March Character Models

Discussion in 'Developer Diaries' started by Scerendo, Mar 3, 2018.

1. FaroManu

FaroManu

holy jeeez finally the death troopers they look awesome nice job guys with all of the models u did an awesome job keep up and allways work hard

2. Defiant

Defiant Project Leader Movie Battles II Team Code Leader

I had a smug little grin. Followed by a deep fear that mace wouldn't be able to get DOTF compiled in time :)

3. Richard Nixon

Richard Nixon

New Tarkin, can't wait lol

4. S o l d i e r

S o l d i e r

What can I say, I can predict the future.

5. [SE] Maren

[SE] Maren

Shame no change in mechanics..

6. Matt The Radar Tech

Matt The Radar Tech

Could you guys upgrade the current kylo ren model or use the one from peneke ? Also you guys should look into taking off the cape from the last jedi kylo he doesn't fight with it on in the movie once.

7. MuscBodypillow

MuscBodypillow

Honestly an improperly tested change to the mechanics would be worst than some more wait.

Haddon70 and Lessen like this.
  8. Ahzaala

Ahzaala

I still want Commander Doom. [​IMG]

Jameson and Haddon70 like this.
  9. Jameson

Jameson

I would love commander wolffe and rebels thrawn :D

10. TechnoGhosty

TechnoGhosty

that's cool and all but i mean when you guys adding Echo to arc troopers?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  11. KHAGE

KHAGE

Can we port that model from whatever game it's from? The current arcs / clones with the kilts are clunky & gross.

12. TechnoGhosty

TechnoGhosty

13. Puppytine

Puppytine Slayed dreamer

Please stop putting unoptimized, frame-dropping, not-really-necessary models into my MBII =\

It seems that quality (in technical terms, like having LODs) control for new models is... uh... let's say, it's kinda relaxed these days. I want it to get more attention.

Since it's a model for much newer game, Battlefront 2, I assume it's more detailed that regular Jedi Academy models, and I assume it has more polygons than JA engine can handle without extreme hardware usage.
    I also assume it doesn't have proper LODs.
    That's a lot of assumption for a single post, I know; Somebody who is familiar with modding and game models in general (devs), can correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is that mindless adding all new and shiny models, without thinking about how it's gonna affect performance does hurt Movie Battles.
    Honestly, models for classes like clones, arcs and dekas aren't very different anyway. Who the hell is going to examine every single pixel to detect some tiny differences? Why is it even important?

14. TechnoGhosty

TechnoGhosty

i was just wondering if you could get echo in the game some how, and jus got the first thing i saw im not too bothered about the way other arcs look

15. Scerendo

Scerendo Steady Eddy Movie Battles II Team

You are entirely correct :)

Ignoring the potential cease and desists for porting recent Star Wars content (particularly from EA's Battlefront or Force Arena) models like that Clone trooper are likely to be wholly unoptimised and not even designed to run in an old engine like JKA's. Our larger character models in MB II range around 6/6.5k triangle mark (triangles are just polygons but split in half/triangulated) in comparison a typical Battlefront 2 models that range anywhere from 60-80k triangles,

Not to mention the textures are designed to run in a different engine with real time lighting, (lighting information and shadows have to be baked into the textures for JKA) so the model would in no way resemble what you would see in those games, and would look pretty terrible without work in JKA. And thats ignoring all the limitations JKA has when it comes to the amount of meshes, how detailed they can be, and how models are rigged and animated etc.

Performance is already pretty tricky in MB2/JKA, and you make a fair point about models lacking LODS, though I would hasten to add that: newer models added by myself, DT85, Mace, Lervish and Plasma all have LODS and will continue to do so. The main issue is infact alot of the older models in the game lack or lacked LODS or proper optimisation (one of the Wookiee models was notorious for this) although we are making steps to address that.

In regards to the request for better arc troopers, I'm sure we can look at using the upgraded clone models by AshuraDX (Ashura's Clone trooper - JKHub) and maybe using them to upgrade the current Arc models, since they look great and are properly optimised for JKA.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Penekowski, Jameson and Puppytine like this.
  16. TechnoGhosty

TechnoGhosty

yeah i agree they look a whole lot better. so for instance, if i send something like this: Echo & Fives - JKHub would there be a more of a chance of it being added cause it's optimised for JA rather then something like Gary's mod?

Scerendo likes this.
  17. FrenzY

FrenzY Internal Beta Leader Movie Battles II Team

Great work!

Scerendo likes this.
  18. Scerendo

Scerendo Steady Eddy Movie Battles II Team

Yes, definitely suggesting decent looking and optimised models will have more of a chance of being added to the main roster.

In regards to the arc troopers, for the future patch (not the next one coming out in April but maybe the one after) II will take a look into upgrading the current models since there have been a few requests in regards to arc and clone models. Obviously we won't be able to add every individual unique clone from the show (since there are far too many and roster slots and texture spaces are limited) but can definitely consider including a couple of skins of the more prominent characters (Rex, Fives etc)

19. Lessen

Lessen Childpuncher Movie Battles II Team

Worth noting that virtually none of the non-BaseJKA models in MB2 are anywhere near as optimized as the BaseJKA models. Even the ones with LODs have much higher polycounts on their lowest LODs than Base models. Hence my Base Pack.

20. TechnoGhosty

TechnoGhosty

ah ok, that sounds fantastic, and it would be pretty rad if more arcs were added. but alternatively i have more respect for the amount of work that goes into finding the right models that don't totally destroy MBII.