How much of the Saber system is being changed next update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am asking because I don't know if I want to spend hours upon hours learning the current saber-system if the new one is going to do away with what I've learned.

Honestly I am not looking for details here, I am just wondering if I should still spend time learning the current one or if I should wait for the new one and then practice like a madman.

If you can't answer, then that's fine too. At worst, I'll just have to wait.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
As far as I know there will be no more tweaks.

No major ones atleast. I've pretty much finished re-writing relevant parts of my guide so it'll be updated upon release. Also, there's no need to worry that you have to re-learn the saber system. I'v had extensive back and forth with stassin and we've balanced each other out to an extent. I think this has improved the quality of the saber system update tremendously, because it's not just one person whose ideas go unchallenged. Stassin challenges my ideas and I challenge stassins'. That way only good, reasonable changes got through. Atleast that's the theory? Also, I don't pretend to understand programming, but stassin's been doing some magic lately :)

I'm very excited about the new saber system, but NDA you know x.x

I have the only one question to you guys: will you nerf the goddamn katas? Why in previous patches we could pblock and even mblock this shit and now all you can do is to dodge it? They are immune to anything except some melee tricks. Pl0x resbond!

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I have the only one question to you guys: will you nerf the goddamn katas? Why in previous patches we could pblock and even mblock this shit and now all you can do is to dodge it? They are immune to anything except some melee tricks. Pl0x resbond!
They are going to get a single nerf: they won't gain ACM anymore. Except DFAs since those are easier to dodge.

I wanna know too if blue lunge will still be gaining ACM? I assume not since as you say only DFAs do because they're easier to dodge, which blue lunge isn't. But a confirmation would be nice.

A dev diary would be nice so you could let the general public know exactly where the saber system is going. Sure you can tell us a revamp is happening but is it a good revamp or a bad one? We can't really know unless we get some more details on it. I think moving in the opposite direction for blocking is a terrible idea that I hope you're not suggesting when you referenced it in your previous post Stassin. I had high hopes for the saber system revamp we currently have when I was on the beta team but I guess it's because I wasn't able to test it out all the time so I couldn't get a feel for how it was. I miss the old PB system but it seems there's no interest in returning to it. This new saber system got rid of any unique dueling styles that someone would display on servers and now it's all the same. There's no more combo->slap->s+a->heal(reset combo)->combo, dual stab->heal, no more nudge combos which added a wide variety to dueling that I really miss and I know I'm not the only one. Removing nudge was overall the worst idea in my opinion that really destroyed dueling. I didn't really want to make a post because it's just another old duelist bringing up already stressed issues.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Oh my Fking god if this retarded bullshit is true and not just some fake lie attempt at getting everybody hyped up for nothing I'll be reverting my game back to 1.2 and hosting my own Movie Battles 1.2 Only Server and I'm 83% sure enough people will play to form a community that does not play this new shit -.-

gl

Stassin

Donator
A dev diary would be nice so you could let the general public know exactly where the saber system is going. Sure you can tell us a revamp is happening but is it a good revamp or a bad one? We can't really know unless we get some more details on it. I think moving in the opposite direction for blocking is a terrible idea that I hope you're not suggesting when you referenced it in your previous post Stassin. I had high hopes for the saber system revamp we currently have when I was on the beta team but I guess it's because I wasn't able to test it out all the time so I couldn't get a feel for how it was. I miss the old PB system but it seems there's no interest in returning to it. This new saber system got rid of any unique dueling styles that someone would display on servers and now it's all the same. There's no more combo->slap->s+a->heal(reset combo)->combo, dual stab->heal, no more nudge combos which added a wide variety to dueling that I really miss and I know I'm not the only one. Removing nudge was overall the worst idea in my opinion that really destroyed dueling. I didn't really want to make a post because it's just another old duelist bringing up already stressed issues.
I could tell you things that you will probably like, and also some you probably won't. Doing that would make little sense anyhow, because there's 33 saber system changes in the changelog so just telling a few will not give the right idea; on the other hand telling everything will be confusing even for long-time players, especially since a chunk of the changes are things never seen before (or heavily reworked). In the end the only way to get the feel of a large revamp such as this is to play it, and only then can anyone really link written changes to gameplay experience.

By the way, use + reload will shut your saber down anytime just like heal used to, even in current public. Albeit with a slight cooldown on reactivating the saber if you were in an attack (but not special moves).

Last edited:
do you think it would be a problem to enable that for dfa's and katas? at the very least mimic the old style where the animation continued but it wasn't active any longer

Stassin

Donator
The problem is, cancelling katas with heal allowed to move freely after, thus removing all risk from using the kata because you could dodge any backwhacks or attacks putting you at a disadvantage. That's why use + reload won't work with katas.

EDIT: this gives me an idea though, special moves could all be nerfed again, but on the other hand we would allow to stop them using reload just like stopping a normal swing (properly, not being stuck in an animation or whatever). And with use + reload too. That way they wouldn't feel like invulnerable moves which can only be dodged, and they could be used more naturally along with the flow of normal swings. I like that. Of course again, they would need to be nerfed heavily compared to their current state in beta (which is the same as public but only DFAs can gain ACM). But it's most probably a better direction than keeping they as they are. I'll look into it after next patch.

Last edited:
S

Shady ^^

Hmm, how exciting. I can't wait to test all of dueling's new aspects. It sounds like the next patch is soon to see daylight, right?

Ugh, more button combinations? This game has way too many buttons going on... My mouse already has attack and all the class specials plus weapon mode/lightsaber style. Reload and use are on my keyboard. My hands do not perform the same feats as yours, it's not very practical to cancel attacks in that way. And more cool-downs! Yaaaay! Just what we need.
I really wish control would stop being taken away, next thing you know it'll be a turn based game.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Surely, being able to cancel kata's with reload will give you more control not less? One of the main points I've been trying for in the beta is to make dueling fun and engaging and that includes giving players increased control of what they are doing.

Keybinding isn't so hard really, wasd movement, e for slap, q for saberthrow or forcepower if u dont use ST. F for use or forcepower. I like to have use on my mouse next to lightsaber style. r for reload c for forcepower like speed or lightning (change every time u pick another forcepower). Lightsaber style on mouse np. Force push and pull on scroll wheel. Weapon next bind to 2. Seeing 4

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Surely, being able to cancel kata's with reload will give you more control not less? One of the main points I've been trying for in the beta is to make dueling fun and engaging and that includes giving players increased control of what they are doing.
I think Revanic's point is reload can't cancel alone, use has to be pressed at the same time. Having to press two buttons to do one thing may be very awkward, especially since use and reload aren't generally keys that you'd be pushing at the same time. Even with your key layout, R + F seems like an awkward button combo unless you try to press them both with one finger.

EDIT: I realize that pressing reload alone can do the feint cancel or whatever, but the saber turn off cancel that requires two keys is awkward to do IMO.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Reload cancels without use afaik.

Saber turn off cancel isn't useful in combat. I believe what stassin is suggesting is to make it possible to cancel katas with reload just like you can cancel swings with reload.

Last edited:
I'm all for canceling swings, but I don't think there should be multiple ways to do it, even if the other way cancels more things... that just doesn't really make sense. Sure, button combinations to do cool things is cool, but it shouldn't be awkward to pull off. Not everyone aims to be a pro with seemingly absurd key bindings, but plays MB2 casually too. Heck, my bindings are mostly the default. More control should not have to sacrifice convenience.

I would really like to garner a better understanding as to the nerfs approaching. As a relatively new player who has spent alot of hours honing what I would like to call my own personal taste on the Cyan style, I've been worried because I've been hearing countless rumors stating things such as that Cyan is being nerfed heavily. (Loss of its BP draining abilities) and may not be its old self. As well as the removal of slap? Can any of the beta testers or devs tell me about this? I don't want to continue playing and practicing Cyan and my style (The whole reason I play this mod!) if its all for nothing and I should instead focus on something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.