•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Launcher Having trouble getting MBII Launcher to install on Ubuntu

I have tried to use Wine and Playonlinux and neither are working for me. Perhaps i missed some key step. Do i need the launcher installed just to play? Anything that would help me get it installed? I have tried the instructions on the main site for installation. Any help for this would be greatly appreciated.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Forget about using the launcher on Linux. Just use the manual install ZIP along with a 32-bit Linux build of OpenJK. You will also need to replace jampgamei386.so in MBII with the nopp version.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Not only you should forget about MBII Launcher on Linux, you should forget about Wine and Playonlinux as well.
Movie Battles comes with native Linux binaries, you no need any Windows emulator to run it.
Though, it's necessary to install multiarch/32-bit version of required libraries, because MBII is strictly 32-bit.
Just install Movie Battles manually via .zip archive.
Don't forget that MBII is just a mod, you need Jedi Academy to play it.

Forget about using the launcher on Linux. Just use the manual install ZIP along with a 32-bit Linux build of OpenJK. You will also need to replace jampgamei386.so in MBII with the nopp version.
i have the game all setup on steam using the instructions and steam play on the main site, do i have to use OpenJK or is this optional? And how do i manual install the zip? Where/what is the nopp version?

Not only you should forget about MBII Launcher on Linux, you should forget about Wine and Playonlinux as well.
Movie Battles comes with native Linux binaries, you no need any Windows emulator to run it.
Though, it's necessary to install multiarch/32-bit version of required libraries, because MBII is strictly 32-bit.
Just install Movie Battles manually via .zip archive.
Don't forget that MBII is just a mod, you need Jedi Academy to play it.
where can i install multiarch/32-bit version of the required libraries?

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
  • OpenJK: Yes, it is required to play natively, which you will need to do since I have not heard of anyone getting the launcher working using WINE. You will be kicked by the anicheat system if you try running the Windows version without the launcher.
  • Install: Go to the download section and download the complete ZIP. Extract the contents to your GameData folder (so you will end up with an MBII directory next to base). This is the same as any other mod in Jedi Academy.
  • Multiarch: I don't know. You haven't said what distro you are using. But it would be the same as anything else in a mainstream Linux distro (search for it using your package manager's tools, Google it, etc.)
  • nopp: The file is jampgamei386.nopp.so and is inside the MBII folder along with everything else you download to install MBII. As I said you need to replace the default jampegamei386.so with that.

• OpenJK: Yes, it is required to play natively, which you will need to do since I have not heard of anyone getting the launcher working using WINE. You will be kicked by the anicheat system if you try running the Windows version without the launcher.
  • Install: Go to the download section and download the complete ZIP. Extract the contents to your GameData folder (so you will end up with an MBII directory next to base). This is the same as any other mod in Jedi Academy.
  • Multiarch: I don't know. You haven't said what distro you are using. But it would be the same as anything else in a mainstream Linux distro (search for it using your package manager's tools, Google it, etc.)
  • nopp: The file is jampgamei386.nopp.so and is inside the MBII folder along with everything else you download to install MBII. As I said you need to replace the default jampegamei386.so with that.
how do i get openjk to work? i downloaded it and installed it from the software marketplace, what else do i need to do?

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
how do i get openjk to work? i downloaded it and installed it from the software marketplace, what else do i need to do?
What is it? OpenJK? Jedi Academy? Please be as precise as possible or I will not have much chance of helping.

Please also clarify the distribution you are using.

You need to download an x86 build of OpenJK or build it yourself. Install the files to GameData.

and where do i find the nopp
What is it? OpenJK? Jedi Academy? Please be as precise as possible or I will not have much chance of helping.

Please also clarify the distribution you are using.

You need to download an x86 build of OpenJK or build it yourself. Install the files to GameData.
im on 18.04.1 Ubuntu. I already installed jedi academy on steam and it run perfectly with steam play, i have installed the mod as well: doesnt load the mod on launch or give me any options to load the mod in-game. How do i install openjk properly and get it to work with jedi academy. And under what directory is the ampgamei386.nopp.so file, as i cant seem to find it.
p.s. i am brand new to using linux

im on 18.04.1 Ubuntu. I already installed jedi academy on steam and it run perfectly with steam play, i have installed the mod as well: doesnt load the mod on launch or give me any options to load the mod in-game. How do i install openjk properly and get it to work with jedi academy. And under what directory is the ampgamei386.nopp.so file, as i cant seem to find it.
p.s. i am brand new to using linux
update: i got openjk to launch and run, no mod launch yet.

I got the mod to start through the setup section under mods in jedi academy, and hit load mod on MBII, but it crashes on launch and sends me back to the base game start sceen. Any work around?

got movie battles to launch via steam. when i play a match it says i must keep the launcher open while the game is running , but i dont have the launcher installed as previously stated. Any suggestions?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
got movie battles to launch via steam. when i play a match it says i must keep the launcher open while the game is running , but i dont have the launcher installed as previously stated. Any suggestions?
lol wtf
I told you you must forget about Wine and any other Linux emulators, and this message ("... keep launcher open!") only can be shown when Windows version of MBII is running.
Are you sure you have Linux, not Windows Jedi Academy installed?
Are you sure you have Linux, not Windows OpenJK installed?
How exactly do you're trying to run MBII/Jedi Academy? What exactly command you type in Linux console, what exactly file you do click?
Trying to launch any .exe files already means you're doing things wrong. .exe files are for Windows only, not for you. .exe files bad.

In fact, Movie Battles should be run fine using one of this command:
Code:
./mbii.i386 +set fs_game "MBII" 
./openjk.i386 +set fs_game "MBII"
I got the mod to start through the setup section under mods in jedi academy, and hit load mod on MBII, but it crashes on launch and sends me back to the base game start sceen. Any work around?
You shouldn't start Movie Battles that way, but it also shouldn't crush when it's launched via JA menu, it should only glitch.

Please post a screenshot of Steam page where it's said you bought and installed Jedi Academy.
Please post a screenshot of a folder where MBII is.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2

You shouldn't start Movie Battles that way, but it also shouldn't crush when it's launched via JA menu, it should only glitch.
I'm guessing it's because they didn't swap jampgamei386 with the nopp build. I would expect it to crash if that wasn't done.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I'm guessing it's because they didn't swap jampgamei386 with the nopp build. I would expect it to crash if that wasn't done.
I was going to address you statements in my previous post, but then I forgot about it.
What's the point of recommending doing something with jampgamei386 if, as I believe, it's only used for server hosting and not for client game?
Not sure about Linux, but on Windows jampgamex86.dll clearly isn't necessary to play.
Topicstarter didn't mentioned he wanted to host a server, so jampgamei386 isn't related to his issue whatsoever.

lol wtf
I told you you must forget about Wine and any other Linux emulators, and this message ("... keep launcher open!") only can be shown when Windows version of MBII is running.
How exactly do you're trying to run MBII/Jedi Academy? What exactly command you type in Linux console, what exactly file you do click?
Trying to launch any .exe files already means you're doing things wrong. .exe files are for Windows only, not for you. .exe files bad.

Code:

Please post a screenshot of Steam page where it's said you bought and installed Jedi Academy.
Screenshot_2019-12-01_14-57-59.png
Screenshot_2019-12-01_14-58-16.png

I was going to address you statements in my previous post, but then I forgot about it.
What's the point of recommending doing something with jampgamei386 if, as I believe, it's only used for server hosting and not for client game?
Not sure about Linux, but on Windows jampgamex86.dll clearly isn't necessary to play.
Topicstarter didn't mentioned he wanted to host a server, so jampgamei386 isn't related to his issue whatsoever.
lol wtf

Code:

I used the command and it did not launch.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
I wouldn't just assume someone isn't going to try self-hosting a game.

@BlazeItMikal Install an x86 build of OpenJK and use Play_MBII.sh in GameData (preferably from command line so you can see any errors). Install any missing dependencies if it complains about missing libraries. That's it.

Steam is irrelevant, you're not going to use it to start the game.

I wouldn't just assume someone isn't going to try self-hosting a game.

@BlazeItMikal Install an x86 build of OpenJK and use Play_MBII.sh in GameData (preferably from command line so you can see any errors). Install any missing dependencies if it complains about missing libraries. That's it.

Steam is irrelevant, you're not going to use it to start the game.
Ive tried the command that @Puppytime said to try. It did not launch for me. The result i got is in the screen shot below. Any suggestions?
Screenshot_2019-12-01_16-09-55.png

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
It's stating the file isn't there. That means you haven't installed openjk of the right version (guessing you got the 64 bit build or something).

EDIT: You need to run the shell command from GameData. You're running it from your home folder. Of course it won't work.