Hello Again

Hey Guys,
I used to play a long long time ago, in fact i dont recognize half the maps i now see in videos etc, but thought ide say hello and that im gonna try and start up again. Playing from AUS and remembered ping being a bit of an issue, so bear with me if u see me walking into walls and such :p

ent

Movie Battles II Team
The only way to fix ping is get closer to the server physically. Ping is a physical delay, there are no commands to make it lower, unfortunately.

Ho hum, there are many paths you can take to improve your experience. I'm so mysterious!:)
You can improve efficiency without having to take a boat to the mainland:)

NbQqKVF.png

This is an introduction for new players, hopefully it will help you understand the basics upon entering your first game.

Important Network Settings
Escape >Setup
> Networking > Rate - Set this to 25000
> Networking > Max Packets - Set this to 100
> Networking > Snaps - Set this to 40

Important Gunplay Settings
Shift+` (tilde button left of 1)
/seta cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 1
/seta cg_thirdpersontargetdamp 1
/seta cl_timenudge -50

If you're used to games with lag compensation on weapons, then yes, JA's old school Q3 networking can take some getting used to.
If the MB2 devs felt so motivated, I'm fairly sure they could incorporate the unlagged Q3 mod into JA/MB2.

However, it'd significantly effect class balance; gunner classes, and instant hit weapons in particular, would become easier to use.
It'd also introduce all the nasty artifacts* inherent with backwards reconciliation latency compensation.

*high latency players being able to shoot you 'in the past', long after you're in cover/around a corner.

A minor improvement can be achieved in JA/MB2 with the console command "cl_timenudge -X" where 0<=X<yourPing.
It works by forcing your client to predict Xms into the future, thereby mitigating the latency of your inputs.
However it has side-effects; most noticeably other players will appear to warp when they change direction.

It's worth mentioning that while Q3/JA/MB2's networking is 'old school', it isn't inherently worse than more modern engines.
While it doesn't do a very good job of hiding latency (and thus isn't noob friendly), it is very predictable, learnable, consistent, and efficient (very low latency), so has a higher skill ceiling.

All that said, projectile speed is a completely different issue, and not particularly relevant when comparing MB2 & SW:BF.

Thinking about adding this to the guide. Do you find this useful?

/cg_fov 97
/rate 25000
/snaps 40
/cl_maxpackets 63/100 (63 is middle setting. If you've got bad ping, go lower, excellent ping go higher. If your internet is good, but unstable you want more packets. If the ping is bad, but your connection is stable, you want lower packets)
/com_maxfps 125

/seta cl_timenudge -50 (optional) - Makes enemies choppier in exchange for being able to react earlier/quicker. Experiment with -25 or -15 if you feel 50 is too much. This is not necessary, but it might help you if you've got a higher ping than the norm.

// Camera commands to make your aim stable and crisp. It makes the xhair feel connected to the aim/model and gives a snappier feel. I prefer this over default (0.3) or cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 0.09

/seta cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 1
/seta cg_thirdpersontargetdamp 1

Also,

baumbart.jpg

ents_by_tolyanmy-d8km816.jpg

Last edited:

ent

Movie Battles II Team
As I told, there is nothing you can do to lower the ping.
Timenudge is just a joke feature in general. It does not force to predict anything at all. You just force to delay packets recieving, so you are even more in past on your client side. So you see the game a bit more synchronized with the server, but you actually delayed in general. The ping is left the same and the sum of the fake ping + timenudge is still the same ol good ping.
Do not fool yourself, play with actual delay - it will teach you predict things correctly and everything will be smooth.
Learning with timenudge can make pseudo positive experience, but learning actual combat would be harder after this.

The only one and the best way to compensate the ping among players is to implement the unlagged system. With that system the server applies events with knowledge what user had on the given event, and if, for example, shot event hit something on client side the server check its own "history" with current time minus user delay time and the user actually could hit anything at that moment then the shot get applied.
Such a system already done in ja++, for example. I tested it with aussie guy and it worked fine. Prolly having it in MBII could help.

Anyways, that's sad that timenudge brainwashed people that much but hope my explanations undo it for someone.