Dueling Sucks

As an avid dueler myself, who has been playing for about ~4 years, I believe I have a say in the mechanics of what is probably considered the main attraction for this mod. Now with that said, I would like to start the discussion on why I believe dueling in its current state is boring and unskilled and then give feedback on what could be improved. First off, I am going to talk about the various saber styles, and I think everyone here can agree yellow is by far the most popular. So why is that? Its because it is the only relevant saber style that does everything better than any other saber style. Sure, its swings are a bit predictable and you would think skilled players could easily just pb, but let me introduce you to some cancerous mechanics. Swing Blocking and ghost swings. Because of these mechanics, saber swing speed doesn't actually matter, making cyan and blue useless as yellow does far more bp damage and outranges every other style. Duels are not about skill with the saber, its about skill with your reload button and holding the block button. This mechanic, when I first started learning to duel, was so bad that I thought it was a bug. But no, it's a feature the devs have implemented. Not having to worry about being knocked down just because your holding the block button while swinging should not exist, this feature only encourages spamming the m1 button while holding m2. Now about ghost swinging (I call it that), your essentially ending a swing early, but still hitting your opponent, allowing you to swing faster than should be possible. These yellow style users legit abusing this mechanic and swinging their yellow sabers around like its cyan, a mechanic that further solidifies yellow as the only viable saber against anyone who knows how to duel. I for one, am tired of seeing yellow vs yellow duels, and believe it is time for a rework of the dueling mechanics and a rework of the other saber styles to be more on par with yellow. This will encourage diversity in the dueling scene, allow more matchups, and overall increase the complexity and fun of dueling. One more mechanic that is completely unnecessary is the disarm. I don't see how being able to instantly end a duel just by disarming is a fun and balanced mechanic, and makes the game impossible to play when you meet someone whos probably running a disarm script and just sitting there, not attacking, just blocking, fishing for disarms. Very unfun. This post was made by cyan and purple gang.

Well I don't mind dueling that much, its fun at times until people starting doing really wonky swings and movements with their swings,

Like I've seen people abuse the swing of heavy 2 (I'm color blind so I keep calling it the wrong color) by either doing one of 3 things.(call it a Strat I guess? but its really not fun to fight)

1. They flick their mouse all over the place with their swing so it looks like they're spazzing out when they are doing a swing to land a cheep shot so you cant PB that easily.
2. they face hug you so their swings hit before even doing the full swing animation and you still lose the full amount of BP for it
3. they semi abuse the hitbox for blocks and Swing by swinging while, not facing you by standing on their side and swing at you, swinging while turning all the way around where their back hits you (not that common but people get pretty sweaty in duels lol)

Also the Melee boost you get for landing more aggressive swings on your opponent is kind of annoying where; if you're having a good fleshed out duel that doesn't last 5 seconds, who ever swings more or does That 3 swing combo on you will get it then just nukes your BP in 2 swings. Ive had this happen to me tons of times when im dueling someone then have to be defensive when gunners start showing up. dude gets a lot more swings in and gets the boost, i run of to get my BP fully back and he throws 2 swings and all my bp is gone.
I get its meant for people who just only block in duels but no one really does that from what I see and deal with

to add on, Heavy 1 and 2 have semi wonky swing Animations.

I don't fight the heavy stances that much because not many like using it but when I do, the way some of the swings come out are really weird to block. For instance; If you see a swing start from the bottom left of the guy then it goes for a swing from his top left. Or a swing coming from top right that ends on a swing thats on your right. ( I could be bad because i am still but that's just annoying to deal with imo lol and i do wanna work fighting people with those stances)

But you did state a few things that are annoying that i agree with

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Play red for like 3 hours and youll find it only has like 4 or 5 decent combos. then pbing it becomes pretty easy

Eazy E

Banned
As an avid dueler myself, who has been playing for about ~4 years, I believe I have a say in the mechanics of what is probably considered the main attraction for this mod. Now with that said, I would like to start the discussion on why I believe dueling in its current state is boring and unskilled and then give feedback on what could be improved. First off, I am going to talk about the various saber styles, and I think everyone here can agree yellow is by far the most popular. So why is that? Its because it is the only relevant saber style that does everything better than any other saber style. Sure, its swings are a bit predictable and you would think skilled players could easily just pb, but let me introduce you to some cancerous mechanics. Swing Blocking and ghost swings. Because of these mechanics, saber swing speed doesn't actually matter, making cyan and blue useless as yellow does far more bp damage and outranges every other style. Duels are not about skill with the saber, its about skill with your reload button and holding the block button. This mechanic, when I first started learning to duel, was so bad that I thought it was a bug. But no, it's a feature the devs have implemented. Not having to worry about being knocked down just because your holding the block button while swinging should not exist, this feature only encourages spamming the m1 button while holding m2. Now about ghost swinging (I call it that), your essentially ending a swing early, but still hitting your opponent, allowing you to swing faster than should be possible. These yellow style users legit abusing this mechanic and swinging their yellow sabers around like its cyan, a mechanic that further solidifies yellow as the only viable saber against anyone who knows how to duel. I for one, am tired of seeing yellow vs yellow duels, and believe it is time for a rework of the dueling mechanics and a rework of the other saber styles to be more on par with yellow. This will encourage diversity in the dueling scene, allow more matchups, and overall increase the complexity and fun of dueling. One more mechanic that is completely unnecessary is the disarm. I don't see how being able to instantly end a duel just by disarming is a fun and balanced mechanic, and makes the game impossible to play when you meet someone whos probably running a disarm script and just sitting there, not attacking, just blocking, fishing for disarms. Very unfun. This post was made by cyan and purple gang.
Read:

Because you obviously don't understand how duelling works.

As an avid dueler myself, who has been playing for about ~4 years, I believe I have a say in the mechanics of what is probably considered the main attraction for this mod.

dont presume watched many beta testers and community members with far more experience than you get baited into bans for their opinions and beliefs regarding the game and its mechanics. want change? text posts meaningless, post dev team application and suffer through the devs if you have the stomach for it.

Well said, stupid people here will defend the combat by saying there are certain styles, but there's only so much variation you can have with just yellow. Using any other stance in a tournament duel is asking to be destroyed or get called bad when you introduce staff into your fighting variation just because you want to have some variety into your duels instead of repeating the same movements just to win. 😴

ez way to make game funner is to remove yellow style entirely and anyone who disagrees is a yellow style user

itd be nice if yellow was a tiny bit slower and duals did slightly less damage (or had lower def than purp style).
both of these changes might allow for the other more awkward styles like purple, staff, and cyan to see more success

currently if you try to use only cyan/purple you will have an incredibly hard time taking out a duelist of equal skill who's using yellow or god forbid duals