Increasing The Playerbase

Ben has kind of spilled the beans here. This is something Sno, Defiant, Mcbober, myself have largely been working on for the past few weeks. The rest of both th dev and beta team have been providing feedback as we go. It is far from a simple task but we want to do it right. I also wanted to wait a bit more to show/tell the community a bit about the project till after the first tutorial was finished but may as well give a run down now.

So about the tutorial:
  • We have 17 tutorials currently planned. (Basics, Class Selection, Class Tutorials, Gamemodes/Objectives, Melee, Dueling)
  • Tutorials are in-world and interactable.
  • Fully voice acted by our beloved batman (McBober)
  • May not be fully polished on initial release but still functional.
  • Hoping for 6 tutorials to be "completed" before Solo release.
  • All tutorials are built in such a way that editing them later in case we change mechanics will be relatively easy compared to most other map changes. For example we can update voice lines, subtitles, timings of events, etc. without ever entering the .map file.
  • Tutorials will have a minor narrative/story line associated with them.
Here is the most recent update video on the tutorial. Keep in mind that it isn't finished yet and isn't really quite ready to be shown yet as it is missing a number of features (subtitles being in the proper place, popup UI on the left/right showing binded keybinds for things, some indicators are disabled on it because of a bug, etc.). Simply, it isn't done yet.

Here is one of the features I added after recording this video.
2af5e752e545758378fe3d11421f0278 - Create, Discover and Share GIFs on Gfycat
Specific spots of the tutorial will have little pop up videos or images with various things showing what to do on them. For example in the beginning when it says you can customize controls by hitting escape -> controls it will have a popup graphic in the world of the escape menu popping up, then an arrow that appears pointing to controls, then the controls menu opening.

With this we also plan to do a push to update the ingame library and wiki a bit more than they are currently. We also have a few other things planned as well to help out in this area but I am not going to spill the beans for those working on it.

I am hoping we can get that fixed soon enough. It was noted as a problem before the new lunar was released but there wasn't anything I could do to prevent it map side. Simply waiting for a coder to have the time to fix it here.

This looks absolutely amazing for newbies - one point I'd like to suggest though - you might want to remove the sound of bodies de-spawning on this map like what happened at the elevator, that loud buzzing could distract or prevent a newbie from hearing what the tutorial is telling them. Not sure if it's possible on a per map basis, but something to consider.

Also, on those pop up screens which appear to demonstrate what to do - you might want to show the keys they should be pressing/the combination, such as in the one example you show here - flash the crouch and roll keys behind held from the beginning of the fall until the roll and then release them, might give some players a better understanding and remove absolutely all possible confusion.

Other than that, looks amazing - this is definitely something that'll help some newbies get the hang of MB2. As long as it's suitably obvious, maybe have a pop-up prompt when you first launch MB2 asking you if you want to go through the tutorials.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Not sure if it's possible on a per map basis, but something to consider.

I don't think this would be easy to do.

Also, on those pop up screens which appear to demonstrate what to do - you might want to show the keys they should be pressing/the combination

Planned. Waiting on code support so it gets actual key binds rather than just defaults.

As long as it's suitably obvious, maybe have a pop-up prompt when you first launch MB2 asking you if you want to go through the tutorials.

Planned. Waiting till Starushka has time to make the actual menus for the tutorials for this.