Flinch > barely functional knockback

I miss flinch, I miss being able to stand toe to toe with saberists. Now it's just a hot mess of "jump swing every time, can't knock me back in the air electric boogaloo"

Changing flinch to knockback was a bad call and all it did was teach every saberist to mindlessly jumpswing over and over.

I used to be able to weed out the bad saberists with my blaster rifle because they would never get close, but now any moron with a glow stick can kill a gunner by reflexively jumpswinging ad nauseum.

Not to mention saberists damage reduction or that FP drains are laughably too low.

Eazy E

Banned
I miss flinch, I miss being able to stand toe to toe with saberists. Now it's just a hot mess of "jump swing every time, can't knock me back in the air electric boogaloo"

Changing flinch to knockback was a bad call and all it did was teach every saberist to mindlessly jumpswing over and over.

I used to be able to weed out the bad saberists with my blaster rifle because they would never get close, but now any moron with a glow stick can kill a gunner by reflexively jumpswinging ad nauseum.

Not to mention saberists damage reduction or that FP drains are laughably too low.
They didn't change flinch to knockback.

They changed knockback (which had been in the game for as long as I can remember) to flinch and then changed it back after having flinch for a few years and realising everyone hated it.

If someone jumps at you and tries to swing just charge a shot and fire it off at their heads. If they're SBing they'll take huge FP loss. If not they'll probably die or have little HP left. If you can't do that then your aim sucks.

It must suck being a dev and trying to figure out what people want. Besides ez winning, of course.

Last edited:
Flinch made even me stop playing the game for a very long time. Jumpswingers are easy targets, they can't avoid your fire, and if they're gonna swing and you know it, it's the perfect opportunity to move back and shoot them down, they can't use push mid-swing.

The only win over knockback I would give flinch is predictability, sure sometimes you die in knockback system where you could have timed a shot well in flinch and survived, but overall the knockback system with appropriate drains is a lot fairer for both gunner and saberist.

Kodar

Internal Beta Team
Ah yes, the flinch system that was super fair to gunners. I remember the days of saberists tanking multiple shots in my face and side-stepping with a random halfswing off a blaster shot and insta-killing me. That sure was fun.

For the love of God, never bring back flinch. Knockback, even if it requires more tweaking and love, is better overall.
Flinch legit just encouraged taping down W key and mouse 1 for saberists and rewarded it outright.

I never liked Flinch when it was around. Like , knock back is OK and better than having flinch but how do you expect to kill a gunner with a fast firing blaster? or even 2 of them? you'll be stuck in a flinch lock while losing your FP doing your auto deflect and die.
(tbh some blasters need their knockback fixed a bit like Cr2 can make you go flying if you get shot twice)

With knock back you can still swing while flying back words and I've seen funny moments from that but you still have a chance to fight back.

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
IMO as long as ariel knockback for swingblocking/blocking saberists is nudged up a tiny bit, it's fine as is. For some reason if you don't do HP damage, jumpswings have low knockback values, but otherwise given that slow-firing guns (P3, T-21 primary, etc) can outright onetap jedi on headshots to balance their slow fire rate, and fast guns (E11 secondary, clone rifle, etc) reward consecutive facehug shots with pretty much total immunity, it's pretty nice right now.

I believe in the patch notes, it was listed that knockback values for jumping saberists was fixed. It's very inconsistent on when it wants to work, sometimes I get shot mid air doing a swing and I don't get knocked back at all and kill the gunner (even good gunners at that) other times I get launched to the moon and floated.

Focus on the consistency of the knockback, it's a lot better than flinch because it allows the gunner to distance himself without running away excessively opening themselves up to an easy push/pull (as distancing is their main priority because le insta-gib lightsaber). It also allows weapons such as p3 to hold it's ground because with flinch there was no knockback, all it did was stop swings and the saberist could retain it's close proximity with no punishment.

ok but when is knockback being removed on gunners? its fairly silly getting a headshot on a bh and sending him halfway down main on deathstar

knockback needs to be increased by 100% to allow the small mb2 speedrunning community to flourish also add back strafe jumping and bunnyhopping please incompetent devs gosh

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
So when you couldn't prevent them from getting close because FP drains were basically non-existent? When they could swing probably 7-8 times at you while you had to hit every single shot while they were in your face to avoid death?

You mean the DR that got reduced along with the FP drains that got increased with knockback to the point that you can actually drain FP now?

It really confuses me how people have things so backwards some times. Also, I'll mention that the knockback that gives gunners enough space to actually survive at close range (when they're maneuvering decently) triggers in the same circumstances that flinch does.

Last edited: