not only want to be part of the community as the player - but as modder too. If you want of course. So in my first post i will give you my first post with my suggestion and my work in progress on the map - It is Jabba Sail Barge.

PHJivir.jpg

The rest of the images are here :
imgur album dSOz3

My idea for the objective is make this big cannon that Leia destroyed tha barge. The Rebels must destroy the barge by hacking the cannon to (Like Luke Said in the movie) POINT AT THE DECK! . They can do it manualy (like Leia in the movie and this will take longer) or faster method (in the cockpit of the barge) that will rotate the canon much much faster BUT the canon still must be activated manualy (the time to activate will be very fast).

What do you think and do you like the idea of the map like this?

Skiff model is AshuraDX's model but i changed textures and changed model to MD3.

Map is ready for the testing!
[DOWNLOAD IT HERE]

.pk3 file from above goes to "Jedi Academy\Movie Battles 2\GameData\MBII" In order to run the map start your local server and in the console input "/map mb2_sarlacc". Please, provide me with some feedback!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
im currently testing your map and i gotta say its pretty well done, i really love the function of being able to move the boats.
+100 :)

update: well apparently just one boat has the ability to be moved lol, and one thing i would suggest to change is the reb obj, instead of holding the button multiple times but shorter time why not make it be just be a longer hold instead?

im currently testing your map and i gotta say its pretty well done, i really love the function of being able to move the boats.
+100 :)

This is the best idea because this will allow player to finish the objective while walking and jumping. They need to wait. And enemy team will have chance to defend it becUse they screwed up

update: well apparently just one boat has the ability to be moved lol, and one thing i would suggest to change is the reb obj, instead of holding the button multiple times but shorter time why not make it be just be a longer hold instead?

At first i wanted to make it even cooler like player would be hacking it and cannon would rotate at the same time. Like we are actually rotate it.

About these short rotation i think it is balanced because long hacking in one place would be very difficult for the rebel team. But i have one suggestion to this. It would make objective even harder and would encourage rebel team to actually rotate cannon using consoles in the cockpit - smaller and more dangerous area but faster objective.

I will make it like this. Hacking will be long but it wont take ages. I think about... 7 seconds? But Rebels must pay attention on the clock because cannon will rotate for about 15 seconds to its fire position. And in the end you also need to hack it for 3 seconds to fire it. It would take 10 seconds in total to win but it will take 25 seconds to finish the objective. It will even more encourage player to hack it in cockpit - hack there 4 seconds but it will also make cannon rotate faster and fore position will be there so 7 seconds total. It will also encourage team play even more :) or risky tactics like skiff floating to the barge.

I actually want these flying skiffs to be more than just one. I will make sure of that. I will try to make their movement much slower and smoother. There is a bug that actually is kind of problem - when someone dies on the skiff the vehicle get stuck in the air. It just not moving... it comepletely removes script work. Dont know why but i will try to change it.

Today i will write down list of things i want to fix change or add.If you want to duggest something go ahead! I would also like you guys to read suggestions of others. I want the changes to work for the most of people - not for 2 or 3. Forums are for discussion not for rude words and saying that someone has bad opinions.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Skiff starts moving from Ganster's side and can flank Rebels instantly.

It should only activate when some secondary objective falls (Sarlacc gets first food? lol). As it is now, I can see SBD/Droideka raft invading the other spawn under cover and firing to ducks. Skiff is endlessly circling around the map it should stop on it's way and require activating again (both teams should be able to activate it so it has more strategic value). It should work like the turret on the deck and require hacking from time to time to change position (current path for the skiff seems okay it should just stop during that journey and require hacking mutiple times).

I was also wondering about that huge ship in the background of map, isn't desert enough?
It's breaking the impression of map being spacious along with containers that serve as cover for Rebels.

1fa2dd883f3b2.jpg

zapodaj.net/images/d7cf4727540cc.jpg - got stuck here,

also a suggestion regarding the deck it's empty how about some small crates like out of Smuggler, literally any cover on top. Left side of this picture. Next to the mast. Few small cargo crates.

Last edited:
what would be cool is if you could add the characters that plays out in the scene as obj, say like saving lando(could have a timer) for rebs and idk killing leia for the imps just to set an example but idk if something like that would work for this map.
i like more flying skiffs :p

Map is ready for the testing!
[DOWNLOAD IT HERE]

.pk3 file from above goes to "Jedi Academy\Movie Battles 2\GameData\MBII" In order to run the map start your local server and in the console input "/map mb2_sarlacc". Please, provide me with some feedback!

AND i WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF SOMEONE WOULD SHARE IT ON THE SERVER THAT WE SEE ON THE LIST :)

Last edited:

k4far

Banned
Donator
So there is a suggestion from @SK55555555555555555 to give Sarlacc a belly with acid where you would die over time.

Sarlacc is following prett weird from up close. It should stop the lock-on on the player if you are about to get eaten it's doing spins in place. If jaw could move randomly not every same amount of seconds all the time it would improve immersion greatly. Movement time could be random value between 1-7 instead of static 2 or whatever it is now. As for tentacles they should move as fast as now, above is just regarding the mouth I am afraid they might be linked. Sarlacc is also missing moving out and back in to it's pit it's just extended if it could get out when first player comes in contact with it and remain extended or hide again whichever you find better.

@Starushka mentioned while playing that just one entrance to the top of the deck is bad.

I would like to see the objective changed so when you point the cannon at a deck it would start a timer it would go for about 30 seconds and then explode (Gangsters would be able to disarm it).

You can gain super speeds if you jump in to the pit (don't fall down the mouth) then just keep pressing jump and fly across the map like this very much like gaining speed on Dotf by using N-1 Starfighters - must be attended to with a map of this size.

Last edited:
Its up and running on J| Duel Server now.

I was whole day in school. Important things and specially Person is my first priority. Hope i will see some people play it. .. hope i will not miss it

EDIT: Well the server IS THER WITH MY MAP! I am sooo happy QuO but it is empty X)

Thanks for everyone btw.

Last edited:
Ok! Some updates without any screens for now because i am in school.
I made an update on sarlacc pit - i created a new MD3 model better than the previous one in my opinion and i will create a stomach system - a little area with some stomach juice and death pit. On the center. I also consider to add some smaller inside sarlacc that will suck the victim and deal a great amount of damage. I am also thinking about getting outside the sarlacc - some sand tunnel that exit would be only open inside.
I will try to send screens today.

But the biggest annoucment is that i am on map optiminization . I am learning on how to cut the map on parts. Because of the windows in the barge this whole process is very tricky .. i still cant achieve the 100% result i want. Anti portals were not working well so i try using hint brushes and i put the big block inside the barge (we dont see it but thanks to it i can cover the other half of the map to make it less laggy). It is not working always perfect.. one step on the left and half of the map is not rendered . Make small step on the right and i can see a lot of things i shouldnt see. I will work on it even longer. But i also end with the passage portal flow looong compile issue.

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
Langerd your work is very impressive! I'm blown away and happy you went to the efforts to make a working Sarlacc, always fun to have various alien creatures in the maps that mess with players XD I'm going to check out your map when possible.

In terms of frame rate issues, maybe a way to make the main barge more "contained" with VIS structural brushes or set a low distancecull value and go sandstorm fog route (ala old Hoth map and this was canon with a deleted ROTJ scene :p)

Well about update -

- some screens with the optimalization achievments
- New sarlacc model and i changed tentacles look and placement. This is still WIP
- New Rebel Spawn - Tusken Camp. I am thinking about some props here an there.
-Places with boxes. I want to make at small amount of boxes as possible. They are mostly for soldiers to get into the hard reach areas.
-The Sarlacc Stomach! This is also huge WIP. I am thinking about making a tunnel to escape the sarlacc but still it will deal a great amount of damage. There are 4 sections of the stomach
- main big stomach - no damage here. The movement and terrain is not great for walking but that it sthe point!
- 2 side stomachs that will suck the player inside and trap him. These stomachs deals damage.
-bottom stomach which is the instant death pit - player fall into stomach juice that works like acid.

There is still some issues with the optimalization but i am closer to make it 100% working fine. Also there is one thing that pisses me off... players who fall into the sarlacc will get fall damage if they are knocked back.. even if they fall on the special shader that is called cushion - this should prevent from taking the fall damage.

EDIT: also i reduced the polygon count for Skiffs... i was shocked and felt stupid..... the skiff model -ONE skiff model had more poligons than the Barge's model.....

Langerd your work is very impressive! I'm blown away and happy you went to the efforts to make a working Sarlacc, always fun to have various alien creatures in the maps that mess with players XD I'm going to check out your map when possible.

In terms of frame rate issues, maybe a way to make the main barge more "contained" with VIS structural brushes or set a low distancecull value and go sandstorm fog route (ala old Hoth map and this was canon with a deleted ROTJ scene :p)

Thank you! It is... very glad to hear these words for mapping artist like you! Well i dont want to make aa fog on the map. It would kind of ruin the whole Jabba Barge immpresion. I managed to cut my map with hint brushes. Sadly the anti portals doesnt work the way they should. Maybe on the MD3 they are bugged but i tried it on different situations - and still doesnt work properly.