How much of the Saber system is being changed next update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am asking because I don't know if I want to spend hours upon hours learning the current saber-system if the new one is going to do away with what I've learned.

Honestly I am not looking for details here, I am just wondering if I should still spend time learning the current one or if I should wait for the new one and then practice like a madman.

If you can't answer, then that's fine too. At worst, I'll just have to wait.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
its a pretty low level "argument" but ur the boss
A lot of low level arguments end up with two people flaming the ever loving shit out of one another. I like to avoid that as often as possible, so that each thread has a chance to actually fulfill it's purpose, and then some.

Uh, not really. I've adapted to every single saber system for the past 10 years, and haven't whined incessantly unlike some players. Stassin saying 'agent likes it' is indicative of how good a saber system it actually IS when you compare it to some of it's predecessors.
I was literally the only eu duelist using red up until 3 years ago.
This is precisely why you cannot be used as evidence for... anything. You've always been different from the rest. Mostly in a bad way.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
This is precisely why you cannot be used as evidence for... anything. You've always been different from the rest. Mostly in a bad way.

Last time I checked that was a good thing? Trying to make other styles work, noticing the weaknesses of these styles ( for example, Red was very bad and had NO chance against a good yellow UNLESS you could fluke it with aerial/acrobatic crap - you know this...) and then offering suggestions on how to improve them. Whereas the yellow clones could offer nothing much concerning the other styles, logically, as they never played.

At least I don't jump off the boat if I find a saber system that doesn't agree with me, like 90% of you naysayers have. Jesus.

Annnyway - if you know, you know. Genuine duelists with an appreciation of the saber system as well as an understanding of how (relatively) bad it was for some styles 'back in the day' will understand what I am saying. No more OT for me, sorry!

That's a nice way to try and avoid the fact that you're different from the rest and don't represent the bigger portion of the community's view on this. All you represent is your own view which is based on something entirely different than the rest has experienced with MB2.

You like the current system because you never really experienced the awesomeness that was Yellow pre-V1.1. I did, however, occasionally use Red (DFA flying, fast combos and unfair damage on slapped defenseless opponents, that's pretty much all there is to it) although it was considered a lame thing to do.

Remember the period of V0.1.5 - V.0.1.9 where Red stagger was introduced and it became OP as shit and every noob used it to 2-hit-kill everyone? Did I quit dueling back then? No, because Yellow was still fun. Underpowered but fun. Finally we get this shitty 4hitcombo → PB → repeat system which you don't care about as you never were a Yellow player, and thus keep considering it the best thing ever and arguing with everyone as it just so happens to compliment the playstyle you, one person, prefer.

All in all, <edited> you don't represent anyone but yourself because you play differently from the rest. Being different in this way is not itself a bad thing, but if you honestly consider yourself the voice of community, then well, I can't say it enough, <edited> And when Sisi uses you as evidence for "hey, some old duelist likes this system", it's pretty sad. There's no reason for someone like you NOT to like the current system, while there is for others.

I know changes to the system are underway and things should improve, but I just wanted to get this out of the way.

Post edited due to offensive content

Last edited by a moderator:

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
I never played yellow simply because it was the easiest and most overpowered style to use back in the day, hence why people such as you used it. When you actually get a system that gives all styles the same capabilities/no one style is GROSSLY overpowered, then we see who the real duelists are and those who were reliant on a crutch.

I don't know if you noticed but there are 6 other styles? And your summary of how red was played is incorrect. Don't delude anyone: you never, EVER played red. Sekundus, Sisi and SeV will know the sort of underpowered red I am referring to.

I never played yellow simply because it was the easiest and most overpowered style to use back in the day, hence why people such as you used it.
Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Even after the examples of V0.1.5 - V0.1.9. I am done here. Keep spouting your irrelevant nonsense and lies all you want.

Last edited:

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Red, Staff, Duals, Purple, Cyan are "grossly" Overpowered.

Sunshine you never experienced some of the earlier saber systems, so let me make it simple for you: by ''grossly'' overpowered, I mean a style is completely dominant over the others, and the others are practically USELESS/too much risk for little reward. That WAS the case with styles several years ago. You had to work your ass off to try and beat a competent yellow, and even then it was a 45% chance. That isn't the case with this system, as EVERY style can be used effectively (though some are more OP than others, which I agree with).
Staff needs a nerf on its BP damage, Red needs the BP drain removed, Purple isn't OP at all, Duals is just an ezmode/russian style and I agree, Cyan is just lol.

The fact that you're on the Beta team both scares me and surprises me. God forbid any of your anti-all styles except yellow suggestions get considered.

Again I reiterate: if you know, you know. If you're seriously saying yellow wasn't the dominant style up until these saber overhauls from 2/3 years ago, then you're flat-out lying.

What anti-all styles except yellow suggestions? You're making shit up again, just like how I used Yellow only because it was easiest and strongest. Yellow was dominant in the way that it was the most fun to use, not because it was better than others in terms of efficiency. There were just as good duelists with Blue, there were just as good duelists with Red (you, probably Sisi, maybe Sek). While I did cry back then about balance (when Red got stagger and noobs used it to two-shot everyone), I never quit playing because Yellow vs Yellow was still a common and fun thing, which it no longer isn't.

Honestly, nobody cares about your justifications for Red usage pre-V1.1. Nobody cares what you think about why others used Yellow. The issue at hand is that you are a minority. No, not even minority. You're just one. Using just one person as evidence for anything is silly and has a great chance of backfiring (I believe it did with V1.1+?).

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
I ain't being used as evidence for anything though, lol. Stassin literally just used me as an example of a vet who likes the saber system (I'm not the only one!).
Red and blue could be used, but yellow was still easily the best style.
Nobody cares? Okay! People didn't use yellow because it wasn't the most powerful style, then! Nor because red was significantly weaker. I'm done lol.

If by 'minority' you mean one of 3/4 people still playing the saber system who have stuck to it for the past 5/6 years (SeV, Sisi and Sek being the others), then okay!

I ain't being used as evidence for anything though, lol. Stassin literally just used me as an example of a vet who likes the saber system (I'm not the only one!).
Red and blue could be used, but yellow was still easily the best style.
Nobody cares? Okay! People didn't use yellow because it wasn't the most powerful style, then! Nor because red was significantly weaker. I'm done lol.

If by 'minority' you mean one of 3/4 people still playing the saber system who have stuck to it for the past 5/6 years (SeV, Sisi and Sek being the others), then okay!
what? people use yellow because an extremely large number of people find yellow the most fun, and yellow vs yellow to be the most fun way to duel

why do you think people are complaining right now? do we have stockholm syndrome with yellow and since it used to the strongest thats the only one we want to use? if people really just used yellow because it was the best they'd have no problems with all these other clown styles being on top

if you legitimately think yellow was only preferred because it was the best i can't help but question how out of touch you are w/ the opinions of other duelists

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Mate, did you even play previous saber systems? I don't even know who you are to be honest. If you are SERIOUSLY saying that Yellow was not the best style up until a few years ago, then I don't know what to say.

Yellow vs yellow is fun, I'm sure. However that wasn't my point. My point pertained to the fact that only FAIRLY recently have ALL styles been given the potential to be used independently of other styles. That is most definitely a first. Blue had a hp drain feature years ago, and red had its uses; but you would ,more often that not, have to pair it with yellow if you wanted a good chance of winning.

Strawman, bro. And yes, I sincerely believe that after yellow was balanced/brought down a notch, many people left. That is most DEFINITELY the case in the EU dueling community. The amount of regular/vet duelists shrunk incredibly after people realised yellow wasn't the Godfather style it used to be. This is quite simply a fact. Unless you can say otherwise with empirical evidence, I stand by this. Has nothing to do with a style being fun to use or not.

I really feel like a lot of you are twisting/misinterpreting my words, and are not aware of the context in which I am applying them. I also believe that a lot of you probably didn't experience some of the earliest saber systems and this is reflected in some of your comments.

You're the one twisting others' words. Nobody's saying that Yellow has never been the most efficient style, we're saying that it's not the reason why we stand behind it so much. Stop making shit up for god's sake.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Ayay, how did this devolve over night? Can't I sleep in peace?

Anyways yellow has always been a perfectly fine style. Back when I was working on the v0 system my concern was yellow half-swings and how to mitigate them, since at that time they were the big problem. After that I can only assume it's been all about yellow combos and how to mitigate them enough so that they can still be useful in duels, followed by red after it got buffed. There needs to be an overall balance among styles, since you don't get all of the styles just by existing, although the thought of having all styles available and force powers restricted in duel mode did cross my mind. Perhaps if we can find a good balance between the style we can someday think about making each style good against another specific style, however at the moment that over-complicates it; in addition to the mechanics of the system itself.

There needs to be a style that is Jedi, is what I'm trying to say, and that's yellow. It's had it's problems, but it needs to be there to be a middle-ground if we ever want to improve the other styles beyond a niche purpose.

let's all argue about the sabering styles, while (hopefully) devs are buffing the gunner classes unnoticed

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
You're the one twisting others' words. Nobody's saying that Yellow has never been the most efficient style, we're saying that it's not the reason why we stand behind it so much. Stop making shit up for god's sake.

Is that why you and 90% of yellow-only duelists left as soon as the perks were brought in? I can recall such comments as "Yellow is useless now/this saber system is shit/yellow is crap" in abundance, from yourself and Seth. But heck, what do I know!

Is that why you and 90% of yellow-only duelists left as soon as the perks were brought in? I can recall such comments as "Yellow is useless now/this saber system is shit/yellow is crap" in abundance, from yourself and Seth. But heck, what do I know!
that actually supports our point though

we want to use yellow because its fun, not because its the strongest. if it cant compete, why even bother dueling

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
...but yellow can compete if well played. The fact that it's harder to use than other styles/isn't as powerful links in with its cheap cost/'jack of all trades'.

Status
Not open for further replies.