Downtime, Cause and Consequences

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are back again after almost two weeks of vanishing from the Internet. You have probably noticed that everything is different – the domain, the site, the forums. Given all that has happened the team believes the community should know the full story, so please read on.

Our State
Before the full explanation, here are the facts. We have likely lost the following forever:
  • Forums (both the original and most recent)
  • Wiki
  • Some of the backend configuration and content
  • Bug tracker and project management data
Here is what was mostly recovered / may be recoverable later:
  • Source code
  • Assets (previous revisions lost)
  • Parts of the website
  • moviebattles2.com domain (may take weeks)
The Cause
Internally within the team there was the need to do something about the server hosting. Sxx, having retired, did not wish to be involved in this anymore. He had (and still has) ownership of the old domain and server hosting all of the development, site, and forum content. The discussions surrounding this began around March-April (with the old forums being gone it is impossible to verify the exact time).

The only people with both the technical background and trusted access to make this happen were largely not available for many months after Sxx stated his desire to transfer hosting. For significant real life reasons. The topic was placed on the backburner until the issue was forced in September. Payment for the servers over this period went through Sxx’s Paypal account, but the funding was provided by members of the team and the community.

At the beginning of September Sxx made a clear deadline for this server transfer (he had withdrawn payment information from the server hosting after the month’s expenses were paid, so the servers would be shutdown in October). Due to this LoU began the process of making a backup of everything on the evening of the 13th.

Before the backup could complete, all access to the servers and domain were cut off. At first there was a great deal of confusion within the team as nothing should have expired at this point. Why would everything fail at once, both the domain’s configuration and server access? Within a few days we learned from the server provider that access to the Internet had been purposefully cut off at the server side. The only person with the capability of doing this was Sxx.

Needless to say this was unexpected. Before this was learned various team members had attempted to contact Sxx to learn what the situation with the hosting was. These attempts at contact (with a few exceptions) were answered by blocking the individual.

Before we learned the cause, GoodOl’Ben did get one response. Basically a rant stating how Sxx had warned people about needing to move hosting, that anyone could have taken care of the transferring before, and feeling harassed at the messaging asking why the site was down.

Later after learning the cause for the site being down, LoU tried confronting Sxx about it. He requested an explanation and at the very least the chance to backup the data. Sxx’s only response was for LoU to “go fuck himself”.

The Consequences
With communication having broken down, the team was left with whatever had been backed up outside of Sxx’s control (site backups were regularly made to another server, but Sxx owns this as well). What we have left is listed in the previous section. Since Sxx had the hosting and everything else in his name, we have no way of directly recovering the data from the provider unless Sxx permits access again. We do not consider this a likely possibility given recent behavior.

At this point the amount of damage Sxx has done to the Movie Battles project cannot be understated. This kind of betrayal of the community’s trust is unprecedented. Over a decade of history and a lot of effort from the past year has been lost. Despite all of that, Movie Battles development can and will still continue. We will not allow the selfish actions of one individual to destroy the project and tarnish its legacy.

Ultimately the responsibility for this failure falls to the team. For that we offer our sincerest apology to everyone in the community. Those of us who remain to lead are doing what we can to rebuild. For the new site and development, we are learning from this mistake and making changes to ensure no individual has enough control to shut down the entire project on a whim. Not much of a consolation after the fact, but that is the best way we can make the promise that something like this will never happen again.

The Future
Focusing on the current game, we will be releasing an update to the launcher soon. This will require a manual download and install as the auto update mechanism was broken with loss of control over the old domain. This launcher update will then install an updated MBII release to fix the in-game server browser. Please watch for an announcement regarding this.

Regarding the forums and site, this is still a work in progress. Parts may be missing for a little while. The forum style is still incomplete. Please be patient while this is all addressed in the coming weeks.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Everyone needs to take a step back and calm down. This thread was posted to inform the community of the changes that had taken place, which resulted in downtime that interrupted the flow of development. Those people flaming, disguised as opinionated responses to what had occurred, are telling us nothing we don't already know.

Opinions are well and good, but do it intelligently, not like a bunch of kindergartners upset after their tub of paste was taken away from them. Just because it was left on the table doesn't mean you should eat it.

dyl

mb2 is up to date but i cant find any servers? i even try refreshing in jkja but no avail. What gives

Supa

The Serial Stacker
mb2 is up to date but i cant find any servers? i even try refreshing in jkja but no avail. What gives
There is a fix out for the master server list that you can find and download here.

If the fix doesn't work, you can try following this thread.

I'm late but damn, really sorry to hear about this :(. I put "moviebattles2" into google and it only returned the original domain which was down of course, I thought it was all over before I found this new one (I like this forum by the way).

MB2's history might be destroyed, but at least we'll always remember how to make stuffed rolled meat.

After 5 years when i last time played there was and there wont be a game to rival Mb - Mb >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.................................. bf3

Yes i know my english is bad :D

i believe im not gonna be playing again until that launcher update also if so i may not i have a job to do.

While I haven't been playing mb2 as long as other people have, could I help by sending the launcher files that I downloaded before the crash?

Partizan

Banned
Java script error server not responded in time
WTF is that.
This forum is lagging shit. I have to wait half a minute to post\edit anything. Old one was x10 times faster and better. I suppose I'll just stop using this shit, because it sucks.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
WTF is that.
This forum is lagging shit. I have to wait half a minute to post\edit anything. Old one was x10 times faster and better. I suppose I'll just stop using this shit, because it sucks.
Never had problems with these forums

Partizan

Banned
I can report the same problems. Yesterday evening it took like 30 secs to load.
Orly ? I thought those *hurted bastards just checked "unwanted user" tag on me, because this shitforum-engine allows that too.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
The function you're thinking of is "Discouraging", which doesn't affect your connection to the forums, just what you can do on them; as far as I can tell we rarely use that, because the members that are banned usually don't come back. In any case, we'll look into any connection issues. We may have been doing maintenance or something at the time you were having issues.

Just for the fun sake: I've had problems with the connection since the new forum came up.
When I'm not logged in the website is fast as any other for me but when i login into my account here, every page takes like 4 years to load up.
I often even have to make 50 tabs open so that if im lucky one loads up.
Not that is a big deal, since i don't use the forum so much anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.