•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Mac Installation Problem

Hey guys. I temporarily went away from the game a few months ago and during that time my HD went down so I'm trying to reinstall from scratch.
Copied over the base files from CD, downloaded OpenJK, installed homebrew, installed SDL 2. Opened it up, base SP and MP work fine. Downloaded the latest MB2 via torrent, downloaded and copied over all three patches in ascending order, and put the MBII folder into the Library/Application Support/OpenJK folder as instructed on the installation wiki page.
Previously, I would open base MP and load MBII from the Mods tab to launch it. Doing this showed the initial MB2 startup screen, but then it loads the base UI, just without the shuttle flyby clip in the center. I was successfully able to load an MB2 server and spectate without issue, though clicking the Join tab kicked me back out to the main menu, telling me it was unable to load team UI. And, of course, the base UI gives none of MB2's control or setup options.

I downloaded JKJA Launcher 1.3 from the jkhub link, but it says the OpenJK-provided app is unsupported when I try to link it. I then tried to go the way of the Mono launcher, installed Mono, and downloaded MBIILauncherLIN.exe which successfully opened the launcher. It checked the files, downloaded mbii.x86, and upon finishing, the play button just prompts this error in terminal:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2

Referenced from: Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK/mbii.x86.app/Contents/MacOS/mbii.x86

Reason: image not found

I downloaded SDL 2.0.5 directly from libsdl.org, copied it to /Library/Frameworks, and tried again. That got it past the initial roadblock, which then culminated in this error:

Couldn't get window display mode, no resolutions detected (Couldn't find display mode match).

...ERROR: no display modes could be found.

GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Lacking the technical ability to troubleshoot further, I gave up and came here. Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer the simplicity of the manual installation and launch through base MP like I had before rather than screwing around with all the launcher jazz, but naturally I'm willing to do what it takes to get the thing working.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I would prefer the simplicity of the manual installation and launch through base MP
If you want to load mod via base MP, why did write so much text about OpenJK?

1. Just move MBII folder to "~Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP"
  2. Download JKJALaunch
  3. Set in JKJALaunch path to your SWJKJA.app (or whatever it's called on your computer), set "+set fs_game MBII" as command line parameter, as described here: Installation & Troubleshooting Guide
  4. Start JKJALaunch
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!
As for installation, it's much better to use MBII Launcher to install Movie Battles, since it validates files already on disk by calculating md5 and download required files automatically.
Use manual installation only when MBII Launcher crashes and you can't get it working.

2. Download JKJALaunch
  3. Set in JKJALaunch path to your SWJKJA.app (or whatever it's called on your computer), set "+set fs_game MBII" as command line parameter, as described here: Installation & Troubleshooting Guide
  4. Start JKJALaunch
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!
As for installation, it's much better to use MBII Launcher to install Movie Battles, since it validates files already on disk by calculating md5 and download required files automatically.
Use manual installation only when MBII Launcher crashes and you can't get it working.
I always have to install the updates manually because I can't get the MBII launcher to work on my Mac. I will be upgrading to a PC soon though!

kikili

Movie Battles II Team
What is you graphic card configuration ? (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics processor with 256 MB of GDDR3 memory ?)

Thanks for the help, kikili. My GPU is ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.
This is my entire terminal window, from starting the launcher to clicking play:
macs-Mac-Pro:~ username$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/OpenJK; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe

WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.

Using default runtime: v4.0.30319

2016-11-21 07:31:22.669 mono[9982:320049] WARNING: CFSTR("MovieBattles is \37777777702\37777777651 2003-2016 MovieBattles Team") has non-7 bit chars, interpreting using MacOS Roman encoding for now, but this will change. Please eliminate usages of non-7 bit chars (including escaped characters above \177 octal) in CFSTR().

OpenJK-MP: v1.0.1.0 macosx-x86 Dec 20 2014

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/z_MB_BaseAssets.pk3 (14 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/zz_MBModels2.pk3 (4562 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/zz_MBModels.pk3 (1807 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MB_Effects.pk3 (696 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MBII_Mac.pk3 (3 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MBII.pk3 (5 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MBHilts.pk3 (825 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MBAssets3.pk3 (2266 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MBAssets2.pk3 (1841 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MBAssets.pk3 (636 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MB2_yavinassault.pk3 (88 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_undeadstar.pk3 (236 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_um_assets3.pk3 (1058 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_um_assets2.pk3 (3497 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_um_assets.pk3 (1110 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_tradefed.pk3 (299 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_theed.pk3 (94 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_tatooine.pk3 (173 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_tantiveIV.pk3 (158 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_smuggler.pk3 (55 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_SDestroyer.pk3 (128 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_republiccruiser.pk3 (712 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_rc_hangarC.pk3 (337 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_mygeeto.pk3 (141 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_mustafar.pk3 (197 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_moseisley.pk3 (1 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_lunarbase.pk3 (57 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_korriban.pk3 (52 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_kamino.pk3 (364 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_jeditemple.pk3 (414 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_jakku.pk3 (170 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_jabba.pk3 (126 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_eravana.pk3 (132 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_enclave.pk3 (265 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_echobase.pk3 (91 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_yavin4.pk3 (68 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_votj.pk3 (47 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_utapau.pk3 (63 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_starkiller_base.pk3 (55 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_starforge.pk3 (115 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_senate.pk3 (71 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_sabh.pk3 (62 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_revan.pk3 (129 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_ravager.pk3 (81 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_office.pk3 (103 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_malachor.pk3 (101 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_duel_emperor.pk3 (146 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_dotf.pk3 (267 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_deathstar.pk3 (347 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_Coruscant_chase.pk3 (230 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_corellia.pk3 (254 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/MB2_Commtower.pk3 (255 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_cloudcity.pk3 (276 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_boc.pk3 (539 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/mb2_alderaan.pk3 (170 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/FAMBModels.pk3 (1799 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK/mbii.x86.app/Contents/MacOS/base

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//base/assets3.pk3 (16 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//base/assets2.pk3 (62 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//base/assets1.pk3 (8320 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//base/assets0.pk3 (15346 files)

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//base

----------------------

51532 files in pk3 files

execing mpdefault.cfg

execing openjk.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

----- Initializing Renderer ----

Trying to load "rd-vanilla_x86.dylib" from "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK/mbii.x86.app/Contents/MacOS"...

QKEY found.

SDL using driver "cocoa"

Initializing OpenGL display

Display aspect: 1.771

...setting mode 9: 1600 1200

Using 24 color bits, 24 depth, 8 stencil display.

Couldn't get window display mode, no resolutions detected (Couldn't find display mode match).

...ERROR: no display modes could be found.

GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Also, my monitor's native resolution is 1360 x 768. Considering it mentions "setting mode 9: 1600 1200" and "could not get window display mode, no resolutions detected," could this be a problem?

2. Download JKJALaunch
  4. Start JKJALaunch
  5. ???
  6. PROFIT!
I need OpenJK to run the game. I can't use the original SP/MP apps because they're PowerPC only. JKJALaunch won't accept OpenJK as a launch path for me.
And I understand the launcher is 'better' but, as I said, I prefer a manual installation, even if it means redownloading the entire mod to update, to avoid having to use command line. I would certainly make an exception in this case IF the launcher worked. I just don't understand why the manual installation is failing.
In fact, I might try downloading a mod from jkhub to see if I have the same issues loading it manually. Then it might indicate a problem with my JKA installation.

kikili

Movie Battles II Team
Thanks for the help, kikili. My GPU is ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.

Also, my monitor's native resolution is 1360 x 768. Considering it mentions "setting mode 9: 1600 1200" and "could not get window display mode, no resolutions detected," could this be a problem?
Could be indeed the problem.
Make a copy of file openjk.cfg :
Code:
cp /Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/openjk.cfg /Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/openjk.cfg.bck
Then trash it :
Code:
rm /Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenJK//MBII/openjk.cfg
Then launch it again and see if you get same error message.
Do not change to a resolution higher than one supported by your hardware.
In MBII set it to custom resolution and enter manually your native resolution.

I need OpenJK to run the game. I can't use the original SP/MP apps because they're PowerPC only
True but you can get the latest one from apple store or steam which is Intel.

Last edited:
That did it! Game successfully started from the launcher and is currently running without issue. Thanks so much!

Edit: Well, odd unrelated issue. Framerate is oddly low when running in windowed mode. Averaging about 40 fps on an empty Lunar Base. Changing graphics settings from maximum to minimum yields no change. I switched to fullscreen, which then caused the game to get stuck in a loop of endless reloading until I force quit. Between each reload I did catch a glimpse of the fps counter, though, which showed a much better 125.

Last edited:

kikili

Movie Battles II Team
That did it! Game successfully started from the launcher and is currently running without issue. Thanks so much!

Edit: Well, odd unrelated issue. Framerate is oddly low when running in windowed mode. Averaging about 40 fps on an empty Lunar Base. Changing graphics settings from maximum to minimum yields no change. I switched to fullscreen, which then caused the game to get stuck in a loop of endless reloading until I force quit. Between each reload I did catch a glimpse of the fps counter, though, which showed a much better 125.
Play in fullscreen is the right way. SDL2 window mode is not really optimized as fullscreen. Have you set it up in mb2 as custom resolution then enter your native resolution ?

Play in fullscreen is the right way. SDL2 window mode is not really optimized as fullscreen. Have you set it up in mb2 as custom resolution then enter your native resolution ?
Ah, I see. Yes, I set the custom resolution as 1360 x 768. But when I switch it to fullscreen, it just restarts endlessly and I'm not able to do anything. I have to trash the config file again so it goes back to windowed mode.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Oh that old bug with endlessly restarting. Are you using the latest OpenJK? If so then we need to inform them to fix that bug. I fixed that in jaMME some monthes ago.
Do 4:3 resolutions work better? I personally never noticed performance differences on Mac with fullscreen or windowed.

Oh that old bug with endlessly restarting. Are you using the latest OpenJK? If so then we need to inform them to fix that bug. I fixed that in jaMME some monthes ago.
Do 4:3 resolutions work better? I personally never noticed performance differences on Mac with fullscreen or windowed.
Yes, freshly downloaded OpenJK.

I switched to 1024 x 768 and saw no effect on performance.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Where did you download OpenJK from? I was informed it was fixed ages ago and thus that latest OpenJK doesn't have not that endless restarting issue.