MB2 - 1.4.9 Duels Revisited

Felt nostalgic and very bored of 1.7's bad dueling mechanics so i hosted a server on 1.4.9 with a few friends and we had some duels. Hopefully we can return to better dueling days. Also used some red and blue.

Upvote 0

CatMan

Banned
Felt nostalgic and very bored of 1.7's bad dueling mechanics so i hosted a server on 1.4.9 with a few friends and we had some duels. Hopefully we can return to better dueling days. Also used some red and blue.

i can talk i love troll people in duel modes XD is so cool

Let's have a little think. How far back can we go and still find a sabering system that's better than the current iteration? 2 years? 5? What do you think?

anything after rc2 but before 1.5+ seems fair game for that title depending on where you stand

1.4.9 was the best. If you all ever get back on 1.4.9 again let me know I'd be so happy to play it. Parries etc was perfect on this build

1.4.9 was the best. If you all ever get back on 1.4.9 again let me know I'd be so happy to play it. Parries etc was perfect on this build
Me and my friend Storm have been playing around with old builds lately but if you are okay with high ping, lmk so I can put it on my server.

So if the mechanics of the game in the past emphasized and gave more agency to parrying does that make the game more accessible for people who don't consistently PBlock and thus more fun or something? It seems to me that the modern mechanics are more punishing for attacking while being attacked, with the emphasis of battles being PBlocking and halfswinging.(The sometimes instant counterswings from faster styles like staff which exist in todays verison kindof suck but beside that) Is that not a more refined and intuitive system (that perhaps has a higher skill floor) to everyone else or is it just me who thinks the problems with the game are more to do with numbers than mechanics. but tbh the input time of swings and dodge are 2 exceptions in which I think the game could be a bit more refined in a mechanical sense. like maybe u need to play to feel the difference but the footage didnt look too different from modern gameplay.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
So if the mechanics of the game in the past emphasized and gave more agency to parrying does that make the game more accessible for people who don't consistently PBlock and thus more fun or something? It seems to me that the modern mechanics are more punishing for attacking while being attacked, with the emphasis of battles being PBlocking and halfswinging.(The sometimes instant counterswings from faster styles like staff which exist in todays verison kindof suck but beside that) Is that not a more refined and intuitive system (that perhaps has a higher skill floor) to everyone else or is it just me who thinks the problems with the game are more to do with numbers than mechanics. but tbh the input time of swings and dodge are 2 exceptions in which I think the game could be a bit more refined in a mechanical sense. like maybe u need to play to feel the difference but the footage didnt look too different from modern gameplay.
Short answer: current build sucks and any build from the past 6 years is better

It's completely different from modern gameplay, you'd have to play it to really understand. This current Build is dull, boring, repetitive especially at higher levels. Nothing good about it, just copy and paste duels.

It's completely different from modern gameplay, you'd have to play it to really understand. This current Build is dull, boring, repetitive especially at higher levels. Nothing good about it, just copy and paste duels.

The footage just looks like normal gameplay aside from the less punishing BP drain from you being interrupted, the red stagger, and that blue flash on your crosshair which I can't identify. Like it seems to me that there was quite a few instances where either of you mid-duel got interrupted 1-2 times in a row and still had BP to fight for a while. Is there seriously no way you can articulate the difference in it that isnt visible to the eye?

The footage just looks like normal gameplay aside from the less punishing BP drain from you being interrupted, the red stagger, and that blue flash on your crosshair which I can't identify. Like it seems to me that there was quite a few instances where either of you mid-duel got interrupted 1-2 times in a row and still had BP to fight for a while. Is there seriously no way you can articulate the difference in it that isnt visible to the eye?
Like I said, you don't know whats going on until you play it. That red stagger is reds perk, the blue flash is when I hit a perfect parry. It feels completely different from modern trash gameplay and it is. Counter window is smaller, PB Zones are smaller, There are no combo restrictions and each style plays completely different from modern gameplay. Unless you want to try it or read patch notes you do not fully understand.