Votes: 8 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No, I'm a humorless MLG pro and hate seeing fun

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hug allowed for people to freeze their upper body on the last frame of an animation that at worst provided an easy instant kata grab and at best provided a way to show people that the hugger was unaggressive or was initiating melee combat or it was simply a diversion for players not actively in combat. It was a harmless feature that was removed to "polish" the game (built on a relatively ancient engine), though many hug-like features remain in the game like freezing your upper body after rolling with a primed grenade or the instant over-the-shoulder melee kata.

So as far as I can tell all that removing hug was make the game a little less unique and just a little more boring. Were there any behind-the-scene code benefits to removing hug? What other reasons are there for not letting us have our hugs back?

#mb2Hug2016

Preston

Nerd
^ and also it made melee alot better. You could freeze your position after doing an uppercut and do constant 1hp damage or so. This is needed back

Preston

Nerd
For real tho. Torso freeze coming back is long over due, it was so much fun and innocent. I miss giving hugs to people :(

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
provided an easy instant kata grab and at best provided a way to show people that the hugger was unaggressive or was initiating melee combat or it was simply a diversion for players not actively in combat.
Those both sound like good reasons for it to stay gone, at least from open mode. Open mode shouldn't be the place to players be "unaggressive". A feature that encourages people to be useless at best and get in their team's way at worst is pretty bad.

IIRC, the primary reason behind it's removal was to stop easy instant katas.

I don't really appreciate having someone jumping in my way being a loving carebear in a game about killing when I'm trying to shoot somebody. It's not about serious, it's about competitiveness being fun. It doesn't have to be MLG PRO TIER PUG 7V7 stuff, just respect your opponents and fight them with all you've got. I even less appreciate being 'hugged' with a melee kata when I'm trying to fight.

Hug was removed to remove the instakata. If you think the hugging thing is so important to you, just use the grenade freeze trick to do it.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Nothing is more boring in this game than care bearing. I'd rather play the game itself than "hug" each other and havin huge "lols" because it is so "funi omg". I always laugh so hard when the last players alive hug and don't let the rest respawn and enjoy the game. I sometimes enjoy it so much that I may even move them into spectator. Challenge is fun, don't lame my game down by being a pacifist.

Ps. Bring back the coinflip tho, that was awesome

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
How about keep torso freeze but keep insta kata gone? Compromise? Because atm and last time this was polled there was about double who had wanted hugs back than that didnt, and yet nothing was changed..

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
How about keep torso freeze but keep insta kata gone? Compromise? Because atm and last time this was polled there was about double who had wanted hugs back than that didnt, and yet nothing was changed..
removing hugs was pretty much the only way to remove instakatas.

For those who may don't know, you can still do torso freeze by another method, but you can't move with it. You can do all the silly pose while standing. If you want to know, you can pm me.

Btw I vote no, it was fun while it lasted, but let's move on with our lives. I hated the reasoning when they removed torso freeze, cause you can still do instant katas with punch spam…However a better reason for removal was the buff of the uppercut damage in my opinion. The uppercut freeze would have became very lethal if they kept torso freeze. Surprisingly I didn't see anyone reason with this when the drama was going on about this on the old forums.
I loved the torso freeze, but still I say no. Sometimes I miss the infinite melee combos that you could do though. (without putting your enemy next to a wall, cause you can still infinite there ^^)

Preston

Nerd
For those who may don't know, you can still do torso freeze by another method, but you can't move with it. You can do all the silly pose while standing. If you want to know, you can pm me.

Btw I vote no, it was fun while it lasted, but let's move on with our lives. I hated the reasoning when they removed torso freeze, cause you can still do instant katas with punch spam…However a better reason for removal was the buff of the uppercut damage in my opinion. The uppercut freeze would have became very lethal if they kept torso freeze. Surprisingly I didn't see anyone reason with this when the drama was going on about this on the old forums.
I loved the torso freeze, but still I say no. Sometimes I miss the infinite melee combos that you could do though. (without putting your enemy next to a wall, cause you can still infinite there ^^)
But moving around with it is the fun part.

Preston

Nerd
Actually with hero you can dash around with torso freezing. :D
You can even do instant grab with it…oops I'm exposing my secrets.
Yeah but thats only hero, and its alot harder to even do the still freeze :( the main problem I read is that people say torso freeze caused time wasting, but I cant really recall seeing anyone ever be the last player in torso freeze and just doing nothing. Torso freeze even made going across a hallway or hangar on dotf fun ; ( and im actually a very serious player 9 time out of 10, and I miss torso freeze alot, it was part of mb2 identify and was taken from us to fix a "bug".

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Nothing is more boring in this game than care bearing. I'd rather play the game itself than "hug" each other and havin huge "lols" because it is so "funi omg". I always laugh so hard when the last players alive hug and don't let the rest respawn and enjoy the game. I sometimes enjoy it so much that I may even move them into spectator. Challenge is fun, don't lame my game down by being a pacifist.
Gargos is on the money here. It was a strong detriment to the average game experience despite its entertainment value.

For those who wanna jack off with anims, it is still possible.
  1. Prime grenade
  2. Victory taunt
  3. Hands are now stuck holding crotch
  4. Move mouse up and down vigorously
  5. Spam "Coming" voice cmd for added effect

Preston

Nerd
Gargos is on the money here. It was a strong detriment to the average game experience despite its entertainment value.

For those who wanna jack off with anims, it is still possible.
  1. Prime grenade
  2. Victory taunt
  3. Hands are now stuck holding crotch
  4. Move mouse up and down vigorously
  5. Spam "Coming" voice cmd for added effect
But, but ,but,but,but. :(

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
But, but ,but,but,but. :(
I found it entertaining when it was in, but now that I've played without them for several years, I really look back at the times when I've wanted to play the damn game and then I see these people running around essentially ignoring the game.

MB2 is enough of a chatroom with some gameplay elements as is.

Either way, this is just my 2 cents and does not in any way reflect the entire team.

Status
Not open for further replies.