MB2 - 1.4.9 Duels Revisited

Felt nostalgic and very bored of 1.7's bad dueling mechanics so i hosted a server on 1.4.9 with a few friends and we had some duels. Hopefully we can return to better dueling days. Also used some red and blue.

Upvote 0

Karus

Donator
IIRC this patch was amazing to make hessu cry but other than that not very good
(mostly due to mechanics like mb counter which is just baaaaaad bad bad)

what argument can you even make to say that MBC is bad? literally rewards you for having good defence, not too easy to perform like pb counters were, allowed you to counter in places where you couldnt in the past, made high count combos (3-4 hits) more risky to perform + 1.4.9 ACM focus = both half swinging based styles + combo spam were viable.

downsides to it are....? if youve got bad swingblock u get disarmed?

all you'd need to do is make PB available in returns like it is on current patch and make mbc pb'able too. Epic fun. Epic gameplay. Epic win.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
what argument can you even make to say that MBC is bad? literally rewards you for having good defence, not too easy to perform like pb counters were, allowed you to counter in places where you couldnt in the past, made high count combos (3-4 hits) more risky to perform + 1.4.9 ACM focus = both half swinging based styles + combo spam were viable.

downsides to it are....? if youve got bad swingblock u get disarmed?

all you'd need to do is make PB available in returns like it is on current patch and make mbc pb'able too. Epic fun. Epic gameplay. Epic win.
Because its instant and deals a lot of damage. It just punishes the attacker even if he is swingblocking, also ruins the flow when you get instantly interrupted and lose a lot of bp

Because its instant and deals a lot of damage. It just punishes the attacker even if he is swingblocking, also ruins the flow when you get instantly interrupted and lose a lot of bp
If someone is good enough to consistently mbcounter a good player, he should get rewarded for it.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
If someone is good enough to consistently mbcounter a good player, he should get rewarded for it.
Its not that hard once you learn how to mblock properly. Also its a pain in the ass for styles like red which starter swing is slow so its really hard to not get mbc'd, and in red vs red if the other one mbc's the other, the fight will pretty much be over since red deals so much damage already

Its not that hard once you learn how to mblock properly. Also its a pain in the ass for styles like red which starter swing is slow so its really hard to not get mbc'd, and in red vs red if the other one mbc's the other, the fight will pretty much be over since red deals so much damage already
I never fought anyone who was mblocking very frequently, it never felt like I was dying because someone had really good MBC. Only time it was annoying was Patricia Wanguard running off then MBC'ing when you chase, but you can do that with just regular old MB on the current patch too.

As Vogolt said, if you're good enough to do it frequently then you should be rewarded for it.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
I never fought anyone who was mblocking very frequently, it never felt like I was dying because someone had really good MBC. Only time it was annoying was Patricia Wanguard running off then MBC'ing when you chase, but you can do that with just regular old MB on the current patch too.

As Vogolt said, if you're good enough to do it frequently then you should be rewarded for it.
Disarming is a good enough reward for mblocking. With mbc you'll get rekt whether you're swingblocking or not 🧙‍♂️

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
About MBC, we currently have something that's nearly instant but just slightly less consistent and doesn't require mblock to perform. If you watch a few duels around the 49:30-52 min mark of my Blue and Yellow video, you will see a few examples of what I mean. Those are basically instant pb counters but without having to mblock as well to get them to go fast. My preference is to have mechanics be consistent and clear and I think if mblock counters were handled correctly(reducing bp dmg or whatever), it'd be good to have it in the game. The reason why I say this is because we already have instant counters. They are just more inconsistent in general and don't require you to mblock. I miss the days of instant disarm into kill, especially good in open mode if you're 1v2 etc, can really turn the tide. If anything, MBC was super good for open mode.

The only problem is that this mechanic makes attacking harder. Back in the old days when things made sense, mblock counters were tied together with nudge so that you had a way of bypassing good PB and mbc defenses by nudging halfswings. At this point, I doubt nudge will make a return, but in my mind, mbc and nudge go hand in hand because of what I've just described. That being them complementing each other as mechanics. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a return of mbc if they are balanced correctly. Having a mechanic like mbc in the game also requires the rest of the sabering system to accomodate it properly. But seeing as we already have something that's close to functioning the way mbc does, I am not opposed to re-introducing it even without nudge, but it should be balanced properly.

Disarming is a good enough reward for mblocking. With mbc you'll get rekt whether you're swingblocking or not 🧙‍♂️
Right now mblocking is only useful vs someone who doesn´t swingblock. But when you´re fighting someone who doesn´t sb , whether or not you can mblock doesn´t change the outcome of the fight because of the skill gap.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
The only problem is that this mechanic makes attacking harder. Back in the old days when things made sense, mblock counters were tied together with nudge so that you had a way of bypassing good PB and mbc defenses by nudging halfswings. At this point, I doubt nudge will make a return, but in my mind, mbc and nudge go hand in hand because of what I've just described. That being them complementing each other as mechanics. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a return of mbc if they are balanced correctly. Having a mechanic like mbc in the game also requires the rest of the sabering system to accomodate it properly. But seeing as we already have something that's close to functioning the way mbc does, I am not opposed to re-introducing it even without nudge, but it should be balanced properly.
agreed, it would be fine if nudge was back