Making New Content is Pointless Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so leet that I play casually.

Ok. New solution.

Admin cmd that changes the music and adds sparks and shiny disco balls to the map.

Inspired by:

Dance party mofos, Dance party.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It would just be a transfer of a power away from the server owners to the community itself.
Server owners is part of the community like anybody else. They deserve the same amount of respect as anybody else, they deserve not to be violated.
Hosting a server isn't a sacred knowledge, all the tools you need are freely accessible, guides are available on the forums, so let's not try to divide the owners from the players.
If the community who plays on that server wants to constantly play DOTF they still can with the "Stay Here" button.
That would be unfriendly. People shouldn't be required to put an additional effort if desired functionality can be archived automatically.
And apparently putting that power in the hands of more people makes us nazi dictators.
Limiting what private business can do without providing very serious reasons is what turning government into Nazi dictators.
And limitations to private businesses always hurt customers as well, this is unavoidable consequences those happen almost in every case.

Let's take an absolutely fictional situation as an example: imagine, there is Internet messenger, similar to Viber or WhatsUp, and it uses cryptography to protect messages people send each other.
Then the government of some country decides to request encryption keys from the messenger, to be able decrypt everything users say. You know, just to fight terrorism and make things safer. "Think of the children" and stuff.
Admins of the messenger told the officials to fuck off, and that web-service became banned in our (completely fictional) country.
So who's gonna suffer because of this? Indeed, owner of the messenger are the first in the list, because their business in that country is ruined. But users are victims too, because they can't use that software anymore. Back then they had N messengers to choose from, now they have only N - 1. It doesn't really matter how big or small N is, it's a loss, it's still a violation of human rights.

But enough with fictional example, now I want to go straight to the point.
As many people already stated, currently we have servers of both types, 24/7 and RTV/rotation. Servers owners have freedom to choose which kind of server they want to host, and players have a freedom to join either single-map or RTV servers.
If "mandatory RTV" idea will be implemented, it will effectively remove both freedom of the owners and freedom of the players. They won't as free as they were the day earlier. Players will not be able to choose 24/7 server anymore.

So I don't know in which universal a suggestion to shrink people's freedom is considered as "giving power to the people", but definitely not in mine. This is just absurd.
Your arguments aren't just invalid, Mace, they are complete bs. If I wasn't debating with you and other devs before, I won't even believe you're serious now.
1.) the fact that it's bad for the game's health in the long run
Stop calling "facts" random things.
With this level of "arguments", you literally can take any MBII feature and call it "bad for the game's health in the long run", would it be class, weapon, force power or map.
2.) is bad for other server owners who're trying to compete because they're so much easier to run
Other server owner are free to use any map policy that want.
Why those who host single map servers should be punished because of popularity of this format?
3.) create generations of new players who have the worst selected from them to stay while the best leave for greener pastures.
I think players can decide by themselves which servers they do like and which they don't.
Your attempts to present 24/7 servers as come kind of hypnofrog that turns players into zombies are pathetic.
they've gone straight for attacking me
You're talking about "personal attacks" in the very same thread where you literally, LITERALLY called the community "shitty" and "extremely degenerated"? Really?
No, US RTV servers don't get big or consistent population.
If US RTV servers lack of population comparing to 24/7 DotF/DS/whatever servers, that simply means people prefer single-map servers to RTV.
Deal with it.
The quality of players in the mod has gone down.
ffs
FFS
Do you seriously imply that you're supposed to judge players and their "quality"? Who the hell do you think you are?
People play to have fun, not to entertain you. Calm your fantasies.
If we had the actual ratios for maps played per player over time per region per server we'd clearly see that both Deathstar and DotF are the most popular maps, and the servers that host them exclusively 24/7 are the most popular in the US region by a hugely disproportionate amount.
That would simply means that these maps are more popular than others.
You cannot stand the fact that you are minority, that most of the others do enjoy maps and servers as they are now. Vocal minority, true, but still a minority.
Again, tell me why I'm wrong when I say 24/7 servers are terrible for the game, for the community, and for the developers.
You're wrong because you're simply making things up.
24/7 servers aren't terrible at all, since RTV and rotation servers exist as well. Players are free to choose between them, choose what they like more. I fail to understand how having more options are terrible for anybody.

The only people it's bad for are developers. Yeah, you're right about that, seeing players prefer old maps to a new content have a crucial effect for designers' ego, but who cares?
Games aren't about devs, they are about players. Same applies to all other kind of art or production, be it music, movies, books, sports or anything else. When you're losing a popularity contest, it's always a bad, weird decision to blame auditory for your own fault. You just should perform better instead. Try harder.
Remember all those cases when Microsoft releases new version of Windows, users say that it sucks, they refuse to install it, and then M$ starts to push new Win to everybody's throats? Remember how much hate Microsoft gets every time, simply because their new products can't compete with old software? All they have to do is to code it better!

@Puppytine

You haven't provided any counter-arguments to why these one-map servers are bad, you've simply said "they aren't" while accusing me of making things up. This isn't just hypocrisy but true cognitive dissonance.

You accuse me of speaking on behalf of "the players," and yet you speak on their behalf by saying what is right now is the collective will of the majority. Again, your hypocrisy is staggering.
_____

Rather than continue to waste time with a "yes it is," "no it isn't" between us for another few pages, let's do a thought experiment.

If RTV were to become mandatory, then your thesis that these one-map servers are what everyone wants to play would be put to the test.

If the majority of people don't like RTV and would rather play the same map forever, then they'll vote never to change the map. They'll stay on that one-map as they had before and the status quo will not be threatened. However, if the majority of people actually want to play on other maps, then they would vote for other maps instead, rather than stay on the same map that is supposedly the community's first choice.

If you gave the playerbase itself the option to choose, my bet is that they would choose a wider variety.

If you're afraid of this being true, then this exposes the skew in your belief of whose rights matter more - in your case, the rights of the server owners (minority) at the expense of the general playerbase.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
You haven't provided any counter-arguments to why these one-map servers are bad, you've simply said "they aren't" while accusing me of making things up.
hahahaha, and what's your arguments for "they are bad"?
My point is very clear: having more options is better than having less options. Currently, players can choose between one-map servers and RTV servers. They are also free to make their own server, with pazaak and twi'leks.
let's do a thought experiment.
We no need any other experiments because there is one experiment that is happening right now:
As I said, both kind of servers exist right now, and I even think that 24/7 are outnumbered, majority of servers do have a rotation in some form.
Each second, each hour, each day they freely compete for people's attention, for popularity.
If the majority of people don't like RTV and would rather play the same map forever, then they'll vote never to change the map.
That would require an unnecessary efforts from the players.
Like if every time I click "community.moviebattles.org" in a speed dial of my browser, a confirmation window would pop-up, asking me do I really want to open MBII forums, and suggesting me to visit some other Internet-forums from a list.
That would piss me off.
No, I don't want to visit any other forums, I already clicked community.moviebattles.org.
No, I ain't giving them a chance, I'm not interesting how good they may be.
Just bring me to the MBII site, without any further ado.

Also, that would give some window for trolls, they could raid servers that used to be single-map, voting for unpopular maps just to fuck with people (this is what actually trolls are supposed to do, mess with people).
If you gave the playerbase itself the option to choose
They already have plenty of options. The thing that you're suggesting wouldn't even keep number of option as is, it would actually lower them!
Because these days we can choose between 24/7 and RTV servers, and in your universe we don't have a such right.
If you're afraid of this being true, then this exposes the skew in your belief of whose rights matter more - in your case, the rights of the server owners (minority) at the expense of the general playerbase.
Servers owners seriously depend on their attendance: competition between servers is high, and once some particular server stops to satisfy wishes of its players, it is done. People need only a few clicks to switch to other server.
This is exactly how any business works; for example, TV channels are very dependent upon their ratings. It's not like TV studios (minority) have some special rights at the expense of the audience, it's more they are ruthlessly fighting everyday just keep ratings where they are.

"Mr. Meryl: Oh yes, Craig. It appears that the ratings for your show are down significantly.
Stan [knowingly]: Gee, what a coincidence.
Jimmy: I wonder... oo-oo.. w-why?
Mr. Meryl: You need to know how important ratings are, Craig, so, I'm going to suspend you from school and request that you have your testicles removed surgically. [Craig's jaw drops.]
Cartman [gleefully]: Haha! In your face, Craig!"

Quest for Ratings

Last edited:
This thread is retarded. I'ts honestly so simple, if you pay for your own server do what you want and as for the official servers they can also do what they want because it's also someone else's server. You can't force people to not play on the same map all day regardless to what you say, if you don't like it host your own server. I agree with you, I think 24/7 servers are pretty shit too but oh fucking well.

I wouldn't worry if I were you! You've made an awesome map and I'm sure the majority (if not everyone!) will appreciate your hard work.

Based on everything you've done and what you've shown us, I think the map will turn out great!

This thread is retarded. I'ts honestly so simple, if you pay for your own server do what you want and as for the official servers they can also do what they want because it's also someone else's server. You can't force people to not play on the same map all day regardless to what you say, if you don't like it host your own server. I agree with you, I think 24/7 servers are pretty shit too but oh fucking well.

MovieBattles 2 is a modification owned by the MovieBattles Team by copyright. It says this right on the bottom of the page.

With your own reasoning, because the MovieBattles Team owns this mod, they could just decide one day to blacklist all the servers they don't like and say "Sucks to suck, it's our mod, we get to do what we want with it since we made it. Get over yourselves. After all, we paid for this mod with our time and effort, and own the rights to it legally." With your reasoning, that would be a perfectly valid course of action.

If ownership is all that you go by, then might makes right and there are no values beyond that. I really don't think you believe this. People who have power should be responsible with it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, and this is definitely the case with server owners who host 24/7 servers. Having one map on the server 24/7 is an effective tactic, yet very irresponsible for the sake of the greater community and the mod makers.

MovieBattles 2 is a modification owned by the MovieBattles Team by copyright. It says this right on the bottom of the page.

With your own reasoning, because the MovieBattles Team owns this mod, they could just decide one day to blacklist all the servers they don't like and say "Sucks to suck, it's our mod, we get to do what we want with it since we made it. Get over yourselves. After all, we paid for this mod with our time and effort, and own the rights to it legally." With your reasoning, that would be a perfectly valid course of action.

If ownership is all that you go by, then might makes right and there are no values beyond that. I really don't think you believe this. People who have power should be responsible with it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, and this is definitely the case with server owners who host 24/7 servers. Having one map on the server 24/7 is an effective tactic, yet very irresponsible for the sake of the greater community and the mod makers.

I see what your saying and the point your trying to make but it just isn't morally right to do so. Doesn't matter too much anyway as the 24/7 servers are the same maps that are voted on the rtv servers mate lol

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
Sold to the highest bidder. All the comments inside are now yours. Locking the storage, u can pick up ur key after the auction is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.