•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Game crashes on map change

As the title says, each time a server changes the map, my game closes. Then I get a Crash Log in my GameData folder. The last Crash Log of this kind I've got can be found in the attachment of this post. I'm running Windows 7 32-bit.

Attachments

• Crash Log.zip
    615 bytes · Views: 214
Reactions: ent

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
64-bit Win10 here, it's been happening since I updated to 1.4 (could have been 1.3 causing it, though - I skipped a version). I find that sometimes the crash will fail to occur if some or all of the following conditions are met:

1. There aren't a lot of people in the server.
2. There has only been a fairly low amount of rounds played, and/or the map being played is a very small one.

A notable instance of what I just described occurred in an FA server in 1.4.2. After a few rounds in SaBH, my younger brother (who doesn't experience this, using the Steam client rather than OpenJK) and I switched to CMP_Vengeance for a few more rounds when another player joined. We played maybe one or two rounds in the DotF duel, and I think I crashed on the next map change, assuming I hadn't left already.

There have also been instances where the crash will occur without a map change. Apparent causes are as follows:

1. There's a lot of people in the server.
2. A lot of rounds (20+, by my estimates) have elapsed since I joined.
3(?). The map is a decently-sized one - my tendency to stick to DotF servers because they don't change maps hasn't completely averted the issue, but it has certainly mitigated it by a substantial margin.

I have the same problem and it's frustrating. Every 1-3 times the map changes it just cuts to black then crashes. Really frustrating because since my game closed, it deletes all the recent data of the maps so whenever i go to a new map it takes like 2 minutes to load, instead of like 20 seconds because i've been playing.

DaloLorn

Mine doesn't cut to black - it either just skips to the 'crash to desktop' stage or freezes on the loading screen and waits for me to tell Windows to kill it.

DaloLorn

Unfortunately, it's pretty generic stuff - I don't think it'll be much use. (Edit: On second thought, it does have a teeny tiny stack trace and the name of the module that's causing the crashes, so... maybe? *shrugs*)

I've uploaded a whole bunch of crash logs that have accumulated since I last purged them - 38 of them might be a little overkill, but...

Attachments

• Crash Logs.zip
    22.1 KB · Views: 192

ent

Movie Battles II Team
We made an inner patch and gonna test it this weekend, but sending crashlogs would still be nice.

Here are more crash logs if you need them. These are all the crash logs that exist in my GameData folder. Note that some of them may not be the map change crashes, but most of them certainly are.

Attachments

• Crash Logs.zip
    44.8 KB · Views: 213

DaloLorn

Uhh, new log, this one's a little fatter than most.

From what I remember (it happened yesterday, so bear with me :p), I was in the middle of a DotF game (as noted above, the issue will sometimes occur if I've been playing too long) when suddenly the game went black and terminated itself. Usually it just freezes up, making me bring up the typical 'X is not responding, kill it?' prompt and then completely blocking any attempt at switching focus from the dead client for up to 30 seconds before Windows finally manages to get it out of my way.

(On another note, I have no idea why .log files aren't allowed by the uploader. They're just a renamed .txt in this case.)

Attachments

• crash_log_2016-11-11_20-20-01.log.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 203
Here are more crash logs. I also noticed that the crashes also happen when you try to play a demo after you've played one already before and you haven't restarted the game before playing the second one.

Attachments

• Crash Logs 2.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Okay, let's continue.
Being in game, just before map change, could you check what value is set to "ui_siegeInfo"?
That cvar seems to be hidden, so the console won't autocomplete it.
Once it prints the value, do "condump out.txt". Find that file either in MBII or in base folder and send me, please.
Oh and do that if you get the crash afterward. If it doesn't crash then keep repeating those operations until it gets crashed.

Last edited:

DaloLorn

Seeing as map changes can be a bit abrupt at times, I'm not too sure about managing the first part... I'll give it a shot, though.

(Would a keybind work?)

DaloLorn

It seemed to be set to the default from the moment I joined to the moment the map changed.

Attachments

• out.txt
    27.1 KB · Views: 239

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Hey, could you also send a demo that you get before the crash?
You will prolly want to use autorecording feature.
Oh and the crash happens when the new map started loading or before that?

DaloLorn

Okay, got a demo. The cvar you wanted me to check was default again.

The .zip was too large, so I put it in a .7z instead. (Then I renamed it to a .zip because the attachment uploader doesn't allow .7z...)

Attachments

• LastDemo.7z.zip
    891.6 KB · Views: 217