Lack of "Playable" maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Butters

Donator
There's plenty of maps out there that are fun to play on. Personally, some of my favorite maps are cmp_hotel and cmp_hotfo. Are they perfect? Fuck no, they both have huge problems with them, but I find them to be fun. One problem with both is that they are "complex" in a way. Hotel is hard to navigate unless you know exactly where to go, and hotfo can be confusing too for the same reason. On top of that, hotfo has various traps (enemy player operated or trigger events). Because of that, they can be extremely unfun for someone who doesn't know how the maps work.

The beauty of maps like dotf or deathstar is that they're pretty simple in terms of layout. I love me a good variety, personally, but the community as a whole tends to stick with dotf or deathstar for a reason.

I’m not a map designer, so I don’t know exactly how best to balance a map, but I’d love to see other maps (cmp, mmp, and official) that aren’t so popular be reworked and made into better maps. Maybe some sort of open beta map testing, take feedback from the community on how best to improve them? I’d love to see cloud city get reworked so the obj isn’t so shit.

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
I’m not a map designer, so I don’t know exactly how best to balance a map, but I’d love to see other maps (cmp, mmp, and official) that aren’t so popular be reworked and made into better maps. Maybe some sort of open beta map testing, take feedback from the community on how best to improve them? I’d love to see cloud city get reworked so the obj isn’t so shit.

It is my hope that more open beta map sessions happen, like what Frenzy put on for Citadel during it's development. At the moment I am revisiting Theed Streets and Geonosis Canyons and making them smaller/leaner.

I think geo canyons has a lot of potential, a lot of the outside would have to be cut and a lot of the inside made smaller

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
While not anywhere near final (I might add some geonosian caves and some shortcut bunker entrance doors near rebel spawn) my chops and slices so far look like this (the top red line is where I could move and condense the hallways down to), which is now around 9100 wide by 5700 high:

1579113405014.png

Compare with the current design (roughly 9100 width by 8600 high)
1579113244780.png

Master Butters

Donator
It is my hope that more open beta map sessions happen, like what Frenzy put on for Citadel during it's development. At the moment I am revisiting Theed Streets and Geonosis Canyons and making them smaller/leaner.

That’d be awesome. Would we be able to get a launcher news update about an open beta test for the map when it’s ready? I didn’t even know about the one for Citadel, but I also don’t pay too much attention to the mb2 forums and discord. If you do a launcher news update for it, it’ll help get more people to see it.

In this instance the fault lies with the playerbase, not the devs. As others have pointed out, there is no lack of decent maps to play on, and the EU community takes full advantage of this. As it stands right now the only NA servers that tend to get any population are 24/7 servers, with the exception of Casual Corner and the occasional population of tR/EXE/EW's/MAF's RTV or Rotation servers (which usually only populate when members of their respective clans populate them first). Unfortunately, those clans don't populate their servers every day, and you can't play on Casual Corner unless you are a total potato or purposely make yourself bad at the game. It sucks being a veteran MB2 player and essentially being barred from playing on the only active rotation server to protect the fragile ego of other players, but it is what it is.

tl;dr there are plenty of non-24/7 NA servers with good maps run by AoD, EW, EXE, MAF, and tR the playerbase simply chooses not to populate them.

Last edited:
tr has given plenty of opportunities for more maps and different gamemodes in our other servers but everyone always just pops deathstar

not much we can do when people don't want to pop our rtv server and just complain instead

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
While not anywhere near final (I might add some geonosian caves and some shortcut bunker entrance doors near rebel spawn) my chops and slices so far look like this (the top red line is where I could move and condense the hallways down to), which is now around 9100 wide by 5700 high:

View attachment 4282

Compare with the current design (roughly 9100 width by 8600 high)
View attachment 4281

I would even venture as far as splitting the map into two. The outdoors is a fun place for fights, but we never get to have any there, since the defender's advantage is too great at the doorways. Having a whole map in the outdoors with a lot of height variations, natural rock bridges, ravines, all that Geonosian goodness would be exciting. It would even allow you to introduce some explosions, atmospheric fog and dust for added cool.

The indoors could very well be a map by itself as well. It's already super fun and hectic to fight in there as is. Ample cover and the objective is in a central room that's relatively hard to secure for either team.

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
I hear you, the remix will hopefully have the best of both worlds for now, what you describe I'd prefer to do in a new map like Sullust but given progressive siege is now a thing perhaps that could work as part of a multi-geonosis deal.

FrenzY

Chaos Connoisseur
Movie Battles II Team
tr has given plenty of opportunities for more maps and different gamemodes in our other servers but everyone always just pops deathstar

not much we can do when people don't want to pop our rtv server and just complain instead
Not much you can do? Boiiiii, you make me laff.
Solution: turn tR Deathstar into an RTV server.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It's almost like people being used to 24/7 map play is a self-reinforcing preference (new players being exposed and acclimated to the same thing).

There's a solution to this, but a lot of people wouldn't like it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.