Frenzy's 4:30AM ideas for melee changes

FrenzY

Chaos Connoisseur
Movie Battles II Team
I was going to post this in the dev area, but I decided it may be best to post here and see what you guys think about some of these proposed melee changes. I'd be interested in hearing what other melee-related ideas you may have as well!

General:
  • Switching to melee and holding block directly over a conc/frag nade absorbs 50% of damage for nearby teammates.
  • Kicks allowed mid-air (look at jedi/sith as example)
  • All classes (excluding Deka and SBD) can now roll getup if in melee.

Soldier:
  • Close Combat 2 added - Allows for Funbash, rolling side getups in melee and ET knockdown recovery. - 6 points
    • Yes, I said Funbash, not Gunbash.

ET/Commander:
  • Close Combat 1 Added - Allows for Fun Gunbash and rolling getups in melee - 4 points

Mando:
  • New: Beskar Armor added - 18ish points
    • 50% damage reduction to melee
    • Saber damage reduced by 50%
    • Ignores blob and secondary nade knockback.
    • Plays a different bodyhit sound when hit.
  • Mandos without Jetpack now have melee and speed perks:
    • Runs at Hero speed
    • Can roll to quickly get-up
    • Quick getup (spacebar) if in melee.
  • Mandos knocked down in melee may now use forward and backwards kick getups
  • Uppercuts now can be used while flying - causes 15 damage and staggers if saberist is blocking.
  • Flying kicks have a knockback multiplier depending on how fast the mando is flying towards them.

ARC:
  • Can do Jedi flipkicks (as seen in some Legends classes like Thrawn, or as seen in base) with Dexterity 3
  • Can use quick getup in melee!
  • Can roll to get-up (except when holding PLX)

Wook:
  • Can pick up dead bodies and hurl them at opponents.
    • This is why I shouldn't post things at 4:30AM ;D

Last edited:
I think, Victin, your concerns can be met with proper point restrictions. Make it so Beskar, Flamethrower, and Jetpack are too expensive to have at the same time.

I think having 3 unique builds (Melee, Sniper, Soldier) for Mando would do the class justice - especially since Mandalorian is what's keeping Star Wars alive right now, a little homage is well deserved.

I might even suggest adding the Beskar Spear or Dark Saber to the Mando Melee build, so long as they can't afford much else.

Melee Mando

Internal Beta Team
100/100 Mandos already have a good chance of tanking a yellow swing, unless that was changed recently.

Mandos can't tank any yellow hits nor have they ever been able to, to my knowledge. With full health/armor they can survive a single swing from blue or cyan.

Make it so Beskar, Flamethrower, and Jetpack are too expensive to have at the same time.

Those three things alone don't seem too bad, just make it so they can't afford a level 3 weapon on top of it.

About mechanic visibility, maybe Beskar armor could be implemented as some sort of bulky shoulder and chest pieces on the mando when in use?

Correct me if I'm wrong but corpse throwing doesn't sound like it'd be possible to implement cleanly. Corpses can be in different spots depending on the client, their position is not determined server side. For example a corpse can block a grenade from bouncing forward, but the same corpse can be two meters off to the side for another player, so in their eyes the grenade just stops suddenly to nothing on the ground.

UNLESS this has been completely changed at some point when I wasn't aware. Anyway, possible issues with this could be something like a wookiee throwing absolutely nothing at you and you get wrecked by it, or the corpse flying but from the wrong spot to the wrong spot, causing no hit to happen in the first place, is the impression I have based on what I know about MBII corpses.

Melee Mando

Internal Beta Team
About mechanic visibility, maybe Beskar armor could be implemented as some sort of bulky shoulder and chest pieces on the mando when in use?

Keep in mind these would probably need to look different per model, which I'm sure would be a pain to do, or some kind of universal over-armor which I think would more than likely end up looking bad. Hit sounds and bolts deflecting are probably enough of a visual. This would be far from the first example of this, it's not like you can tell what health, firepower, armor, strength, etc most classes have just at a glance.

Corpses can be in different spots depending on the client, their position is not determined server side.

I did some testing on this the other night actually, turns out corpses do occupy the same space for the most part. Their positioning can vary slightly between clients depending on if the players have ragdolls enabled and what their broadsword value is set to, but they do more or less sit on the same spot on the ground. Even then though, implementing corpse throwing does sound pretty tough lol

Keep in mind these would probably need to look different per model, which I'm sure would be a pain to do, or some kind of universal over-armor which I think would more than likely end up looking bad. Hit sounds and bolts deflecting are probably enough of a visual. This would be far from the first example of this, it's not like you can tell what health, firepower, armor, strength, etc most classes have just at a glance.

Fair enough. Unless someone designed something that would be distinguishable and look good on all mando models. Of course the next issue is people using custom models and the extra pieces not looking very good on those.

Victin Halcyon

Donator
Mandos can't tank any yellow hits nor have they ever been able to, to my knowledge. With full health/armor they can survive a single swing from blue or cyan.

Those three things alone don't seem too bad, just make it so they can't afford a level 3 weapon on top of it.

I don't know why, but I have a fuzzy memory of this happening a non-negligible amount with yellow swings "back in the day," but you may be right. At any rate, I agree it'd be fine to have all those things without a fully-leveled primary weapon. Makes the emphasis more on "gadget-Mando."