•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Local Server?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a local LAN server of the sorts for just myself to roam around the maps and get more used to them. When I select "Create" in the multiplayer menu and select the map, a little after it starts loading the game crashes. When I (in console) type /devmap mapname it says Moviebattles does not support this gamemode. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Hosting Server: Windows | Movie Battles II Community
When I (in console) type /devmap mapname it says Moviebattles does not support this gamemode.
Type /devmap mapname again, map will be loaded at second time, though I'm not sure is it the way to create a server that will be accessible to other people.

If you want to get rid of that message:
Open your config:
Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII\jampconfig.cfg for jamp,
My Documents\My Games\OpenJK\MBII\openjk.cfg for MBII Client/OpenJK,
find line containing g_gametype, replace it to:
Code:
seta g_gametype "7"
If you don't have such line, just add it to a config.

You can also use this command (same rules for "this gametype is not supported" message):
Code:
map mapname
Also it's highly recommended to edit/add this line to a config file, otherwise players will not have enough points to customize their classes:
Code:
seta g_MinMBPoints "80"

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
When I select "Create" in the multiplayer menu and select the map, a little after it starts loading the game crashes.

If you are running a widescreen resolution this tends to happen (engine bug) though we have a fix coming in the next update I believe. You can get around this by switching to a square resolution before starting the server, and then back to widescreen once you have loaded in.

If you are running a widescreen resolution this tends to happen (engine bug) though we have a fix coming in the next update I believe. You can get around this by switching to a square resolution before starting the server, and then back to widescreen once you have loaded in.

This technique didn't work for me :/ I switched from 1360 x 768 to the lowest resolution the mod offers and it still crashed. As for the
seta g_gametype "7" one, that also didnt work for me. Same outcome.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This technique didn't work for me :/ I switched from 1360 x 768 to the lowest resolution the mod offers and it still crashed. As for the

Make sure r_mode gets set to something other than -1. What I usually do is /r_mode 8 (This is equal to 1280x1024) in console, then /vid_restart to apply it. Create the game, then r_mode -1 then /vid_restart once again to go back to widescreen.

try doing /g_gametype 7 when you're in the game in console as well rather than config.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Are you saying you have added "seta g_gametype "7"" to your config and you still can't load a map using map or devmap command from a first try?
You must did something wrong, maybe it's wrong config (read again what config for what engine), or you added it to a config before other line containing "g_gametype".
And yeah, try what @MaceMadunusus suggests, type
Code:
seta g_gametype "7"
in the console.

I added "seta g_gametype "7"" to jampconfig.cfg, and I have no luck :/ That is, unless i'm using the wrong config. I'll try those few commands Mace, Ill update in a sec after I try it.

I just tried that resolution thing, and the game still crashed but left me in literally the craziest looking resolution I have ever seen, unequal black borders everywhere and my browser in a tiny box in the middle of the screen haha.

EDIT:::: I just tried starting up the game again, it said the game was already running; The widescreen fix thing actually worked!