A-Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
Wow that's really cool! Love seeing this.
PS: Work on the credits pls. b nice

Last edited:

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
Now, if you accept some constructive critic so to say. If I were you I'd give more love to soundsets, most of the time they feel redundant and disorganized amongst characters and even across classes. Though it's possible to run out of ideas regarding sounds when you have so many chars, but still. Heroes shouldn't talk as Jedi. And generally, just add some more variety there.

Take a look at shader files cause I was having multiple error messages about missing shaders whenever I pick a character.

Take a specific look at Jacen Solo, his face is off.

Another thing to point out. I may sound a bit hypocrite here cause I'm also "guilty" of this to a degree in my own addon pack but let's try to avoid too many overlapping characters with other packs. There's just no point. Even if you do, make it so players won't have the same character twice or more. Comunicate with other creators so you avoid conflicts and overlaps. I see many things that Landolore also has, maybe even MaiaPack, or me.

I really like the female imperial officers though, also the Sith Rodian/Kel-Dor.

Your marketing stands out however. That's great.

(And yeah, do as Iris suggested.)

Could you tell me from which source did you port the Abednedo species and the female imperial heads?

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback. As far as adding credit goes, I personally don’t see much of a point or care in this case. Majority of these models are not made using original assets or are so old the name of the creator is irrelevant. Making a list of random names is pointless in my opinion.

This pack started as my own personal thing that I shared through a few discords and many of the overlapping models you are referring to were in this pack before others. That being said - I have removed many overlaps within the last two releases and most of the ones remaining are the ones I really liked or went out of the way to add sounds to myself i.e IG-11 & Empress Acina. I tried hard to keep the majority of models unique to my pack, which I believe I’ve done.

The sound sets were a bit of a pain but in comparison to the other packs you’ve mentioned, you’ll be hard pressed to find a model that only says “take that”. I would rather two models here and there share some voice lines or some taunts being off, than half of them having no taunts at all. To add unique voice lines for all of these would be very time consuming.

There are maybe five models give or take that will display a small shader error in console one time upon selection. I tried minimizing that but the shaders were giving me a hard time with this many models. Those errors are harmless at least and there’s not many. Jacen Solo is fine for me, all of the shaders are working for me in both JAMP and MBII Client.

I do appreciate the feedback, these are just my views on what you’ve pointed out. Thanks for the replies

Abednedo and the female imps are from Galaxy of Heroes

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback. As far as adding credit goes, I personally don’t see much of a point or care in this case. Majority of these models are not made using original assets or are so old the name of the creator is irrelevant. Making a list of random names is pointless in my opinion.
Doesn't matter if a model is old or not you still need to credit their creator. You can only not credit the original creator if he states that it's not needed. Sometimes you also need to contact the model creator for permission if he doesn't state that you can share his work.
I don't know if you need to credit just the original creator of ported content or porter and creator but you should still credit them since they made it.

Also making a credit list is not pointless. 99% Of the time models that you can download for MB2 are not marked with any name. Unless you include the original Readme.txt that came with it no one will know who made that model. When I want to learn who made some model how would I do it if there is no way for me to know his name. I can only search through 1000s of models and maybe I'll find the right one. Putting a list that simply says who are the people that made models that are in this pack makes a difference. Also, it's not hard.

Someone porting assets from another game does not mean they “created” the model. Are they giving credit to the original creator? If you are so interested, you’re more than welcome to message me regarding a specific model.

“It’s not hard” - I’m not going to spend the time going back over 210 models to find an irrelevant name to put on a list when they are using unoriginal assets in the first place. No one has made these models from scratch.

Someone porting assets from another game does not mean they “created” the model. Are they giving credit to the original creator? If you are so interested, you’re more than welcome to message me regarding a specific model.
If they credited the original creator then you should do that too. If they ported it but did not credit in any way company or person that created the model then putting their name under "ported" is enough.
“It’s not hard” - I’m not going to spend the time going back over 210 models to find an irrelevant name to put on a list when they are using unoriginal assets in the first place. No one has made these models from scratch.
"Irrelevant names" yet you still use their content. Also if you modify original assets a lot it becomes original work. That creator needs to ask permissions for modifying previous creators work but work that comes out becomes original.
For example, you use this Revan in your pack: Jedi Knight Revan by PreFXDesigns
It uses models of other creators and it became original work of PreFXDesigns because he modified it so much that it no longer resembles assets used originally.
If you don't want to put the work required to release a pack then don't release it.
How would you like it if someone took something you made and didn't even credit you?

I’m not “taking” anything or claiming that I made any of these models. It’s just an add on pack for an ancient Star Wars game. Like I said, if you are interested in a specific model, feel free to message me. Other than that, I have no plans to make any credit list and I personally do not care in the slightest.

Last edited:

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
Look, if you're creating something, be respectful to other creators. The bare minimum you could do is give them proper credits. It's always been like this in MB2. Just because either the models you took or the mod are old it's still relevant. Just because you weren't born today it makes you less relevant?

There's no such thing as "pain" or "I don't care" when it's your project, your responsibility so to say. By sharing it on the web, you are taking it, technically. I'm sure it's the same when it comes to basically anything everywhere even according to international law.
If you had the time to upload 210 models then you'll have to take effort and credit 210 of them as well. If not the person who ported them, then the creators of the game where they're sourced from. Rather both. There are hours of work behind everything you uploaded. We're only asking you to do bits of the same amount of work.

That's how sharing/uploading works. Otherwise keep it your own private stuff so you don't have to mess with any of these.

Last edited:
I do not see what a list of names is going to do for anyone, most people will have no idea who they are in the first place. Is getting credit in this situation really that important? I would understand if I was claiming to make these models but it's just a collection of ones that are publicly available for download.

I am not going to do this for each model individually but I have added a list of the authors responsible for most of the models in the pack in the original post. If anyone really wants to know the author of a specific model they can easily message me and I will figure it out for them.

Last edited:

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Thanks for the pack, I'll download it, post it again and tell people that I made it. Who cares anyway, right?

It's simply about being gentle and respectful towards people who put their time and sweat into this work.

Instead of being a jerk, you could've simply stated "I'm afraid I don't have the contacts of the respectful creators of these models, I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me how I can contact them. I do not mean to devalue their work and I am simply excited to share my pack with the public. Thank you in advance". You still can and you should. You would want me to contact you before I put MY name on YOUR pack, right?

P.S. The pack looks quite cool btw, will try it out :)

Last edited:
That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? Like I said, I haven't claimed to make any of these models and am quite open if anyone asks if I have made them, that I have not. Your scenario isn't even close in comparison. I would assume those same people would enjoy seeing their work spread around and actually put to use. I haven't claimed any of these models as my own. If you wanted to share this pack I would have absolutely zero problem with it. I wouldn't care if you gave me credit or not as long as you weren't passing it off as your own work, I would just be glad to see it being used.

But thanks :)

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Your scenario isn't even close in comparison.
It is closer than you think it is. The amount of times I've seen excuses, or ways to weasel like you are doing now, when people take my work, is not an insignificant amount. People have literally taken content I have made, posted it on artstation without a single bit of credit whatsoever, and then used that to get jobs in the gaming industry even though they literally made nothing. You might not see what you are doing is that bad, but it gets worse every time its done. Someone sees your pack, then combines some things from your pack into another pack and things get lost along the way. You have to actively be sure to give people proper attribution and can actually effect peoples chances at getting into actual dev teams. People are so willing to yoink shit that you have to stand above that. I have had to actively DMCA my content in other places because people HAVE stolen it to use it as part of their portfolios in order to get jobs. It is just an example of why not asking permission, and giving proper credit, can harm the actual people spending hundreds of hours creating these things.

If someone asks me for permission to port something I made, I make sure I at least give them the names of the other people that contributed in some way, or give them contact information if I still have it. Its a morals, ethics, and respect thing.

While you might not have done something anywhere near as bad as the case of people I mentioned, it is still incredibly important to do those steps to keep the modding community healthy.

A few of the models that I had made just last year for an RP community are showing up in this mod. Edits to textures that I made are also in there. While yes I didn't make the assets from scratch myself I did put work into kitbashing and doing my own minor edits to ensure that they worked. Two that come to mind already are Ikemba and Narla inside of that pack which were made for the same community- and I can find quite a few others.

I personally don't care about receiving credit as they were just a few kitbash projects with the Narla one being a gift to one of my friends and I won't lie and say I gave credit for any of the former models- but when public releases are made such as this and it isn't friend projects or even partial forum posts to where you can tell people who made the edits and then see if the pipeline can be traveled to the original creator, than yeah you should try to at least try to add to the credits. I saw you did add a few though which is a good start!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here since I looked through this and saw Narla right on the front and was curious why that and a few of my more personal model edits were on the page.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired

Well the people porting models certainly did more work than you sitting there unwilling to even mention their name. In the end though it doesn't really matter if you think it's a waste of time. If you don't bother trying to add credits then it doesn't get to be advertised here. It's as simple as that.

I'm removing the download link until you at least give a best effort to credit the content.

Hey there,

Thought I'd drop by. Was a little surprised seeing one of my OC's in a public pack, with edits that I'm impartial about (I mean they kinda look okay, but I'm not the biggest fan?).
I appreciate you coming around and putting my name under the credits, but I would like to request the removal of 'Cidney' from the pack, if you plan to release this publicly. I probably should've thought about it more, but from our conversations, I had no idea you were making a public pack for people to download. I am, however, totally fine with you using the Inquisitor Cal, so you can continue to use that if you so wish.

Yeah who would’ve thought people would be so concerned over the gratification of being given “credit” in an addon pack of models for an 18 year old game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.