•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] couldn't load mpdefault.cfg (launcher issue)

Hello everyone,

long time jka player returning here after beeing away for a few years. I wanted to play mb2 again and downloaded the client just now.
When I launch the game through base JKA and manually start the mod through the mod manager I can join a server but get kicked after 1 minute telling me something like this:
: Disconnected: Please run the game via the launcher...
I also noticed that the animations seem to be bugged for me, everyone I see is either riding around in /sit or with their arms stretched out or any other form of non regular animation...

Upon using the launcher I get the following error:

could not load mpdefault.cfg

JAmp: v1.0.1.0 win-x86 Oct 24 2003
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
D:\tech /MBII
D:\tech /base

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
D:\tech /demo

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
Couldn't load mpdefault.cfg

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
When I launch the game through base JKA and manually start the mod through the mod manager I can join a server but get kicked after 1 minute telling me something like this:
: Disconnected: Please run the game via the launcher...
You shouldn't try loading Movie Battles through menu of vanilla JA, use MBII Launcher instead.
could not load mpdefault.cfg
There is nothing to do with mpdefault.cfg, but this is pretty strange:
Current search path:
D:\tech /MBII
D:\tech /base

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
Are you sure you've property installed Jedi Academy and Movie Battles into "D:\tech"?

Check that folder for does it really have JA/MB2 files.
Set actual path to Jedi Academy in Launcher's settings.

And why use such paths anyway? MBII should be in "GameData" directory of JA, which, in turn, belongs to some of "Program Files" subfolder, either immediate or somewhere in depths of Steam directory.

I don't run JKA from steam. My MB2 folders are in the game data folder of JA.
This is my secondary HD drive, I dont have the space on my main SSD drive, that's why.
I'll note that I use an image to run JA, I don't have the game anymore.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
My MB2 folders are in the game data folder of JA.
This is my secondary HD drive, I dont have the space on my main SSD drive, that's why.
Are you sure you have Jedi Academy in "D:\tech"?
It's still very weird. Notice you must specify correct path to "GameData" folder in Launcher's settings.
Also, you should place MBIILauncher.exe into "GameData".

Please post a screenshots of "D:\tech", its subfolders and MBII Launcher's settings.

It's in there, nothing strange about it, I simply designated a different destination, ofc I also did that for the mb2 installation.

mb2 directory.jpg

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It's in there, nothing strange about it, I simply designated a different destination, ofc I also did that for the mb2 installation.

View attachment 874
I can't see MBLauncher.exe in your GameData folder. Please move it into that folder.

There is no screenshots of "GameData\base" and "GameData\MBII" in your post, and no screenshot of Launcher's settings as well.
Post all those requested screenshots.

EDIT:
Apparently MBII Launcher can't handle folders those have "+" (plus) sign in their names.
You must rename "tech+software" directory so it won't have any plus signs in its name.

I strongly recommend you to stick with standard file structure naming conventions and use for all your software and files, not just Jedi Academy and Movie Battles II.
The best path for your MB2 installation is "D:\Program Files\Jedi Academy\MBII".

Last edited:
I've dropped the launcher exe into thegamedata folder (see screenshot) It launches the game fine but I still get kicked out of server after a few seconds. Thank you for all your help so far!
Here are the screenshots u requests:

Attachments

• Base folder.jpg
    Base folder.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 531
  • game data.jpg
    game data.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 565
  • MbII folder.jpg
    MbII folder.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 413
  • MbII folder_2.jpg
    MbII folder_2.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 397

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I've dropped the launcher exe into thegamedata folder (see screenshot) It launches the game fine but I still get kicked out of server after a few seconds. Thank you for all your help so far!
Here are the screenshots u requests:
The problem with random kicking from server and warning about Launcher despite the fact Launcher is running is well known, but still there is no reliable solution.

Only two advices so far:
  1. Try restarting the Launcher and Movie Battles multiple times
  2. MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => MBII Client => Play

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I tried option 2. u suggested, It seems to have worked :D! I played one match without any issues, everything works as it used to, thanks a lot !
It's good if it works for you, though it's kinda duck tape solution -- you're forced to use MBII Client instead of jamp.
Not everybody like it due some differences from jamp, see there:
OpenJK vs JAMP
Technical Issue - Difference between JAMP client and MBII client.

But as I said, currently I don't have an information about how to make servers not kick you while playing jamp... :(