Controls setup

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
certainly :p It can be learned to a high level.

I think gunbuttons clearly make certain options quicker and smoother, although, thinking about it, I will say that scrollwheel has the advantage of being able to switch guns without constricting your movement at all.

Some clear cases of gunbutton usefulness are class configurations that have lots of weapons to switch between, extreme examples including "lots-of-guns BH" or "EMP Rocket ARC, with level 1 M5." But... another case of possible scrollwheel advantage would be if you have multiple weapons on one slot (like two kinds of nades) and have enough scrollwheel control to quickly get to the "second" nade, which would require two button pushes with gunbutton bindings.

... so I admit now that scrollwheel has its theoretical merits :D

probably best to have gunbuttons AND scrollwheel weapon switch :D or... with my Roccat Tyon I have the option of double-binding force powers and guns to mouse buttons, and therefore being able to buttonswitch without restricting my movement at all. I should do that...

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
ponders

I'll try scrollwheel again, I'm interested by the challenge now, of being precise with scroll-switching.

I'll also switch RMB to toggle between first person and third person, and switch MMB (scroll click) to secondary fire, cuz I'm crazy, and it has some theoretical merits, and also cuz the Tyon has a very stable scrollwheel so I'm not likely to accidentally scroll while firing.

edit: tweaked it a bit more after that but I'll spare everyone the rambling details

Last edited:
I use ESDF for movement, and this mouse.
LogitechG300s.jpg

Ok, so here are my controls.
Mouse
Class Special 1: G5 (Which is a mouse key)
Class Special 2: G4 (Good for slap)
Change style: G6
Reload: G7
Mid-click: Mind trick
Scroll: Weapon change (I still use weapon keys)​
Keyboard
Crouch: Control
Walk: Shift
Push: T
Pull: H
Sense: W
Speed: Caps lock
Lightning/Grip: G (I change this in FA)
Chat: Y
Team Chat: U
Voice Chat: B

Taunts
Taunt: N
Meditate: K
Flourish: J
Gloat: I​
I don't have a nade bind, and I haven't changed the weapon binds. Pretty basic, but that's the beauty of it, as it's easy to memorize, imo.
I also use X for toggling Team Overlay (you would have to bind that in the console.)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I use ESDF for movement, and this mouse.

Ok, so here are my controls.
Mouse
Class Special 1: G5 (Which is a mouse key)
Class Special 2: G4 (Good for slap)
Change style: G6
Reload: G7
Mid-click: Mind trick
Scroll: Weapon change (I still use weapon keys)​
Keyboard
Crouch: Control
Walk: Shift
Push: T
Pull: H
Sense: W
Speed: Caps lock
Lightning/Grip: G (I change this in FA)
Chat: Y
Team Chat: U
Voice Chat: B

Taunts
Taunt: N
Meditate: K
Flourish: J
Gloat: I​
I don't have a nade bind, and I haven't changed the weapon binds. Pretty basic, but that's the beauty of it, as it's easy to memorize, imo.
I also use X for toggling Team Overlay (you would have to bind that in the console.)
my brother

cool to see someone else using transposed WASD and a very similar looking mouse (with those little buttons right next to LMB and RMB, which makes Class Special 2 feel way better in particular, with stuff like flamethrower and slap, as you said).

not sure what the point is of transposing WASD when you don't use A, Q, or Z tho, unless you have those bound to less important things like chat binds or something.

Oh wait, I guess it also puts the further weapon binds in easier reach when you have default weapon binds.

ponders

I'll try scrollwheel again, I'm interested by the challenge now, of being precise with scroll-switching.

I'll also switch RMB to toggle between first person and third person, and switch MMB (scroll click) to secondary fire, cuz I'm crazy, and it has some theoretical merits, and also cuz the Tyon has a very stable scrollwheel so I'm not likely to accidentally scroll while firing.

edit: tweaked it a bit more after that but I'll spare everyone the rambling details
how retarded are you?

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I know the OP didn't ask for all controls, just a few ones, but here goes.

Setting up controls is a matter of personal preference, what's important is asking yourself the right questions when designing it. Which core controls are going to be used the most: movement keys (including jump, crouch, walk) and primary/secondary attack usually. Which fingers/hands will you be using for those ?

Having decided these basics, which other controls will you use the most: reload, weapon mode, special 1, special 2, specific weapon selects, specific force powers, use, use item, select next item, scoreboard, voice chat menu, say, say team, maybe some specific voice chat lines. In order of being used the most, put them as close as possible to the core controls.

Then there are some subtleties like which fingers will be harder to move such as perhaps the pinky, or which controls you absolutely want to be able to use while still having free control over your movement (since movement is usually handled by the index, middle and ring fingers, you'll want to make such controls like walk or jump reachable independently of that, so by the thumb or the pinky). If you have additional buttons on the left or right of your mouse make sure to use them for something, as they won't impair anything (since you can use them with your thumb/ring finger while your index and middle finger can still freely press mouse1 & mouse2).

In short: the more important the control, the easiest to access (shortest distance possible for your fingers) it needs to be; and make sure to use the most fingers possible, normally all of them (except maybe the pinky on the right hand which is used only to help move the mouse around, that is if you're right-handed).

Some recommendations:

- Using specific weapon selects is objectively better than using prev/next weapon or a scrollwheel, because they instantly give you the weapon, which is always better than even the smallest delay. When not used to it, it might seem difficult because you have to move your fingers on a larger variety of buttons, and sometimes maybe pretty far for some of the least used weapons, but moving fingers more and more accurately is actually a way to increase one's overall skill and when you get used to it it will be way faster than scrolling or using prev/next.

- Using specific force power keys is also much, much better than scrolling through them or using prev/next force power + "use force power", it's actually even more critical than weapon selects. Get rid of all useless "/say stuff" binds and put all open mode force powers as close to your core movement keys as possible.

- Unless you are using your ring finger for mouse2, and thus can reach the middle mouse buttons with your middle finger, it's probably better never to use middle mouse buttons.

My setup:
- Movement keys = W, A, S, D
- Jump = Space
- Crouch = C
- Walk = Left Shift
- Primary/secondary attack = Mouse1/Mouse2
- Reload = Mouse4
- Weapon mode = Mouse5
- Special 1 = Y
- Special 2 = X
- Specific weapon selects = the basic ones from JKA: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9; PLX select = Alt; Explosives select = R
- Specific force power selects: Force Speed = Z, Force Seeing = B, Force Push = V, Force Pull = G, Force Mindtrick = N, Force Heal = H, Force Lightning = T, Force Grip = <
- Use = Left Ctrl
- Use item = U
- Next item = I
- Previous force power = Q
- Use force power = F
- Next force power = E
- Scoreboard = Tab
- Voice chat menu = K
- Say = O
- Say team = +
- First/Third person view toggle = P
- Taunts etc. = unimportant, somewhere in the , . à ù è keys

And a bonus:
- Autoblock script toggle = J
It's a simple script you can set up like this in your jampconfig.cfg or directly in the console:
/seta unblock "-altattack;bind j vstr block"
/seta block "+altattack;bind j vstr unblock"
/bind J "vstr block"

on a keyboard layout like this
upload_2018-4-4_18-3-9.png

Now that i look at my layout more closely like this, i realize there are alot of bad aspects about it that i didn't realize at the time i designed it. For example, instead of having Prev/Next/Use force power, which should all essentially be useless unless playing FA with Force Destruction/Drain or whatever, so close to the movement keys, i should totally replace them with Special 1 and some specific weapon/force power keys.

Last edited:

Starushka

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I use 3 different layouts. For regular gunning, for sniping and for sabering. Switching between them by pressing 6-7-8.
This allows me to have the most effective control scheme for a specific class, without hurting others.
Also control schemes allows me to have a different sensitivity for gunning and for sabering.

Gunner scheme
Code:
CTRL  - use
ALT - weapon mode
1  - melee
E  - main weapon (A280/Dlt20a/e11/clone rifle/bowcaster etc) multibutton
Q  - pistol
F - grenade
R  - reload
V  - special 1
B  - special 2
X  - centerview. Allows you to point your crosshair at height of enemies heads in no time
MOUSE3  - taunt

sensitivity 1.8

Sniper scheme
Code:
CTRL  - use
ALT - weapon mode
1  - melee
2 - pistol
E  - sniper rifle
Q  - e11/dlt20a
F - grenade
R  - reload
V  - special 1
B  - special 2
X  - centerview.
MOUSE3  - taunt

sensitivity 1.8

Jedi/Sith scheme
Code:
CTRL - use
ALT - saber style
1 - taunt
2 - flourish
3 - gloat
4 - bow
5 - meditate
Q - prev force
E - next force
F - use force
G - heal
R - reload
V - special 1
B - special 2
X - push
Z - pull
MOUSE3 - centerview

sensitivity 4

In case you want to use it:
1. Download attached zip archive
2. Extract it into mb2 folder
3. Open colsole in game and type /exec saber
4. Switch between control schemes with 6, 7 and 8.

Attachments

• schemes.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
my brother

cool to see someone else using transposed WASD and a very similar looking mouse (with those little buttons right next to LMB and RMB, which makes Class Special 2 feel way better in particular, with stuff like flamethrower and slap, as you said).

not sure what the point is of transposing WASD when you don't use A, Q, or Z tho, unless you have those bound to less important things like chat binds or something.

Oh wait, I guess it also puts the further weapon binds in easier reach when you have default weapon binds.
Ah, finally. Thank you. In short, it's because I use ESDF in other games, and those are backups for FA (e.g. Q for heal) and whenever I need an extra bind. (in JA, I had A for Absorb and Z for Protect). After thinking about it, I could move Speed over to A lol
EDIT: I could configure next/previous/use Force powers with QAZ

Last edited:

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Ill give you some advice:

Switch binds depending on what class and what build you are playing. For example I use mouse3 (mouse wheel when clicking) for pull and ctrl for special 2. When I switch to gunner I use m3 as my special 2 button. There is not usually space for all keys especially if you play both gunner and jedi so switching binds depending on what you play matters.

Forcepowers: do not bind "use force" or "next force". Bind those forcepowers what you use. For example i bind speed/grip/lightning to "f" depending on what I use, r for push, x for mindtrick and m3 for pull. If you use pull then I really recommend m3 since pull needs to be aimed so it is easier to land if you bind it to your mouse.

Ill give you some advice:

Switch binds depending on what class and what build you are playing. For example I use mouse3 (mouse wheel when clicking) for pull and ctrl for special 2. When I switch to gunner I use m3 as my special 2 button. There is not usually space for all keys especially if you play both gunner and jedi so switching binds depending on what you play matters.

Forcepowers: do not bind "use force" or "next force". Bind those forcepowers what you use. For example i bind speed/grip/lightning to "f" depending on what I use, r for push, x for mindtrick and m3 for pull. If you use pull then I really recommend m3 since pull needs to be aimed so it is easier to land if you bind it to your mouse.
I disagree wholeheartedly with the last paragraph. Having use force and next force power is useful if you have some powers that you rarely use or if you change build often and that you have 1 or 2 force power that is not bound. For example if you have push and pull or push and sense bound and you switch around the remaining force power then that way your "use force power" will act as an universal bind for that unbound force power ( instead of having to change your setup or remember the proper bind.)

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I disagree wholeheartedly with the last paragraph. Having use force and next force power is useful if you have some powers that you rarely use or if you change build often and that you have 1 or 2 force power that is not bound. For example if you have push and pull or push and sense bound and you switch around the remaining force power then that way your "use force power" will act as an universal bind for that unbound force power ( instead of having to change your setup or remember the proper bind.)
Switching force powers takes time and makes your reaction time slower + makes it easier to mess up and end up using the wrong force power. Getting used to the binds can take a moment but it is totally worth it.

You wont run out of binds, no matter what forces you use. For example my jedi forcewhore consists of seeing (binded on "3"), speed ("f"), mindtrick ("x"), push ("r") and pull ("m3"). It can be tricky to learn the set up but it is worth it once you do.