Gun Spread

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
So it bugs me a bit how the EE-3 is the only weapon to use progressive gun spread.

How about apply it to all weapons, even pistols, for constant, continued fire?

I think it should be variable depending on the weapon with pistols being affected the least.

Just would encourage more precision and less spray. The clone rifle needs this the most, in my opinion. Just doesn't seem fair to make only one weapon use it.

Preston

Nerd
I find p2 burst shot good, p3 burst shot bad. I'm not even sure if p3 burst shot's dmg is better than just doing a single shot with it.

P2 is awesome for nade soldier/ET, it allows you to quickly deal damage on knocked down opponents, something you couldn't do with charge shot.

Let's be honest, charge shots were hardly ever used too. In my experience people use burst shots slightly more.
I disagree, atleast where I play charged were used much more imo

Preston

Nerd
To me, the spread seems like a very cool mechanic and interesting thing to use. Yes, it makes the EE-3 unique where you can have very accurate shots while moving if you use fire discipline. But during an extensive fire fight the weapon has an extreme disadvantage. What weapons do people really blast full auto continuously, though? Clone rifle and E-11? Just make the spread be progressive by each shot fired, so high rate of fire weapons only really get the penalty. For the lower rate weapons it would still be there but you would have to be firing very extensively.

This could give more incentive for people to use say CR1 or wait between bursts of the DLT/A280.

Apply it to dual pistols and it gives incentive to switch to single fire mode. Do it on the P3 and it gives incentive to switch fire modes as well, waiting for the big shots when they count.

I don't mean make all guns as drastic as the EE-3 because that is quite a high RoF weapon. Just variable per weapon and how long it has been continuously firing. Such as the CR3 would spread out very quickly. CR2 would be about the same as the EE-3, E-11 secondary just less so.

Most people fire in smaller bursts anyway so this would only really affect those trying to make laser beams of blaster fire.

Not to mention it would discourage long range firefights in favor for mid to close range ones. Good thing for short rounds.
No no no no no plsno

To me, the spread seems like a very cool mechanic and interesting thing to use. Yes, it makes the EE-3 unique where you can have very accurate shots while moving if you use fire discipline. But during an extensive fire fight the weapon has an extreme disadvantage. What weapons do people really blast full auto continuously, though? Clone rifle and E-11? Just make the spread be progressive by each shot fired, so high rate of fire weapons only really get the penalty. For the lower rate weapons it would still be there but you would have to be firing very extensively.

This could give more incentive for people to use say CR1 or wait between bursts of the DLT/A280.

Apply it to dual pistols and it gives incentive to switch to single fire mode. Do it on the P3 and it gives incentive to switch fire modes as well, waiting for the big shots when they count.

I don't mean make all guns as drastic as the EE-3 because that is quite a high RoF weapon. Just variable per weapon and how long it has been continuously firing. Such as the CR3 would spread out very quickly. CR2 would be about the same as the EE-3, E-11 secondary just less so.

Most people fire in smaller bursts anyway so this would only really affect those trying to make laser beams of blaster fire.

Not to mention it would discourage long range firefights in favor for mid to close range ones. Good thing for short rounds.

Progressive gun spread doesn't make sense in the first place. Why would a gun all of a sudden become inaccurate while firing and all of a sudden become accurate after reloading? Is it overheating? Did you suddenly become drunk after firing 4 shots? Did your enemy all of a sudden equip a gold ring that gave them 10+ luck? This idea of progressive gun spread slows game play as players will spend more time reloading just to get accurate shots and penalizing them even though they are accurately homing in on their enemy. If someone aims a crosshair on their enemy, it should fire within that crosshair.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Progressive gun spread doesn't make sense in the first place. Why would a gun all of a sudden become inaccurate while firing and all of a sudden become accurate after reloading? Is it overheating? Did you suddenly become drunk after firing 4 shots? Did your enemy all of a sudden equip a gold ring that gave them 10+ luck? This idea of progressive gun spread slows game play as players will spend more time reloading just to get accurate shots and penalizing them even though they are accurately homing in on their enemy. If someone aims a crosshair on their enemy, it should fire within that crosshair.
Progressive gun spread does kind of makes sense as it sort of mimics recoil without moving the player's screen. The more you fire, the less accurate you are. I guess mandos are just inherently bad at correcting for recoil regardless of player input. Also, you don't have to reload for EE-3's accuracy to recover, and reloading doesn't speed up it's recovery either AFAIK. EE-3's accuracy recovers on it's own with time as long as you aren't firing.

Progressive gun spread does kind of makes sense as it sort of mimics recoil without moving the player's screen. The more you fire, the less accurate you are. I guess mandos are just inherently bad at correcting for recoil regardless of player input. Also, you don't have to reload for EE-3's accuracy to recover, and reloading doesn't speed up it's recovery either AFAIK. EE-3's accuracy recovers on it's own with time as long as you aren't firing.

The current spread just fires around the crosshair similar to a bulls eye target and the shot has less of chance of hitting your target the further you are away. If it was trying to replicate recoil, it would be after every shot and your gun will slowly aim up the longer you held the trigger. Firing does not have any effect on your reticle...the lasers just go in random directions. So, I wouldn't say it mimics recoil at all.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd

Is there a particular reason for recoil not moving the screen in the current system?

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Is there a particular reason for recoil not moving the screen in the current system?
Biggest reason is probably because there wasn't any recoil in base JKA. Also, most guns in Star Wars are usually portrayed as having very little, if any, recoil.

TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing proper recoil on one or two powerful guns as unique features for those guns. We need more guns with interesting unique mechanics that differentiate them from other guns, like EE-3 with progressive spread and M5 with clip reloads.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Biggest reason is probably because there wasn't any recoil in base JKA. Also, most guns in Star Wars are usually portrayed as having very little, if any, recoil.

TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing proper recoil on one or two powerful guns as unique features for those guns. We need more guns with interesting unique mechanics that differentiate them from other guns, like EE-3 with progressive spread and M5 with clip reloads.

Honestly recoil or spread shot should be standard. Fire rate is so much stronger than anything else in MB2, just look at Clone pistol and Arc Pistols, fire rate makes all the difference. One of my favorite 'screw around' things to do, is to use Gloan with P2, just for the fun challenge, but, in reality, you'd never get ANYTHING done with P2, even if you were the best player in the universe, against a competent person with CR3, you'd be dead. I think a long time ago I mentioned ease of use being a key factor in things being overpowered. Which is one of the reasons why people think cyan is overpowered and blue is balanced, even though blue is 10x better than cyan, cyan is easier.

The whole system, from sabering to gunplay needs a revamp, there are so many ways to do so. People don't like listening to my thousands of ideas, so perhaps someone else should think of something, eh?

Preston

Nerd
Honestly recoil or spread shot should be standard. Fire rate is so much stronger than anything else in MB2, just look at Clone pistol and Arc Pistols, fire rate makes all the difference. One of my favorite 'screw around' things to do, is to use Gloan with P2, just for the fun challenge, but, in reality, you'd never get ANYTHING done with P2, even if you were the best player in the universe, against a competent person with CR3, you'd be dead. I think a long time ago I mentioned ease of use being a key factor in things being overpowered. Which is one of the reasons why people think cyan is overpowered and blue is balanced, even though blue is 10x better than cyan, cyan is easier.

The whole system, from sabering to gunplay needs a revamp, there are so many ways to do so. People don't like listening to my thousands of ideas, so perhaps someone else should think of something, eh?
this is so.. untrue

This sounds like a mostly pointless change suggested by a player who focuses mostly on Mandalorian and these changes would be catastrophic to certain classes like sold & elite trooper/comm.

The EE-3 does not need to be made better, it's already good enough when fired in short bursts and is a fucking god gun when in the hands of a good Mando alongside the level 3 upgrade to turn it into a 'quickscope rifle' capable of one shotting almost every class with upper torso/head hits, does like 150 damage.

If you want a rapid fire weapon for close quarters and mid range, that's the Westar pistols, the EE-3 is more of a battle rifle & designated marksman rifle, it gives the mando range at the cost of being no where near as efficient in close combat as say an E-11, it's not bad and can win in fights but low rate of fire and accuracy degradation means that it is limited to a role, almost like every other gun in the game.

But saying that, I'd be fine with the removal of the spread from the Mando's rifle if they also remove the ability to fire twice in scope mode & disable the ability to fire on the move with it. No?, thought not, there is no Mando player (bar the inexperienced) in the game who would rather have CQB ability over his goddamn quickscope rifle.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
This sounds like a mostly pointless change suggested by a player who focuses mostly on Mandalorian and these changes would be catastrophic to certain classes like sold & elite trooper/comm.

The EE-3 does not need to be made better, it's already good enough when fired in short bursts and is a fucking god gun when in the hands of a good Mando alongside the level 3 upgrade to turn it into a 'quickscope rifle' capable of one shotting almost every class with upper torso/head hits, does like 150 damage.

If you want a rapid fire weapon for close quarters and mid range, that's the Westar pistols, the EE-3 is more of a battle rifle & designated marksman rifle, it gives the mando range at the cost of being no where near as efficient in close combat as say an E-11, it's not bad and can win in fights but low rate of fire and accuracy degradation means that it is limited to a role, almost like every other gun in the game.

But saying that, I'd be fine with the removal of the spread from the Mando's rifle if they also remove the ability to fire twice in scope mode & disable the ability to fire on the move with it. No?, thought not, there is no Mando player (bar the inexperienced) in the game who would rather have CQB ability over his goddamn quickscope rifle.
Man you don't get this thread at all. I like the mechanic and think it should be applied to other weapons, too.

Like @StarWarsGeek said the whole thing is made to mimic recoil. I mean that already kind of happens when you run while shooting rather than walking but it is pretty rough around the edges. The way the EE-3 works is a good thing. Good things should be "spread." (haha)

Man you don't get this thread at all. I like the mechanic and think it should be applied to other weapons, too.

Like @StarWarsGeek said the whole thing is made to mimic recoil. I mean that already kind of happens when you run while shooting rather than walking but it is pretty rough around the edges. The way the EE-3 works is a good thing. Good things should be "spread." (haha)

I don't like the mechanic and think it should be avoided from other weapons, it fits the EE-3 because that weapon is a battle rifle, not using it with a sniper scope is basically not using the weapon properly, it can fight in close quarters but that gun is essentially a quickscope rifle and as a result is not as good in close combat as other weapons. This mechanic should be avoided on guns where the primary purpose is not to provide accurate, high damage and long range fire.

Mimic recoil? regardless that lasers are pretty much incapable of providing recoil, this mechanic does not add any additional elements that increase the skill requirements or introduce interesting gameplay, it'd artificially extend firefights by making people miss more but would not really add anything to the game, except of course making the EE-3 more powerful now that other weapons are unable to use their rate of fire advantage over the EE-3's damage.

Horrible idea. This would buff average gunners.

People mis-aim, especially up close. Giving it this spread - actually increases the chances for an average gunner to hit their target.
One of the most painful things to watch is a gunner(teammate of course) consistently miss...but miss stupidly even more. Where they don't lead, but actually follow...with the crosshair:(

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
The only gun I really feel needs some kind of sustained fire accuracy debuff is the clone rifle but if thought about in the right way could be applied to pretty much any gun, albeit in a variable instance. Making them all the same as the EE-3 is a bad idea.