Adding a gradual fade period to Mind-Trick?

My problem with this is mainly that MT can be used super offensively, as soon as a Jedi uses it, they're gone, which leaves the opposition guessing.
I feel it would lessen the impact if they added a 0.5 second fade-away period where the MT user vanishes gradually as opposed to instantly, would promote less Jedi to rush with it and use it more as an ambush weapon which I feel like it is supposed to be.

Thoughts? Yay? Nay? Torches and Pitchforks?!

I will admit though my judgement is clouded due to saltiness, but I feel it's worth discussing about it.

EDIT: I've come to agree that MT in it's current iteration doesn't need my suggestion as it would basically cut it's efficiency by a whopping 12.5%, which is not good.

Last edited:
My problem with this is mainly that MT can be used super offensively, as soon as a Jedi uses it, they're gone, which leaves the opposition guessing.
I feel it would lessen the impact if they added a 0.5 second fade-away period where the MT user vanishes gradually as opposed to instantly, would promote less Jedi to rush with it and use it more as an ambush weapon which I feel like it is supposed to be.

I will admit though my judgement is clouded due to saltiness, but I feel it's worth discussing about it.

Mindtrick is already barely used due to its extremely short periods for which it can be used. There are already several things that combat mindtrick without the need to nerf it even more.

At least it's better than the old mt. I find it pretty balanced without the duals perk.

Mindtrick is already barely used due to its extremely short periods for which it can be used. There are already several things that combat mindtrick without the need to nerf it even more.
Out of curiosity, how long does MT actually last? 10 seconds at most or something?

Out of curiosity, how long does MT actually last? 10 seconds at most or something?

lol not even. I believe the current duration is 2.5 seconds. With that they also added that getting damaged causes the mindtricker to become visible for about .5 seconds.

S

Shady ^^

Mindtrick level 3 lasts for 4 seconds. By the way I don't think a nerf is required

lol not even. I believe the current duration is 2.5 seconds. With that they also added that getting damaged causes the mindtricker to become visible for about .5 seconds.
This I have noticed, when they get hit they become visible. Problem is as soon as you use it, you are rolling dice, you are literally gambling at that point unless you have positioned yourself to limit the Jedi's approach, although this is not always doable.

But you could buff the ability's duration/force-drain if a fade-duration were implemented, doesn't have to be a direct nerf, but like an alteration, although my original suggestion only suggests a nerf, which for a 4 second duration ability I do agree feels wrong cause you'll only have a 3.5 second effective duration if that were to be implemented.

This I have noticed, when they get hit they become visible. Problem is as soon as you use it, you are rolling dice, you are literally gambling at that point unless you have positioned yourself to limit the Jedi's approach, although this is not always doable.

But you could buff the ability's duration/force-drain if a fade-duration were implemented, doesn't have to be a direct nerf, but like an alteration, although my original suggestion only suggests a nerf, which for a 4 second duration ability I do agree feels wrong cause you'll only have a 3.5 second effective duration if that were to be implemented.

If it had it's old duration, i'd agree with your original proposal. But currently, the duration is just way too short for it to be necessary.

Never thought that. I mean, a jedi dissapear in front of me? I start shooting like an idiot. 7/10 works.
And I can't see how a 0.5 could change things: they can simply hide for that 0.5 seconds and then hit, or activate the MT and start jumping around till they're completely invisible.
Maybe add a blur or something like that?

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Definitely nay, mind trick needs to be completely invisible or it's useless. It's just too easy to see any sort of half-way faded model. If MT can't be used offensively, there's really no reason to buy it. Ambushes are already pretty easy for jedi to set up as a melee class with lots of mobility.

Definitely nay, mind trick needs to be completely invisible or it's useless. It's just too easy to see any sort of half-way faded model. If MT can't be used offensively, there's really no reason to buy it. Ambushes are already pretty easy for jedi to set up as a melee class with lots of mobility.

lol i forgot you can still use melee while invisible. So silly.

Initially MT was changed so that it'd be used more offensively and less for ambushes.

I think MT is fine as it is. The only thing that makes it kinda crazy is that being able to use it so often, you can really make a lot of less stoic players panic and shit their pants just by making them hear the MT effect. Sometimes that's all you need to do to make it easier for your gunners to get the upper hand.

the fact that it's instant is not a problem, invisibility as a concept will never work in any shooter because it requires no skill to get kills out of

especially when you're a jedi who literally just has to press m1

mt should be removed :)

Well the idea was that the half-way fade period would only last 0.5 seconds, then it would be completely invisible again, which I don't consider unreasonable.

Regardless, I've had a frustration-fueled workout since then and can once again see reason. I've come to agree that MT in it's current iteration doesn't need my suggestion as it would basically cut it's efficiency by a whopping 12.5%, which is not good.

Now I gotta ask though, why is MT hardly used? It's clearly effective as I've seen people absolutely murder opponent by opponent through clever utilization of the ability, even against opponents considered 'Good' or 'Veterans' on the servers I frequent, obviously not always, depends if the gunner makes a good gamble or not.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Now I gotta ask though, why is MT hardly used? It's clearly effective as I've seen people absolutely murder opponent by opponent through clever utilization of the ability, even against opponents considered 'Good' or 'Veterans' on the servers I frequent, obviously not always, depends if the gunner makes a good gamble or not.
I feel like MT is currently an all or nothing ability. Since it only lasts 2.5-4 seconds, you already have to be pretty close to get a kill using it. Generally, I don't think it's worth it to turn off my saber that close to an enemy even if I am invisible. Especially against gunners with high RoF weapons (i.e. anything except pistol 3), getting shot once means likely death because it makes you visible again while your saber is still off. Much less of a gamble to just wait for a push/pull/reload. Also, there's just too many ways to counter MT to make it a safe purchase. Sense, force block, advanced logic, tracker darts, poison darts, and flamethrower are all very effective counters.

MT+speed is a great combo that makes MT borderline OP in a 1v1 as it makes it viable over much larger distances. However, MT+speed costs a lot of points and uses up a lot of FP. Very pricey for something that you won't use much outside of a 1v1 because it will leave you with very little or no FP.

What would be a good way to deal with mt?
I spray everywhere and run. I noticed I don't get push spammed by MT users and assume you can't push while invisible.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
I noticed I don't get push spammed by MT users and assume you can't push while invisible.
You can, but you can't regenerate FP while invisible so that limits it. I think push/pull might also flash the user visible briefly like getting shot does, but I don't remember because MT gets used so infrequently.

EDIT: Just tested it very briefly. Seems like mind trick is still active after a push, but anyone affected by the push (even if no knockdown) is no longer mind tricked.

Last edited: