"Darth Maul Has Never Looked Better" Fan Movie

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
When it comes to lightsaber choreography the following ones are pretty much the best there is.

Of course these can't even be called short fan-made films, they are just lightsaber combat videos; yet the quality of the filming and the music editing as well as effects editing (and of course of the combat acting) more than matches that of an actual professionally-made movie.

No costumes, no plot, nothing, sure. But the quality, the choreography ? I'll enjoy that more than anything else, anyday. Like we say in MBII, gameplay > realism.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Wow, what a great movie! Not even sure can we called "fan-made", since looks like they had some meaningful budget for a production.
Film is very eye-candy, saber fightings are intensive and entertaining, and no cons can overshadow the pros.
Though some things are not very logical: like in many movies, when multiple opponents attack one character, they do it by rotation, not simultaneously, making surviving of lonely fighter much easier.
And that girl, during entire film she looks scared and noobish, running away, but suddenly get changed and decided to take a stand?...
But still, it's very good.
Not bad, but have some major problems.
The most important is a sound: it's so messy that I'm not even sure that it isn't problem on my side. @Razi. already mentioned audio, but I've checked some comments on youtube and didn't see people complaining... What it was for you guys? Because it's very strange they've released the movie having sound so screwed o_O
Actually, the best swordfight I've ever seen in SW fan movie was present here:

Albeit I must warn you, it is most... unusual SW short film ever ;)
o_O it's pretty weird, or maybe I'm just too retarded to understand it... but looks more like an art house to me.
And saber fight definitely isn't better than Ryan vs Dorkman, for example. Too many swings of attacker are aimed to defender's saber, not to body; seems they just aren't trying to kill each other, even if there wouldn't be a blocking saber on the way, attacking saber would just hit air anyway.
When it comes to lightsaber choreography the following ones are pretty much the best there is.

Of course these can't even be called short fan-made films, they are just lightsaber combat videos; yet the quality of the filming and the music editing as well as effects editing (and of course of the combat acting) more than matches that of an actual professionally-made movie.

No costumes, no plot, nothing, sure. But the quality, the choreography ? I'll enjoy that more than anything else, anyday. Like we say in MBII, gameplay > realism.
Yeah, that's a real classic.

Related thread:
Star Wars Fan Film Thread | Movie Battles II Community

PS: Is it normal that I got a boner for that twi'lek girl?... xD

Last edited:

Cat Lady

o_O it's pretty weird, or maybe I'm just too retarded to understand it...

No worries, same feelings here ;) But I really enjoyed the saber fighting there, especially in the 2nd part.

Albeit, ironically, very soon after writing that comment I actually discovered SW fan movie that overshadowed it all - including saber fights, in my opinion. No idea how I could have missed it earlier, but it is even better than the old classics like Revelation or Reign of the Fallen:
The abslutely best SW fan movie (that you've probably missed) | Movie Battles II Community

(Yes, I know I've posted about it in its own thread, so just dropping link here, in case someone have missed it).

Now I officially want Italians to direct new SW saga ;)

/Cat Lady

Puppy's given us food for though :D By audio problems i meant not that the sound of the effects or the music are bad, I meant that in some scenes you couldn't hear what they were saying pretty good because of some of the sounds of the effects or the music being a bit too loud or the actors' microphones not being loud enough.
Also, I do agree with the sabering stuff - Ryan vs Dorkman fight is amazing. I've yet to see the little movies the Kitty Lady has posted ;p

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
By audio problems i meant not that the sound of the effects or the music are bad, I meant that in some scenes you couldn't hear what they were saying pretty good because of some of the sounds of the effects or the music being a bit too loud or the actors' microphones not being loud enough.
That's exactly what I mean, sound is so quiet that I was forced to increase system-wide volume to the maximum, not just player's volume, but some sounds and/or music are much loader so I was changing volume during whole movie. That was annoying indeed.

It's really strange they let film go just in this way. I mean they spend some time, money and efforts for an equipment, make up, they had nice costumes etc, whole thing looks high quality, but audio didn't get attention at all?
Just adjust volume level for the whole movie ffs. And why there are no walls of comments about sound on youtube? It's unexplainable o_O

Last edited:
It's a problem they might have noticed at the end, when the thing was finished. And if that was the case, they probably were tired and didn't have resources left to tidy up or they just let it slide because "fan-made" could get away with a lot.
Also, not sure why there are no comments about it. Lots of people don't look into details or focus on deep reviews on movies/shorts. They just enjoy the experience without much though going into it and, of course, that's not a bad thing.

Simply amazing. SW7 duel between Kylo and Rey looks like fan parody after THIS movie...
Maul is so cute when angry but I really hoped that he did't kill her in the end :eek:

Cat Lady

Someone watch this and tell me if its any good:)

I actually know this one. Yyy, how to tell it... Let's start with positives ;)

For sure, it is one of the longest fan movies out there, and it certainly took incredible amount for work for unexperienced group of fans to create. Surely it is a labor of love to *some* aspects of SW lore, and - considering they were making it for 9 years - huge respect for that alone. They certainly tried, and *some* actors even did a decent job.

Now, for, the plot... Well, after "Dark Ressurection" volumes 0 and 1 - being on par with original films (or much better, if we consider prequels and even TFA) - I'm definitely spoiled, and my bar for enjoying fan productions is VERY high. Given that, instead of saying "the plot is total crap", I'll ask you something - do you know what movie/movies this may come from? (technically, contain spoiler, but it doesn't matter, TBH):

"Two jedis are sent to a pacifistic [strike]soft and smooth[/strike] planet, where, as it turns out [strike]queen[/strike] princess is in dire need, due to actions of certain nasty organization and dark side user(s). [strike]the young boy the meet on travel[/strike] one of the jedis fell in love with [strike]queen[/strike] princess, by the way, so by the rule of George he is more prone to the temptation of dark side. Anyway, the find help in form of some [strike]soft[/strike] harsh smuggler, that turns out to be very honorable, after all. After some BAM BAM SLASH SLASH involving sneaking into occupied palace and making idiots out of [strike]droids[/strike] stormtroopers, bad guys are defeated, but not quite, leaving room for [strike]gods no[/strike] sequel."

And thats pretty it. Add to it acting by MOST actors (especially one of leading role females) being slightly below average for fans film + same for fighting scenes, and you get the picture. It have some semi-decent moments, but overall, it seems like a tribute to the very part of SW lore that I like to stay away from (or even deny it's existence), but fans of Phantom Menace might find a moment or two of enjoyment.

/Cat Lady

Last edited: