•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Jedi Academy / MBII suddenly freezing at menu

Haven't been able to find any help online or on my own, so I am coming here!

Since last Sunday/Monday, I've been unable to play MBII or Jedi Academy base game as both games will start to freeze at/just before the menu.

MBII is freezing up right when the MBII logo comes up prior to the menu appearing. It will freeze, unfreeze for a second and then freeze again. The menu loads but the freezing pattern continues the same. This continues until I have to reboot, as I am unable to move the mouse long enough to select Exit.

I also tried to launch just Jedi Academy single player by itself, and it does the same thing. The LucasArts intro and everything else plays through fine, then it freezes just before loading the menu, and continues to freeze, unfreeze for a second, on and on.

All of my other games play fine/as usual, inc. Jedi Outcast, classic Battlefront II and anything else I've tried. No performance issues in any other applications. I've been playing MBII for the past year or two consistently and never had any major technical issues, either on my old computer or my new one. I have Windows 10, GOG version of the game. My drivers and Windows are all 100% up-to-date. No issues with any of the other GOG games I've tried.

I uninstalled both MBII and the Jedi Academy base game. I deleted all related files that I could find. I have reinstalled the game and tried to load it without the mod on the PC, but either way it still has the same problem. I rolled back the last Windows update but that didn't do anything. I installed Jedi Academy via GOG Galaxy app, didn't help.

It seems like there is a problem that my PC has with the base game that just appeared last weekend.

My only other idea at this point is to buy the game on Steam and see if that works, or reset my PC.

Anyways, thanks for reading and for any help!

ent

Movie Battles II Team

k4far

Banned
Donator
Do you have good advice?

Yes, pls download my notcryptolocker.dll and put it in your system32 folder for improved performance and get totally free reality crash. You are just lucky it's not a malware. You never download any dlls from 3rd party websites. Likes on YouTube video can be faked, positive comments on a website can be fake too. Literally half of the programs "fixing missing dll" are implementing backdoors in your computer and then you have bad internet connection because some person is using your computer for sending ddos attacks.

I understand your point, but I researched this issue pretty thoroughly and it seemed common enough, with a common fix endorsed by Support on both Gog and Steam. I felt confident enough to give it a go and it fixed the issue.

Is there a known alternate fix I should have pursued here?

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I'm assuming this is the Intel graphics problem? If you have a discreet GPU (either AMD or nVidia) run the game using that - there should be an option in the graphics card control panel to force it to be the preferred default device. Or try using MBII Client (OpenJK) - I think the bug is fixed in that.

Unfortunately MBII Client did not work either and I do not have a discreet GPU. Perhaps it was slightly risky, but the fix in the link above worked for me. I appreciate the replies.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
While I agree with what ent said in common cases, I also admit that sometimes updating drivers from official sources doesn't work, and you have to dig deeper in your bag of tricks.

It seems that in this specific case official drivers are the problem, not solution; Intel let their customers down buy being too greedy to provide drivers with decent OpenGL support.
So to have Jedi Academy and Movie Battles running correctly, OP had to use software that converts OpenGL calls into DirectX calls, since Intel didn't yet screw up a support of DX.
Yes, pls download my notcryptolocker.dll and put it in your system32 folder for improved performance and get totally free reality crash. You are just lucky it's not a malware. You never download any dlls from 3rd party websites. Likes on YouTube video can be faked, positive comments on a website can be fake too. Literally half of the programs "fixing missing dll" are implementing backdoors in your computer and then you have bad internet connection because some person is using your computer for sending ddos attacks.
It's not that bad if you know what you are doing.
The good thing is that virustotal.com is here, and it's highly likely that it cannot be faked.
Here are scanning results for a file from second post: VirusTotal

That opengl32.dll is GLDirect, a known tool that can be downloaded from here: GLDirect
Unfortunately MBII Client did not work either and I do not have a discreet GPU. Perhaps it was slightly risky, but the fix in the link above worked for me. I appreciate the replies.
You're lucky that GLDirect worked for you.
There are numerous users who couldn't get MBII to work exactly because they downloaded the same file as you did, so I used to think that GLDirect breaks things and it should be recommended to uninstall.
Also, since you're saying that "Since last Sunday/Monday, I've been unable to play MBII...", I believe that drivers on your computer were updated on Sunday, and that was the reason why MBII stopped to work.
Therefore, rolling drivers back should fix your issue without needing GLDirect.

Also, it's strange that MBII Client didn't work for you, usually it works even on Intel crappy videos.

f7322f7ffeee.png