1.4 Open Beta General Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only managed to clock in three hours with the beta thus far. In regards to general gameplay I haven't had much time to use many classes outside of jedi/sith. Out of the changes done my favourite is that lighting is finally viable. In the past lighting was useless compared to its cost. I find this upgrade highlights the difference between Jedi and Sith in regards to their use of the force. Jedi traditionally being more defensive/tactical through mind trick and speed and sith by contrast being more aggressive with grip and lighting, which prior to this build felt kind of underpowered compared to jedi in open.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Fails to launch, error log in spoiler.
Looks like the rd-vanilla-mbii_x86.dll file that came with the fix for menu and in game sensitivity fix is outdated compared to the openjk build, at least that's what I'm getting from this error log.

EDIT: Used the rd-vanilla-mbii_x86.dll file from the 1.4 beta patch RAR archive and the game launches, menu and ingame sensitivity is broken again, crosshair/camera is also not fixed still moves like crazy when strafing even with thirdpersoncameradamp & crosshairdamp at 1.

OpenJK-MP: v1.0.1.0 win_msvc-x86 Mar 10 2016
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\OpenJK\MBIIBeta
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\z_MB_BaseAssets.pk3 (14 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\zz_MBModels2.pk3 (4255 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\zz_MBModels.pk3 (1765 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MB_Effects.pk3 (686 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MBII_Mac.pk3 (2 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MBII.pk3 (4 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MBHilts.pk3 (791 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MBAssets3.pk3 (2136 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MBAssets2.pk3 (1740 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\MBAssets.pk3 (623 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_um_assets3.pk3 (1059 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_um_assets2.pk3 (3497 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_um_assets.pk3 (1110 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_tradefed.pk3 (299 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_theed.pk3 (94 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_sdestroyer.pk3 (128 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_republiccruiser.pk3 (639 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_lunarbase.pk3 (57 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_kamino.pk3 (364 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_jeditemple.pk3 (414 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_echobase.pk3 (91 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_duel_senate.pk3 (71 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_dotf.pk3 (267 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_deathstar.pk3 (346 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_commtower.pk3 (255 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_cmp_assets3.pk3 (959 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_cmp_assets2.pk3 (2480 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_cmp_assets.pk3 (1842 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\mb2_cloudcity.pk3 (272 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\FAMBModels.pk3 (1395 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\03_MovieGameMappack.pk3 (6325 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\031_MovieGameMappack.pk3 (2107 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\02_MovieGameMappack.pk3 (2692 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta\01_MovieGameMappack.pk3 (3200 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\MBIIBeta
C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base

----------------------
65723 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
execing openjk.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load "rd-vanilla-mbii_x86.dll" from "."...
Mismatched REF_API_VERSION: expected 5, got 8
Couldn't initialize refresh
Oh, I forgot about that issue. Can you try again with rd-vanilla-mbii_x86.dll deleted?

Too many posts, so I didn't read them all, but how is a jedi/sith supposed to fight against flinch? (I only experienced the matchup from gunner side) You can't instantly swingblock, so if a bullet hits you before you could press your block button then you get flinched right? It seems to me that if the gunner has perfect aim the force user can't swing. I had a fight where I rushed a sith with e-11, sith flinched 3-4 times and died looking completely helpless.

Also on Monday I played on deathstar, and I recall jedi/sith jumping through the ceiling at side corridor. Anyone else experienced this bug?

EDIT: yes you can even jump up and camp on walls at side corridor on DS
EDIT2: wook can't exit the elevators at spawn, you're stucked to an invisible wall, you can get out with jump though

Last edited:

DarthDementous

US Official Server Admin
it seems that there's two unintentional issues that should receive major intention because I'm fairly sure neither of these are intended:

1. Multiple areas on Death Star have no clipping on ceilings meaning you can jump straight up and get outside of the map. I experienced this phenomenon in the side corridor before imps go out on the catwalk and the room before the stairs leading up to the control room. I have a feeling there's more instances of this.

2. Super-push doesn't work any more. this could be a result of allowing people to 'roll into walls' (an old feature I believe, I at least remember it maybe in early RC3) because even if you're right next to a wall and super-push someone there's no damage done at all. you're no longer able to splatter them and combine this with the push distance it makes for an overall very useless ability for what should be a stable for people only using force. there's no way to kill someone with the force now as a Jedi unless you use the dreaded repulse.

now here's a complaint about something that I know was changed on purpose:

1. Nerfing push distance doesn't seem the right way to handle stopping it from being abused. as others have pointed out this change has made it useless and over-powered in unexpected ways. this has done nothing to stop push spam which I guess I'm more susceptible to with 250+ ping but I feel that the range needs to be nerfed, rather than the distance. pushing someone over with less of a distance means its easier for them to get to you and chop you up as well as reducing the fun-factor of being able to push people off ledges.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
2. Super-push doesn't work any more. this could be a result of allowing people to 'roll into walls' (an old feature I believe, I at least remember it maybe in early RC3) because even if you're right next to a wall and super-push someone there's no damage done at all. you're no longer able to splatter them and combine this with the push distance it makes for an overall very useless ability for what should be a stable for people only using force. there's no way to kill someone with the force now as a Jedi unless you use the dreaded repulse.

now here's a complaint about something that I know was changed on purpose:

1. Nerfing push distance doesn't seem the right way to handle stopping it from being abused. as others have pointed out this change has made it useless and over-powered in unexpected ways. this has done nothing to stop push spam which I guess I'm more susceptible to with 250+ ping but I feel that the range needs to be nerfed, rather than the distance. pushing someone over with less of a distance means its easier for them to get to you and chop you up as well as reducing the fun-factor of being able to push people off ledges.

I've used regular super push a couple of times in the open beta and people died upon hitting a wall. Unless pressing crouch while being super pushed has some effect on this, I'm pretty sure it's unchanged.

The push distance was only nerfed while people are crouching. What exactly about this has made it useless? You couldn't knockdown crouching people before anyway, so knocking them down over a shorter distance isn't an issue. This is only really a nerf in places full of ledges which are already very jedi/sith biased anyway.

Also, I like flinch, but it's really hard to tell how the balance is from the gunner side as aiming is really wonky with the extra dynamic crosshair sway that a lot of people have been reporting. This definitely isn't placebo, you can see how huge the difference is in crosshair movement when switching between the open beta and current version.

EDIT: Actually, I just went to check out the crosshair again and see if changing any settings would fix it, but it appears to be fixed without changing any of my settings. Was there a ninja fix for this?

Last edited:

DarthDementous

US Official Server Admin
I've used regular super push a couple of times in the open beta and people died upon hitting a wall. Unless pressing crouch while being super pushed has some effect on this, I'm pretty sure it's unchanged.

The push distance was only nerfed while people are crouching. What exactly about this has made it useless? You couldn't knockdown crouching people before anyway, so knocking them down over a shorter distance isn't an issue. This is only really a nerf in places full of ledges which are already very jedi/sith biased anyway.

Also, I like flinch, but it's really hard to tell how the balance is from the gunner side as aiming is really wonky with the extra dynamic crosshair sway that a lot of people have been reporting. This definitely isn't placebo, you can see how huge the difference is in crosshair movement when switching between the open beta and current version.

EDIT: Actually, I just went to check out the crosshair again and see if changing any settings would fix it, but it appears to be fixed without changing any of my settings. Was there a ninja fix for this?
bizarre, because I tried with a friend repeatedly on Jedi Temple and he didn't die once, definitely not crouching either. I think the crouch detection may be a little wonky because I'm seeing push with greatly reduced distances when the person is clearly standing.

also, a little bit more pressing: I keep getting kicked from open beta servers for not having the beta launcher running, despite me launching it from Steam and keeping it going.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I've given some thought for flinch and here is my piece:

I rly like the mechanic, but for such short play with small amount of ppl it is very hard to say if the nerf was just right (nerf for saberist) or too much. In my opinion tho, I think we removed TOO much from the saberist. Flinch is basically a buff for gunners from what I could see, so it nerfed saberists. When you also add the fact that the perks against gunners were removed too, it once again takes a lot stuff away from the saberist. All that they got was dmg reduce buff and I am not sure if that is answer to our problem. It is a bit boring buff, while perks brought these tiny little spices that you could use to modify your saberist build exactly the way you liked. 1.4 limits and narrows the choices a lot. Variety, at least to me is one of the most important things in this game, and we are removing them right now.

I'd say keep the perks. Staff and duals had good perks. Purple was a bit op, but it isn't a bad idea for a perk, if it could be adjusted a little (for example purple not having the perk's effects when using deflect-ability). Obviously red perk is no longer needed for saberist due to the dmg reduce buff. I didn't like blue perk since that kick was op in the first place. For cyan I don't have much to say since I never rly used it (and hardly fought against it as a gunner), so I guess the perk wasn't op at least. So basically all we need to do is come up with new perks for red and blue, not sure what to do with yellow style since it never had a perk.

So basically:
Keep most of the perks against gunners (or adjust them/come up with new ones), maybe nerf the dmg reduce from the current one in 1.4, not sure. Keeping the perks can't be too bad, ppl still play the game in 1.3 even without flinch. Now that flinch is going to nerf the saberist, I think removing perks is overkill, and replacing perks with a universal dmg reduce is a boring answer which takes the variety away that perks brought for this game.

EDIT: since taking a walk is the best way to brainstorm, I came up with his:

How about a system of pro & cons, where yellow (at least this style) is neutral with no pros nor cons. But duals and staff for example; you get the current perk but the dmg reduce is removed. Red gets even bigger dmg reduce, but you are as slow as strength 2 wookiee (a big con, maybe make red cheaper?) Ofc this would only apply when you are holding the style. This would also make yellow a very important base style while others are for modification of one's play style. So you can hold yellow and enjoy no cons and at right times switch to another style (just one example of how to play, yellow still isn't necessary). This takes a lot gameplay wisdom and skill. The variety that this style of gamplay brings would be huge, you will always be able to weigh your options to what you are fighting against, or have all-around build which doesn't excell in any situation, but neither suck completely in any situation.

Oh yeah and one more thing: these perks dont exist in duel mode

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.