MB2 Documentary. Round-up of events/info

If there's gotta be an mb2 documentary we might aswell start gathering all of the info we can for it. I think it's fair to talk about events that are related to the mod or the community itself (dramas included). Preferably with dates attached to each event described. And maybe even post screenshots, vids or anything that could help. just found out the mod even has a wiki page...
it's a silly idea but i might try making a vid myself

I guess it's fair to start by saying that mb2 was originally a mod for the jedi outcast, released on may 15th of 2003; on the lucasforums.com page (you can find an archived version of the og post here).
It aimed to <<more accurately create the look and feel of star wars battles from the movies>> according to the creator of the mod.

These next 2 screenshots showcasing the mod in question were taken by RenegadeofPhunk (Richard Hart) who I believe is the man who started the mod.
1651588525225.png
1651588680940.png

Apparently the mod originally only had 4 classes.
1651589180816.png

Here's some gameplay.

I've been playing MB since it was first released back in 2003. So I think I'm the oldest vet that's still around (at the forums at least). Of course I don't play MB at all anymore. Only sometimes I will enter this forum, or rather the remains of what the MB2 forum used to be ... (Sxx - we still remember). Anyway, if You want to know something from the old MB1/MB2 times, just feel free to ask :)

I've been playing MB since it was first released back in 2003. So I think I'm the oldest vet that's still around (at the forums at least). Of course I don't play MB at all anymore. Only sometimes I will enter this forum, or rather the remains of what the MB2 forum used to be ... (Sxx - we still remember). Anyway, if You want to know something from the old MB1/MB2 times, just feel free to ask :)
What the hell went wrong?

I would like to write a full history relating the things that sort of happen and evolved EU side regarding hosting and server/community. From about up to 6 years, I planned on doing that on my website... Buuut with projects it's always the tips thats hard to reach !

I'll contribute to something if we head that way.

I don't think looking at "community drama" is worth anything to anyone. People involved with any drama have hopefully moved on with their lives and become more or less fully functioning adults. Any drama would be more or less region specific too, even back when I used to play the mod actively way more than a decade ago weird server specific drama would pop on the official forums and any well adjusted individual wouldn't give a damn. I genuinely do not remember any specific thing.

Now, questions like what prompted the original devs to start developing the mod, how was version control, collaboration, design decisions, beta testing handled (....heh) would be far more interesting. But that's more generic history for mod development when games were more moddable and released as a singular product instead of the service based games which are locked tight today.

There's probably something worth visiting how people collaborated generally on fan projects from the late 90's to early 10's before the likes of Slack/Discord or git or cloud based whatever were a thing and moddability became less and less of a thing on triple A titles. I think I remember beta testing builds were distributed with tortoise svn back in the day, at least.

I remember Ren/Cerb? actually answering bunch of questions on IRC waaay back in the day in a semi-organized manner one day and being all starstruck about it. I don't think Ren worked actively on the mod back then anymore.

But anyways, any such project would have to be taken by someone with some credibility, probably someone outside the community in general who's taken up similar retrospectives before. I'd like to hear some professional-level interviews from developers of different generations of the mod but I don't see such a thing happening.

Anyways, I just ninja'd myself into this thread because I remembered this mod was a thing and this was the only topic I felt I had anything worthwhile to contribute to. And I can confirm gogetto is probably one of the oldest players of the mod, they've been boasting they played the JK2 version since the very beginning of MBII, heh.

Now, questions like what prompted the original devs to start developing the mod, how was version control, collaboration, design decisions, beta testing handled (....heh) would be far more interesting. But that's more generic history for mod development when games were more moddable and released as a singular product instead of the service based games which are locked tight today.
I wouldn't mind someone interviewing the current devs about this either. Sometimes I feel like people just construct this effigy of the devs and like to burn it for no good reason, almost as if they are a mega corporation like Activision

Cult and SE recorded clan archives, though I do not personally have access to them there are records ranging from what you may like from developers perspectives on the direction of MB2 to my personal favourite the roleplay conflicts. Though due to the crackdown on us I and some others associated with me cannot add to the archives.

If any MB2 developer is reading this, no aimbot scripts have been shared with those who aren't trusted and abusive with the script and those who abuse it currently are not associated with us, please unban me.