Jedi Outcast 2 demo hangar map

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired
You are asking about a recompile, thats a no no as yea all vis stuff gets fuxed, but if all we need to add are spawns etc, u can hand add them similar to the xmas dotf aod.

Cat Lady

Great, that means it is perfectly usable for JK2 demo. And even JK2 bots know how to walk through it!

Not for much else, though, save for already mentioned decompile. Be my guest and work on it ;)

Great, that means it is perfectly usable for JK2 demo. And even JK2 bots know how to walk through it!

Not for much else, though, save for already mentioned decompile. Be my guest and work on it ;)
So it is possible to create map for MB2 aswell? :)

Cat Lady

Please, read again previous posts in this thread. I've explained it already. No .map file - no map for mb2. Unless someone (you?) wish to take time and decompile .bsp THEN spend shitload of hours fixing it. For such small map, could as well made it from scratch (and/or use decompiled .bsp as reference), could be less work.

DarthDementous

US Official Server Admin
as someone who has decompiled and edited 25 JKA duel maps to work with mb2, the process is fairly simple. with q3map2 you need to run a .bat file instructing it what to do decompile (can't remember the specifics right now), then add in siege spawn entities with GTKRadiant and compile it with q3map2GUI as 'ents only' because that's the only thing you've modified. the rest of the map will remain unchanged as long as you edit the entities only.

however, although JKO is Freeware that kind of copyright license means it can only be distributed as an exact copy - modifying it is in breach of the license. its illegal to modify the map to use it in a different game, but its such an obscure situation in a game not even owned by EA so its highly unlikely there'll be any issue. just letting you know the legality in case it bothered you.

Cat Lady

Apart from legality, aren't - during decompile - brushes broken down based on VIS component, instead of being made like they were originally? Not to mention shifting textures. We have certain quality/optimization levels to meet, and I highly doubt that brute-force decompiled map meets them without heavy rework of brushes.

Even *if* something changed and the above is not valid anymore, gain/work required ratio looks poor here. If someone loves the map to the point of decompiling and fixing it on his own, we will gladly review the work (and provide small fixes, if necessary, if we decide that base thing is worth including). Otherwise, team mappers effort is best directed elsewhere.

/Cat Lady

DarthDementous

US Official Server Admin
Apart from legality, aren't - during decompile - brushes broken down based on VIS component, instead of being made like they were originally? Not to mention shifting textures. We have certain quality/optimization levels to meet, and I highly doubt that brute-force decompiled map meets them without heavy rework of brushes.

Even *if* something changed and the above is not valid anymore, gain/work required ratio looks poor here. If someone loves the map to the point of decompiling and fixing it on his own, we will gladly review the work (and provide small fixes, if necessary, if we decide that base thing is worth including). Otherwise, team mappers effort is best directed elsewhere.

/Cat Lady

nope, by using q3map2GUI to compile entities only all it does is overwrite the entities on the map before, everything else is kept intact. while the decompiled map is broken when you open it up in Radiant, the entity data is exactly the same as the .bsp of the compiled original, a simple overwrite of the entity data with the decompiled version over the original will make it so that's the only thing that has changed in the map.

Pahricida

oh thats nice to know and A LOT less work than fixing the broken VIS or redoing it from scratch. Now you only need someone who knows mapping and is willing to do this. ^^

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
nope, by using q3map2GUI to compile entities only all it does is overwrite the entities on the map before, everything else is kept intact. while the decompiled map is broken when you open it up in Radiant, the entity data is exactly the same as the .bsp of the compiled original, a simple overwrite of the entity data with the decompiled version over the original will make it so that's the only thing that has changed in the map.

I've been telling people this for eons that it was possible to do. Tbh it should be done for this map as its no tthat hard of an effort, I too at some point used to do this but now I dont even know how to create an entity :\

DarthDementous

US Official Server Admin
I've been telling people this for eons that it was possible to do. Tbh it should be done for this map as its no tthat hard of an effort, I too at some point used to do this but now I dont even know how to create an entity :\

I don't have everything installed at the moment but I can walk you through the process if you want to learn again. I spent a while away from Radiant but luckily I picked things up again pretty quickly.

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
I don't have everything installed at the moment but I can walk you through the process if you want to learn again. I spent a while away from Radiant but luckily I picked things up again pretty quickly.
This may be useful to learn as I need to add a couple of extra spawn locations points to some of the JKO maps. I pledge myself to your teachings, my master