Votes: 77 71.3%
  • Redesign

Votes: 19 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Because you are not the arbiter of what is fun, and I listen to more people than just you and because it's my job to use my best judgement for the good of the mod not to stroke your ego.

I have to think about what happens next, and the fact is I can have no confidence what so ever that we will ever to be able to say the saber system is complete.

It is a broken system that needs to be taken behind the barn and shot with both barrels. Then I will go down to the pet store and get you a new saber system.
You really should play this game and ask the players yourself if you dont believe me. I dont understand why you dont think its a good idea to fix the current issues on the system, let players enjoy it while you guys work on the new redesign

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
All time? i have no idea, do you want me to go spend 5 hours tallying it up? last 5 years or so? Dueling without a doubt has had more changes than open.
Then its just silly that the main mode hasnt been changed more than the secondary. But arent there more devs for open than for sabering

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
You really should play this game and ask the players yourself if you dont believe me. I dont understand why you dont think its a good idea to fix the current issues on the system, let players enjoy it while you guys work on the new redesign

Because we don't have the resources to build two saber systems.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
But arent there more devs for open than for sabering

Numbers wise? Yes. Actual hours those devs are capable of working? No. Its very silly having the 2 devs with the most amount of time to work, fighting over the same system, while the 3 other devs with the least amount of time to work are slowly inching towards getting 8 pages of features done. Sometimes only doing a single feature for like an 8 month time span because of how little time they have to work. This is like year 4 of slowly working on the backend rework if not more.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Numbers wise? Yes. Actual hours those devs are capable of working? No. Its very silly having the 2 devs with the most amount of time to work, fighting over the same system, while the 3 other devs with the least amount of time to work are slowly inching towards getting 8 pages of features done. Sometimes only doing a single feature for like an 8 month time span because of how little time they have to work. This is like year 4 of slowly working on the backend rework if not more.
Alright, thanks for clarifying

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
sounds like an excuse to me... would it really eat your resources by making tempests build (that he has worked by himself, afaik) public and redesign muuch later

When does it stop? The line has to be drawn somewhere.

If tempests build can be made a little better do we do that? How many times? How do we test two completely different systems?

This is as good a place as any to say no more untill we can actually make things better.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
If anyone wanted my direct opinion/wants to ask me questions, feel free to ping me on Discord/Steam whenever.

It's still technically possible to test what I've worked on but I haven't been doing any changes to it (since the last bits of mostly open but not official testing in June(?)) because of being busy with school and and all of the things Mace has mentioned. It also would need to be merged in with the new code (which I've already got a lot of open mode changes branched from to help with the downtime concerns) which is pointless to try and do until everything is finalized.

Last edited:

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
When does it stop? The line has to be drawn somewhere.

If tempests build can be made a little better do we do that? How many times? How do we test two completely different systems?

This is as good a place as any to say no more untill we can actually make things better.
We just want to have a solid system where things work like they should. Making tempests build open beta and having many people test it would be great. If the players think its better than the current public build, release it and keep it.

You're misunderstanding. Its a waste of resources to constantly redo the saber system and focus on duel mode for 10+ years, and have people still be unhappy. Many of us are done with this crap. How many times in the past have we had people saying "Why cant we get X's saber build update yet? It sounds finished and sounds great!" And it releases and it doesn't live up to the same hype you are associating with it right now, because people find some exploit with it not found in testing (or even possibly intentionally hidden by ego saberist testers so they can abuse when live) that ruins the entire thing. I have heard this sooo many times. I have also heard "Just revert to X build" so many times, which is a build that many people I know detest, while another group adores. An example being 1.3 Peneke suggested above. That is one of my least favorite builds, because I believe it lead is down the wrong path for sabering that lead us to here. I pretty much stopped any sabering at all outside of helping test in beta, because of that build leaving such a sour taste in my mouth. Going back past the ideas of 1.3 and redoing everything is the only way its going to work.

This isn't sustainable when we have such a small team. Just go back to my list of features for things that could have been added if the same effort put on the saber system was put elsewhere. We are in a worse spot as a game/mod because of all of this. Sabering is literally choking us to death, but no one wants to give it up for a time as evidence by the three threads in the past week. Time to move forward, rather than reinventing the wheel the 100th time.

We have, for 10 years. That is why the saber system keeps getting updates. We've tried builds with suggestions from the community, beta, devs, everyone. None of them are working out. Some are better than others, but still have a large enough segment of the community that finds and abuses exploits, or just wants changes to have it feel a way that they like, or whatever the case may be. We've been running in circles for years. Just because you have only really been around recently to see how things are now, doesn't suddenly discount how we got here.

I have no problem with open betas, and would like to do them more often. They are a massive chore to setup right now though. However, people acting like Tempests build will suddenly stop a large chunk of the community from requesting another set of massive changes is completely wishful thinking and not at all based on past evidence. Tempest has been doing testing on it outside of the dev and beta team to get more feedback but I almost guarantee something will be wrong, and someone will end up bitching about something once we set it up for open beta or release it. It is inevitable based on past patches. Meanwhile the rest of the mod suffers while I sit here not having features I requested 10 years ago added to the game. Features that I could have done myself in 2 weeks in UE4 but need help here.

He started saying that 2 years ago, its still not done and hes still tweaking it. That is beside the point as because months ago we did a massive code merge which reworked a lot of the backend of mb2. That build has not been updated with that code merge yet, and basically all gameplay changes need that code to go out before those changes can be done. I am tempted to release what we have for the current changelog once everything is a bit more well documented just so people can see how much is actually changing. The patch notes currently sit at 8 pages, with no main gameplay changes being present and things currently in it not being fully documented.

I would love to finally have a sabering build the majority is happy with, that we don't constantly have to keep tweaking, but that seems like a losing battle after trying for over 10 years while everything else suffers. We are not Mordhau or Chivalry where the majority of the characters carry swords, with things like archers and spearmen sprinkled about. We have a whole wide variety of character types/classes in the SW universe that aren't even represented in this mod 16.5 years later. Lets make those cool things.

I just went through this entire thread, and seriously - I am in disbelief at the utter disrespect shown to MaceMadunusus. Out of anybody here now, I would say his word is probably one of the most logical and factually accurate. He has been around and on the development team longer than anyone else right now(Apologies if there is someone else still there.)

As for the "Mace do you write code for sabers!!!"

That is entirely irrelevant and shows a complete lack of understanding of how the development team operates. I'm sure in some cases developers take their own opinion when deciding things, but otherwise they listen to feedback from the team, internal testers and the community. The amount of effort and time Mace has dedicated to this mod, the dude deserves an award. (Inb4 "wow stop sucking up!!!")

As for the whole sabering thing, I share a pretty similar belief. Ever since MB2 has come out, this topic is ALWAYS brought up. It's either "revert to this version" or "wait until the next version" And every single time, it leads us to "wow this version sucks, revert to the old version. "

I'm not against changing the system or trying Tempests out (Because I know that is Tempest thing.) But don't misconstrue what was originally said. If the developers solely focused on the sabering system on every build, nothing else would be changed, and there would be even more bickering. I wish we still had an archive on the old forums, because I could link people to at least 10 threads on this same topic during previous builds. The developers resources should be focused elsewhere, not just to sabering. There are still really cool things, that I remember from 6-8 years ago, that haven't been released.

Last edited:

Karus

Donator
This is annoying, because I agree with Defiant and with Hessu.
But, it doesn't matter anyway, since Tempest has clarified that it's pointless to try and merge the new build in with the mod until everything is finalized from a coding standpoint.
And I totally agree with Gunman. I understand being frustrated because you're passionate about the mod, but some of the people replying to this thread (and some other one's) don't really seem to give two shits about what's being said. To those people, I say, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SHITTY MACE MEMES. Bring something valuable to the fucking discussion or don't say anything at all.

To those people, I say, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SHITTY MACE MEMES. Bring something valuable to the fucking discussion or don't say anything at all.

Couldn't agree more. The amount of childish irresponsible bullshit being thrown around is absurd.

Complaining about the mod saying you want it fixed but then disrespecting the very people who are developing it... Where's the logic?

It's fair enough to be upset and frustrated but some people just take it way too far with their shitty neglectful attitude thinking they're above and beyond everyone else. You know who you are you absolute cretins!!!!!!!!!

As much as I whole heartedly agree time spent on saber changes is far far too saturated for the reality that it makes up just 1/7th of the class variety in the game, and worse yet it’s only really dynamic for the sake of fighting each other, I can also see some things I believe were made worse in sabering.

Sabering is popular, the game is Jedi Academy, no one bought this game saying “Yeah, can’t wait to bust out the E-11”, so it’s always going to have attention, and it needs to be engaging, because most people are going to naturally gravitate towards it, I mean dude, lightsabers, epic duels, swordfights, who wants to be a dummy stormie when u could be anikid.

The current sabering system is very complex, and not in a good way, base JKA was also complex and it’s complexity wasn’t from having 500 mechanics, it was complex because it was fluid and it gave you plenty of tools to liquidly utilize the system in a fast and enticing manner, it almost felt natural weaving close for your hits and bobbing out of your opponent’s, and as both players got better at this you could noticeably see how their movements grew more elegant. The important thing to take away is that since they didn’t have to juggle 500 mechanics they could focus on just playing, and if the system is intuitive AND engaging enough that’s all you really need to get good, and you’ll have fun along the way.

The original MB2 saber system was more or less base with the added function of block, slap, and mblock, which was all it really needed to stand apart from JKA, people had to adapt coming from base or JA+ just to wrap around those two seemingly minor, yet clearly not, mechanics. And that was beautiful, two simple changes and you have a completely new system that is still reminiscent of the base game.

The current saber system is like the Frankenstein patchwork of those 3 changes on steroids, each one having been “fleshed out” to the point they’re abominable, and I think through the years we’ve seen that too trying to stitch together fix after fix, now we’ve got something no one really understands but everyone gets is not right.

We lost simplicity, a lot of the sabering “mechanics” that exist today also existed in the old builds, though unnamed and more intuitively integrated. The dueling was still about breaking their defense and stifling their offense better than they did to you. You still had to directionally swing the “right” way and block the “right” way to pull this off, but you didn’t have a little red or green indicator telling you it happened, you just sort of learned it, and quickly too because it was honestly simple. MB2 block, Mb1 swing, don’t get interrupted, chain your attacks, swingblock to avoid getting mblocked. Getting hit while jumping/running/crouching is bad, but movement is important. That’s it, that’s all someone needed to tell you and the rest was going to come only from hard earned experience.

The only real difference from dueling then and now is the indicators, two styles, and feints. All of that core gameplay is still there, you can feel it all the same even through all the bloat of constant and unending saber changes. It’s just a shame that as we went through saber changes all we did was add fat to a sleek and well oiled formula when what it really needed was just a slight tuning here and there.

So while I’m sick of time spent on the dueling system I can honestly say that having seen it’s iterations since B17 the only differences I see, is that now rather than intuitively feeling the saber system you have to learn all of it’s mechanics, and that just doesn’t feel as much like a game to me, to the point I don’t even duel much anymore. One of the things I miss the most about the old builds was that in the simplicity of it you still saw gems stand out, there were duelists who could regularly trounce 3-4 other saberists at once, and just as well as they could do that another good duelist could lock them down. There’s much less variance now since everyone’s forced to play so stringently to the same system which are so important you don’t even see people 2v1’ing anymore because you can’t defend against two people half so well as before. I feel that in adding so much we really tethered the saber system to this neutered and small thing it is now compared to it’s former free flowing self.

Gotta say, i do think sabering needs a redesign and made simpler. But for the time being i think having the current system made more enjoyable by fixing the issues would be for the best
i second having a more simple, basic but good saber system.

I disagree. I actually think having more complexity is the direction to go. 7 saber forms, each form specializing in 1 thing. Juyo for fighting multiple saberists but piss poor against gunners. Soresu for defensive "tank" gameplay to support your team / hold a hallway or area but the moment you go offensive you die. Shii-Cho for amazing deflect and disarm gameplay but shit for prolonged engagements. You get the idea.

Karus

Donator
Yeah man, I think sabering should be complex. Not more complex than it is at the moment, though.
Yeah, it's harder to 2v1, and stuff like that, but when you DO see someone win a 2v1, sometimes it's just fucking mindblowingly awesome to have seen.
I think the level of complexity sabering is at right now is perfect. I have my issues with it, obviously, as everyone else does. I don't really like MB, in the sense that it disarms. And PB is kinda, meh. Dunno. But the mechanics that are there are decent, I don't really think they need to be completely redesigned as a lot of people are suggesting. I think taking Lance's point is important, though. We don't need to add new concepts to sabering, or entirely new mechanics, shit like that. We just need to tweak what's already there.
(PB, MB, Slap, Countering, Parries, Swingblock).
Also, by having sabering as complex as it is, it definitely raises the skill gap, which I think is important for MBII. There's always been a big skill gap in this mod, whether you're playing Open, Duel, FA, so why reduce that now by removing more complex mechanics?

making a saber system so complex was the problem to begin with and the sole reason why we have so many opinions, complains and so on in the community regarding the saber system itself.
not to mention new players not being able to get into it and having to quit it all together, you can make so many tutorials about it but its never gonna work as intended for them, good for you if you are able to exploit the system, but its not necessary a good thing either.
having something solid, basic, but good its the way to go, a shame if you dont see it that way.

I guess I'm more of a realist. We're never going to grow our playerbase. To quote Kylo Ren, "It's just us now!"

So now that we're here and invested, lets make something for us. A lot of developers destroy their games by catering to a fan base they'll never have.

Karus

Donator
I guess I'm more of a realist. We're never going to grow our playerbase. To quote Kylo Ren, "It's just us now!"

So now that we're here and invested, lets make something for us. A lot of developers destroy their games by catering to a fan base they'll never have.
Precisely. Catering solely to newer players is the mistake EA made with both battlefronts. Too simple of a system - replayability will drop. Too complex - not enough people will play. It's somewhere in the middle right now, I think. People complain about dueling, but they will still come on to duel.

Status
Not open for further replies.