MB2 - The Fall of Dueling (Video)

MB did not require direction you are correct. However it took like a quarter of your BP everytime you tried it, so if the opponent was swingblocking you'd lose 25% of your total BP for 0 gain. If I remember correctly if you MBed someone while on 0 BP it caused you both to be disarmed (You would get 0 BP disarmed and they would get MBlocked) which was quite entertaining to say the least. Could also MBlock/PBlock DFAs back then.
Dude, you're right. I totally forgot MBlocking would drain your BP every time you did it.

See? I miss that old stuff. It made sense. :(

Karus

Donator
I personally prefer a no-frills system that doesn't require mastering buggy mechanics to get the better of your opponent. I personally miss the pre V0 days of sabering. PBing was trickier to land so you couldn't just sit on duel servers and memorize the stupid 'zones' like you currently can. MBlocking required more timing, slap range wasn't as long, you could land combos and they would actually do something, combos weren't limited and messed up, you didn't have to memorize combos. You could just get in there and, with some decent foot work and combo work, you'd be a formidable match. There's so many variables to sabering now and the only people good at it are people that literally get walked through all the sabering metas by people that know better than them (or even designed the system). If no one tells you the saber metas, you will never figure it out, no matter how much you play because the system doesn't work in a logical way. It doesn't work at all how you would think it should work if you didn't know anything about it.

I think the system should be way more streamlined and easier to pick up, like the gun play.

None of you sabering NERDS will ever be happy one way or the other, might as well say screw it and simplify it.
Meh, this is clearly somewhat of a biased opinion. I never got run through any of the "meta tactics" I learned pretty much everything myself...
Also the only "meta" tactics right now would be yawing like you're on crack (360's etc.) or running away then back in again to cause an interrupt.
If you think you need some kind of secret dueling society knowledge in order to become good at this game, idk what to say to you. Especially if you've been playing for at least a few years.
This mindset doesn't benefit anybody and all it does is breed crybabies. New players aren't going to want to bother learning how to duel if people are telling them there's this secret society that withkeeps all meta tactics etc. which is simply not true at all.
It's just that nobody really gives a fuck about dueling so why would any of the top players want to teach anyone?
Regardless, mechanical skill is the biggest factor in dueling. So even IF you knew some kind of hidden, meta tactic, you'd STILL need to be able to pull it off anyway, which may not be possible for you.
If anybody wants to learn dueling I'm always more than happy to answer questions etc. so if you see me in-game say hello

HAHA.png

I mean, from what I remember its really not much of an improvement. Same side combos were nerfed to fuck for no reason, collisions were still messy, he readded the A half swing nobody wants and made it about ACM farming with fast A half swing again which is an absolute snoozefest. Really was not a stand out build at all.

Although Stassin has proved to be volatile, at least his builds ideas were unique, although I doubt anyone has the tether to learn yet another system. I think our best bet is to revert still, as closely to 1.3 or 1.4.5 and tweak from there. 1.4.5 collisions etc were perfect, no weird interrupts, parries felt consistent. Keep ACM how it was instead of the convoluted ACC shit and reintroduce MBC. Then tweak individual styles based on feedback, its not that hard honestly and its a bit of a shame to see that both Tempest and Stassin have lost interest
1.4.5 was shit compared to previous builds, i dont remember if it was the build which introduced MBC, blue parry stuff or both, but thats not the matter since this new mechanics were mediocre at the same level, also started the fall of dueling (however, despite it was shit compared to previous builds such as 1.3 or 1.4, it was at least playable and way funnier than last 2 year builds)

I havent played tempest build yet but i have played on a beta like 2 years ago when the A instant halfswing was on, despite that, blue, red, duals and staff were way powerful (blue needed a lot of skill on this tho).

Also i would rather play a build with a instant halfswing (only if its one swing of the current seven) than a build with no counters

Last edited:
1.4.5 was shit compared to previous builds, i dont remember if it was the build which introduced MBC, blue parry stuff or both, but thats not the matter since this new mechanics were mediocre at the same level, also started the fall of dueling (however, despite it was shit compared to previous builds such as 1.3 or 1.4, it was at least playable and way funnier than last 2 year builds)

I havent played tempest build yet but i have played on a beta like 2 years ago when the A instant halfswing was on, despite that, blue, red, duals and staff were way powerful (blue needed a lot of skill on this tho).

Also i would rather play a build with a instant halfswing (only if its one swing of the current seven) than a build with no counters
As long as they bring back the crispy parries of 1.4.5-1.4.9 then I’m happy tbh, that’s the biggest thing I miss. A half swing being fast just adds more fucky timings which is going to break the fundamental system which is that you should be able to parry all of your opponents swings as well as being able to pb them. Just like you could in 1.4.5 to 1.4.9

Karus

Donator
As long as they bring back the crispy parries of 1.4.5-1.4.9 then I’m happy tbh, that’s the biggest thing I miss. A half swing being fast just adds more fucky timings which is going to break the fundamental system which is that you should be able to parry all of your opponents swings as well as being able to pb them. Just like you could in 1.4.5 to 1.4.9
Totally agree with this. The parries feel so smooth in the patches you mentioned.
I remember thinking "Holy sh*t, this is the best patch ever" after experiencing parries on 1.4.5... until I saw PBC/MBC. lol

You miss them because these were the builds where you probably got good at, parries worked the same way as 1.4.5-1.4.9 on its previous builds, the thing is that it wasnt developed on playstyles because PB was way reliable and more efficent; it had perks on various styles, used to stop full combos, and enabled perfect counters, once these was vanished, there was no point to use PB rather than parries, but going straight to the point, the parries always worked the same way, it was just people that didnt use them.

For what i experienced on the beta i mentioned before, A swing wasnt as strong as you are pointing it, every style had its perks, begin the instant halfswing yellow's perk. Indeed its fast but it does less than half damage compared to a yellow single hit, also you wont earn anything by spamming it since 4 A halfswings = 2 Singlehits (2 swings left) / 1 singlehit + 2 halfswings (1 swing left); i understand people getting triggered at it because its speed, but honestly, its rather annoying than effective. Also, its easier to predict and counter than you think. The main problem why you struggle is probably because the build changes are too much and too vast, making it harder to learn in comparision when a new build is launched.

Last edited:
Totally agree with this. The parries feel so smooth in the patches you mentioned.
I remember thinking "Holy sh*t, this is the best patch ever" after experiencing parries on 1.4.5... until I saw PBC/MBC. lol
1.4.5 changed PBC for MBC as far as i can remember, they never were on the game together

Last edited:
I personally prefer a no-frills system that doesn't require mastering buggy mechanics to get the better of your opponent. I personally miss the pre V0 days of sabering. PBing was trickier to land so you couldn't just sit on duel servers and memorize the stupid 'zones' like you currently can. MBlocking required more timing, slap range wasn't as long, you could land combos and they would actually do something, combos weren't limited and messed up, you didn't have to memorize combos. You could just get in there and, with some decent foot work and combo work, you'd be a formidable match. There's so many variables to sabering now and the only people good at it are people that literally get walked through all the sabering metas by people that know better than them (or even designed the system). If no one tells you the saber metas, you will never figure it out, no matter how much you play because the system doesn't work in a logical way. It doesn't work at all how you would think it should work if you didn't know anything about it.

I think the system should be way more streamlined and easier to pick up, like the gun play.

None of you sabering NERDS will ever be happy one way or the other, might as well say screw it and simplify it.
I don't have anything to add, everything in this post is correct. It's pretty crazy how I could just become a half-decent duelist instinctually by just playing in earlier versions without actually learning anything about the sabering system. Nowadays if you don't wank around a dueling server or have somebody sit around and teach you the convoluted system you are worthless and should switch off jedi as soon as the other team has a saberist.

Last point is especially true. If you make changes that satisfy one group and make them shut up, another group of players will pop up and complain about how THIS new system is the worst thing that happened in the history of MBII. There's no winning, you can only lose.