Updated MBII Client (mbii.x86.exe) Testing (Windows)

redsaurus

Movie Battles II Team Retired
The MBII client (mbii.x86.exe) is a version of OpenJK (the source can be found at MBII/OpenJK), but has ended up rather out of date compared to "real" OpenJK. It's now been updated and before it goes out through the updater it'd be good to have some of you check that it works correctly.

Replace the files in GameData with the ones from the zip. If the launcher complains about files needing to be updated just ignore it (at least until there really is an update).

It should require the same version of the MSVC redistributables as the rest of MBII now, so there shouldn't be any requirements to use it.

Any information on it working / not working / behaving strangely would be helpful!

Issues you might be having:

The console font text is now tiny.

More recent versions of OpenJK are set up so that by default mbii.x86.exe handles high DPI screen resolutions natively, rather than Windows reporting a lower screen resolution to the MBII Client. This means that by default you'll have access to your full native resolution. However, this means that the console font text may now be smaller, and since MBII Client is running at a higher resolution performance may be worse.

If you want to return to the old behaviour, where the resolution is scaled down based on Windows high DPI settings, you can change the high DPI settings for the mbii.x86.exe executable. Go to the Compatibility tab of the Properties window for mbii.x86.exe and click on Change high DPI settings. Check the Override high DPI scaling behaviour box and set scaling to be performed by System.

settings.png

Attachments

• new-mbii-openjk.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Funny I was just trying to get an updated build for Linux running but so far fail at that and came upon this while searching for info.
Could you give instructions and/or produce a new binary for Linux, too?

What I did was patch all the MBII specific changes that are in the MBII fork of OpenJK repo vs the OpenJK one

Compile and give it a go but when I launch the new binary I will end up in a stock JA menu UI in the end and joining MBII servers will not work either.

EDIT: Progress: When I copied MBII/uii386.so to MBII/ui.so where the freshly compiled bin seems to look for an ui.so instead of a uii386.so I get the MBII menu and was even able to create a game. However config pathes seem to be different a bit (controls were off to my usual setup) and what is worse the server list was empty (likely wrong MasterServer or with wrong settings yet filtering for MBII games which are not found or something).

OK same had to be done for cgamei386.so I see the pattern of the suffixed architecture that is missing.
For the servers just had to click source to have it cycle to local and then internet.
Now it is just using some other config files. Looks like I am nearly set. \o/

Hmm, for some reason it recreated/overwrote my original config. I had an old backup, so not such a big deal.

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Has widescreen been fixed with this?

redsaurus

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Funny I was just trying to get an updated build for Linux running but so far fail at that and came upon this while searching for info.
Could you give instructions and/or produce a new binary for Linux, too?

What I did was patch all the MBII specific changes that are in the MBII fork of OpenJK repo vs the OpenJK one

Compile and give it a go but when I launch the new binary I will end up in a stock JA menu UI in the end and joining MBII servers will not work either.

EDIT: Progress: When I copied MBII/uii386.so to MBII/ui.so where the freshly compiled bin seems to look for an ui.so instead of a uii386.so I get the MBII menu and was even able to create a game. However config pathes seem to be different a bit (controls were off to my usual setup) and what is worse the server list was empty (likely wrong MasterServer or with wrong settings yet filtering for MBII games which are not found or something).

OK same had to be done for cgamei386.so I see the pattern of the suffixed architecture that is missing.
For the servers just had to click source to have it cycle to local and then internet.
Now it is just using some other config files. Looks like I am nearly set. \o/

Hmm, for some reason it recreated/overwrote my original config. I had an old backup, so not such a big deal.

The newopenjk branch of the MBII OpenJK fork should have all the changes of latest OpenJK (and so won't need to be added to OpenJK) but it sounds like you managed to get it working anyway. We weren't planning to distribute an updated build for Linux with the next patch, but hopefully for a future one.

Has widescreen been fixed with this?

No, widescreen aspect ratio fixes are still jamp only for now. The majority of widescreen fixes can be made to work independently of engine (so independently of jamp vs OpenJK vs MBII client), except for font drawing and the minimap which we handle specially for jamp.

I'm hoping that in a future patch the font drawing will be brought into mod code to avoid engine dependence there - there's been some progress on this but it needs to be tested before it can go out into public. The minimap will need changes to the MBII client, and this updated client was just about making sure that it had all of the OpenJK fixes over the past 3 years.

EDIT: I'd expect widescreen support in the patch after next.

Last edited: