How much of the Saber system is being changed next update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am asking because I don't know if I want to spend hours upon hours learning the current saber-system if the new one is going to do away with what I've learned.

Honestly I am not looking for details here, I am just wondering if I should still spend time learning the current one or if I should wait for the new one and then practice like a madman.

If you can't answer, then that's fine too. At worst, I'll just have to wait.

Maybe apply to the beta team then?
My application is sitting there since like... 2 months ago? Funny thing is I had already been accepted before the old website went down. So not sure if advising people to just go and join BTs has any value.

Or maybe I'm just a dick and others have better chances of joining.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
My application is sitting there since like... 2 months ago? Funny thing is I had already been accepted before the old website went down. So not sure if advising people to just go and join BTs has any value.

Or maybe I'm just a dick and others have better chances of joining.
I've been slow on applications lately. I'll be getting the applications processed by the end of the day.

Right, I was counting stassin as a duelist aswell though o.o

I think we've had massive success working together, but it remains to be seen whether or not others will like it aswell ^^
you aren't scared that a 2-man team is working on it alone?

even with 3/4/5 people there's still an extremely high chance of creating an echo chamber, no matter how often you think you disagree

Supa

The Serial Stacker
you aren't scared that a 2-man team is working on it alone?

even with 3/4/5 people there's still an extremely high chance of creating an echo chamber, no matter how often you think you disagree
They weren't working alone. The entire beta and development team was involved, and the vast majority was pleased with the changes and additions to the system. That's the entire reason they're being pushed.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
are you flirting with me?

sorry, not happening. i already have someone i like.
Me too, man. They don't need to know. 8^)

Anyways, it felt good. It'll feel strange at first because there definitely some differences from the last build, but they solve a lot of prevalent problems that have plagued previous systems.

They weren't working alone. The entire beta and development team was involved, and the vast majority was pleased with the changes and additions to the system. That's the entire reason they're being pushed.

This isn't very reassuring. Sounds like the same environment the new PB got pushed through in. A couple of saber savvy testers in an echo chamber pushing out an idea that non saber savvy testers seemed to (reluctantly?) agree with, and now we're in a build where dueling is considered to be at an all time low to most of the playerbase (NA at least, idk about European) outside of theoretical echo chamber. Hopefully these changes are better than the last ones the majority ruled to push through. I'm curious what you voted for and against in the -last- series of changes Supa. :(

Agent wasn't exaggerating when he said there's only 1 experienced saberist leading the ideas and changes to the saber system. Most of the other experienced saberists that thankfully contributed to beta quit over time when they all realized their input was realistically insignificant compared to what a developer wanted to put into the game. I've seen first hand that there is a concerning lack of checks and balances / second opinions that go on in the beta environment and I think it has a very strong correlation to how the saber system was allowed to somehow decline in popularity.

Last edited:

Supa

The Serial Stacker
I was not involved in the last series of changes. Had I been, dash wouldn't have gone through, purple and cyan would have been held back until they served a feasible purpose beyond being new and shiny toys for Jedi and Sith and saber perks would not have directly influenced Jedi/Sith vs gunner balance.

I've literally only been back since Sxx went mad. Until then I had been more or less uninvolved for 4 years, occasionally checking in to see what weird ideas we were coming up with next.

Stassin

Donator
This isn't very reassuring. Sounds like the same environment the new PB got pushed through in. A couple of saber savvy testers in an echo chamber pushing out an idea that non saber savvy testers seemed to (reluctantly?) agree with, and now we're in a build where dueling is considered to be at an all time low to most of the playerbase (NA at least, idk about European) outside of theoretical echo chamber. Hopefully these changes are better than the last ones the majority ruled to push through. I'm curious what you voted for and against in the -last- series of changes Supa. :(

Agent wasn't exaggerating when he said there's only 1 experienced saberist leading the ideas and changes to the saber system. Most of the other experienced saberists that thankfully contributed to beta quit over time when they all realized their input was realistically insignificant compared to what a developer wanted to put into the game. I've seen first hand that there is a concerning lack of checks and balances / second opinions that go on in the beta environment and I think it has a very strong correlation to how the saber system was allowed to somehow decline in popularity.
I can only shrug here. It will never be reassuring for anyone, because we're aiming for some holy grail of a system that will give the most "fun" and at the same time "consistent" experience. Even if you were the one making changes, you might soon realize that you aren't happy with them at all yourself. And we're also limited by the game. At any rate it's not like any changes would ever happen if somehow everyone's opinion in the community could veto them.

I also dislike the current public saber system at the very least because it's deprecated in terms of visual feedback. However, that doesn't stop many new/semi-new players who both did and didn't experience previous versions from liking it; and even veterans who have seen a larger variety of builds - agent likes it. Let's not think too much of our opinions just because "we've been very active in some builds and they were great" and new builds are bad and an excuse to whine, while actually the most important reason why we quit is because we're older, had enough fun time with our respective groups/clans/communities when we were teens, and went back to RL matters. Let's be seriously honest, even if RC1 was your holy grail, and next build was a reversion to RC1, you still wouldn't come and play mb2 remotely as much as 7 years ago, because other reasons.

In any case "making changes in an echo chamber" is how it works, it's not like there is any other way. If you don't like it, it's up to you to start being more active and make sure you are having an influence. Being almost inactive and blaming active people for doing things you don't like will pretty much always result in you being mostly ignored.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
lets not use agent as evidence for anything, hes more along the lines of "things lined up to work out for how i like to duel finally so im going to defend this build to the death" type of bias

Uh, not really. I've adapted to every single saber system for the past 10 years, and haven't whined incessantly unlike some players. Stassin saying 'agent likes it' is indicative of how good a saber system it actually IS when you compare it to some of it's predecessors.
I was literally the only eu duelist using red up until 3 years ago. When I found a system that actually made red a viable choice? That made staff a viable choice? That reduced yellow to a normal style, and not the MUST HAVE style? You're damn right I defended it till the death.

I was literally the only eu duelist using red up until 3 years ago. When I found a system that actually made red a viable choice? That made staff a viable choice? That reduced yellow to a normal style, and not the MUST HAVE style? You're damn right I defended it till the death.
yeah this is exactly what im talking about

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Enough of that. If you want to argue about what saber system is better make a different thread, or take it to PM's

Status
Not open for further replies.