Droideka Change

First off, droidekas suck. Really badly. Especially against jedi. All I propose is one simple change:

Give deka discharge by default, without having to buy it, and then let the deka pick between quick deploy and power management. Just this change alone would be enough to allow deka to have a chance against jedi, and still be able to use power management or quick deploy.

EDIT: Also, advanced logic 1 is useless.

Last edited:
Yet by far the best build for deka makes it not a turret at all. Shield projector 3 + Shield strengh 2 + Firepower 3 + power management = a pretty mobile self-sustaining ball of death with an insane amount of shields to spare

Mobile? Good luck rolling away from dangerous situations with 200 hp.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Mobile? Good luck rolling away from dangerous situations with 200 hp.
You don't need to roll away, you can just walk away with your shields up while pumping all your ammo into your shields. That build makes you nearly invulnerable to gunfire at all times unless you've been pulsed, ioned, or severely outnumbered.

You don't need to roll away, you can just walk away with your shields up while pumping all your ammo into your shields. That build makes you nearly invulnerable to gunfire at all times unless you've been pulsed, ioned, or severely outnumbered.
a 500 shield PM is barely enough to get away from 2v1. So no, you can't safely walk away.

Was just playing as deka last night with the build Liniyka suggested, it's decent, you can recharge much more of your shield and fire longer, but I still got decimated by gunners and jedi could easily work around me or sneak up behind and kill me.

The fact is, deka is such a big target and easy to hit, and can't do much to avoid shots. At the same time, if the shield is too strong, 1v1 would make it EXTREMELY OP. But again, that's why I suggested giving discharge as default. 3/4 of my deaths were from a jedi sneaking around and killing me and there was nothing I could do. I can't just turn around and check all the time, that takes too long.

Guys, deka is completely broken since v0. It was broken before, but in a good way. Now it's basically unplayable if at least one or two good players will be playing against it.

Deka has not one, but two classes which completely denies every enthusiast, even a very good one. And I am not even talking about jedi, who will prevail in ~99% 1 v 1.Pulses and ions are just too damn strong for deka. It works okay on SBD, I guess, but not on deka.

In movies we saw strong dekas. Terrifying even. In EU even more terrifying. Earlier deka was broken in a way being of a bit too OP. But what class isn't OP in 1 vs 1 with right circumstances? And now it's broken in a way of being useless class.

Last edited:
Guys, deka is completely broken since v0. It was broken before, but in a good way. Now it's basically unplayable if at least one or two good players will be playing against it.

Deka has not one, but two classes which completely denies every enthusiast, even a very good one. And I am not even talking about jedi, who will prevail in ~99% 1 v 1.Pulses and ions are just too damn strong for deka. It works okay on SBD, I guess, but not on deka.

In movies we saw strong dekas. Terrifying even. In EU even more terrifying. Earlier deka was broken in a way being of a bit too OP. But what class isn't OP in 1 vs 1 with right circumstances? And now it's broken in a way of being useless class.

Pulses and ions are not the problem. Jedis are. For a class that is supposed to be a jedi destroyer it's almost an instant death against jedis. When i see a wook as a sith i am scared. But when i see a deka as a jedi i just see it as a free frag. Even with discharge i have the advantage.

Pulses and ions are not the problem. Jedis are. For a class that is supposed to be a jedi destroyer it's almost an instant death against jedis. When i see a wook as a sith i am scared. But when i see a deka as a jedi i just see it as a free frag. Even with discharge i have the advantage.
That's the biggest issue. I feel it's fair when I get gang banged by several clones, but when one jedi runs right up into my face while using fire power level 3, hit him a few times and he still kills me? THATS BS!

If jedi are the problem, then maybe we should, as I suggested, give dekas their old FP drains back?

A very simple and a good fix without making deka op against jedis. But instead of fixing this we should just change sabering system for the 1500th time.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Bumping this thread cuz it has some good discussion of Deka already.

Chipping in my off-the-wall idea about how to adjust Deka:
1. Reduce shield strength (per-level, for all levels, perhaps capping at 400 or even lower.) (Maybe even have shield strength cap at 200-300 and significantly increase hull strength instead.)
2. Reduce rollspeed (it's too dang fast)
3. Allow all currently conflicting perks (QD, PM, SD) to be bought at once, and perhaps decrease their costs. Move Shield Discharge input to Class Special 2.

Result: Less dramatic, more versatile deka. Worse at hard countering but maintains all its unique soft-counter roles in terms of suppression, flanking, and discharge. Still unique, still powerful, less annoying.

Dream bonus idea: Sniper deka variant, switches gun properties significantly, and also changes the model (and animations, I suppose, so it'd be a lot of work). Makes deka worse at suppression but better at precision damage. Perhaps the sniper weapon could be charged by using shield energy, although with power management being cheap that wouldn't be any different from charging sniper with ammo. Prices could all be tweaked to get the right balance.

Bumping this thread cuz it has some good discussion of Deka already.

Chipping in my off-the-wall idea about how to adjust Deka:
1. Reduce shield strength (per-level, for all levels, perhaps capping at 500 or even lower).
2. Reduce rollspeed (it's too dang fast)
3. Allow all currently conflicting perks (QD, PM, SD) to be bought at once, and perhaps decrease their costs. Move Shield Discharge input to Class Special 2.

Result: Less dramatic, more versatile deka. Worse at hard countering but maintains all its unique soft-counter roles in terms of suppression, flanking, and discharge.
Remove power management

As an absolute one-shot ez rebalance this has some appeal, since power management is bananas, but it'd be much better to instead rebalance it.

Remove Deka.

You shouldn’t be able to roll around dodging almost everything.
Also aiming and movement are both extremely clunky. At least from my experiences.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
You shouldn’t be able to roll around dodging almost everything.
Agreed, that's why my suggestion included reducing rollspeed.
Also aiming and movement are both extremely clunky.
Yeah, and deploy/undeploy can be really... laggy, or something. Unreliable. I assume the code for deka is fairly hellish, and think it's remarkable that it works as well as it does, but if possible I'd definitely like it all to work more smoothly.

Agreed, that's why my suggestion included reducing rollspeed.

Yeah, and deploy/undeploy can be really... laggy, or something. Unreliable. I assume the code for deka is fairly hellish, and think it's remarkable that it works as well as it does, but if possible I'd definitely like it all to work more smoothly.
From what I gather/remember it's mostly because rolling mode turns the deka into a vehicule (like tautaun and other ingame silly things), and I'm guessing the trigger to change the behaviour coupled with the animation and the timer+ the whole online aspect of things (I can't recall how the data is managed, I'm pretty sure it's mostly server side). So that would explain the issues.

Also the worst part with the deka is rolling mode is that it doesn't have any song from the Initial D OST playing while you roll around.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
From what I gather/remember it's mostly because rolling mode turns the deka into a vehicule (like tautaun and other ingame silly things), and I'm guessing the trigger to change the behaviour coupled with the animation and the timer+ the whole online aspect of things (I can't recall how the data is managed, I'm pretty sure it's mostly server side). So that would explain the issues.
My understanding is that Deka itself is a vehicle, possibly you spawn as a generic Kyle inhabiting a Deka vehicle. I was thinking that maybe vehicles are more server-side, as you said, resulting in the gunky feeling of everything about deka. I wonder if it's even possible to implement deka as a character instead of a vehicle, tho.

I agree with almost everyone here.
Deka is extremely situational, and just a big clunky mess.
I think if they rehauled deka, and made it so that there isn't that stupid delay on the aiming and shooting, just make it be a regular gunner would be cool. If you slowed down the roll speed by half, gave it a more stable aiming and shooting system, more fp drain, and changed a few stats, It could be a reliable fun class to play.

The biggest problem for me is the fact that pulse grenades are specifically made just for a deka/sbd. No other class in the game has something that's specifically made to kill a certain class. Bounty Hunters don't get a special grenade that SPECIFICALLY does more damage to jedi, or heros dont get a special gun that SPECIFICALLY does more damage to mandalorians.
What I'm saying is that I don't like the fact that the only reason someone should be carrying a pulse grenade is to kill a deka (or sbd). That's just too situational and rock-paper-sciscor to me.

From what I gather/remember it's mostly because rolling mode turns the deka into a vehicule (like tautaun and other ingame silly things),

Also the worst part with the deka is rolling mode
What muscbodypillow said also perfectly suits why I depise deka. Most deka players always seem to just roll around the enemy team and dekas are so frustratingly fast that it turns into this dumb game of chicken where 5 saberists are swinging their lightsabers like maniacs hoping to hit this deka rolling around at mach-10 speed.