•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Launcher on linux.

1664718808748.png

Getting back into MB2 under Linux, I found myself surprised by the fact it now requires the launcher. My Linux meets the launcher requirements; but where is the launcher binary? I only managed to find a windows executable.

Solution
Behold: MB2 over SSH over a microwave. Best of thanks to Spaghetti and Bully.
1664991316984.png

tldr: There were two very shameful and stupid problems in my installation: some symlinks to x32 libs were actually pointed at x64 libs and I didn't really have a /base folder at all.
Amazon Linux 2 x64, all runs smooth.
I am deploying MB2 client on x64_86 Linux as according to suggestions on the downloads page: I swapped the .nopp library and tried to launch the game with the x32 OJK client or mbii.i386 executable from the shipment. Both crash:
(FS startup skipped)
----------------------
93159 files in pk3 files
execing mpdefault.cfg
execing openjk.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load "rd-vanilla_i386.so" from "."...
QKEY found.
SDL using driver "x11"
Initializing display
Display aspect: 1.250
...setting mode 4: 800 600
Using 24 color bits, 24 depth, 8 stencil display.
Available modes: '1280x1024'
tty]Segmentation fault (core dumped)

But then x64 OJK runs MBII just fine, until I connect to the server. Then, after loading's done, I get dropped with an insightful and informative console message:

I do have multiarch, it works and all the i386 libraries are installed. How do I actually run and play MB2?

View attachment 7093
Getting back into MB2 under Linux, I found myself surprised by the fact it now requires the launcher. My Linux meets the launcher requirements; but where is the launcher binary? I only managed to find a windows executable.
1664721766897.png

I don't know much about linux based MBII Client installs but make sure you checked this out at least:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Getting back into MB2 under Linux, I found myself surprised by the fact it now requires the launcher
It doesn't though. You can use the command line updater to install but it's not required.

I am deploying MB2 client on x64_86 Linux as according to suggestions on the downloads page: I swapped the .nopp library and tried to launch the game with the x32 OJK client or mbii.i386 executable from the shipment. Both crash:

But then x64 OJK runs MBII just fine, until I connect to the server. Then, after loading's done, I get dropped with an insightful and informative console message:

I do have multiarch, it works and all the i386 libraries are installed. How do I actually run and play MB2?
I have no idea what steps you've followed but it's clear something is missing. And no, you can't run MB2 with a 64-bit engine build. You haven't even stated what Linux distro you're using so I'm not sure what help you're hoping for.

Code:
Trying to load "rd-vanilla_i386.so" from "."...
EDIT: This is the wrong renderer. I'm betting you tried to load vanilla OpenJK first before using the MBII build. You can resolve this by deleting the openjk.cfg in the MBII folder or modifying the cl_renderer setting to use the correct .so. Then use mbii.i386.

Config files are stored in ~/.local/share/openjk

Last edited:
You haven't even stated what Linux distro you're using so I'm not sure what help you're hoping for.
The distro is Amazon Linux 2. Your response about the launcher and the rendered was exactly the kind of help I have been hoping for, thank you very much! Sadly, with the right config and renderer it still segfaults.

View attachment 7094
I don't know much about linux based MBII Client installs but make sure you checked this out at least:
Thank you just as much! I shall get a proper i386 Debian distro, make a clean install according to instructions and return to you soon.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It should be possible to make work using Debian but you will need to figure out package dependencies on your own. That guide only covers Ubuntu for clients and Ubuntu/CentOS/Redhat for servers. I've also heard of people getting clients to work on Arch, but it does not appear anyone has bothered making a guide.

Behold: MB2 over SSH over a microwave. Best of thanks to Spaghetti and Bully.
1664991316984.png

tldr: There were two very shameful and stupid problems in my installation: some symlinks to x32 libs were actually pointed at x64 libs and I didn't really have a /base folder at all.
Amazon Linux 2 x64, all runs smooth.

Solution