How to play?

I’m a new player and I want to download this but I have a few questions first since I’m torn between simply buying it for my original Xbox or from steam or just PC in general.

1. Do I need a steam downloaded version of this game in order to download this mod for it and play with others online? Or is just owning the PC version and installing it enough?

2. Can I use a controller for gameplay instead of keyboard? I’m no stranger to PC games but since I’ve only ever played this on console I’d prefer to keep it as close to that experience as possible. If so I’d like to use an Xbox style controller but anything will do if need be.

3. Can I still play the campaign of the game even with this installation downloaded? I’m assuming I can but I do tend to overthink so I just want to make sure I can still get the full experience of the game plus the great online multiplayer feature this version has to offer.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
1. The mod and the game both work online with any retail/GoG/steam copy of the game. There's no cross platform play with the Xbox version, and this mod (nor any other mods) cannot be played on the Xbox version.

2. You CAN play with a controller, but I would definitely advise against it (at least for multiplayer) as you'll be at a massive disadvantage against other players. There's a guide to setting up controllers here: [Guide] How to use PS4/Xbox One controller for MBII

3. Yes, you can still play the base game (both vanilla SP and MP) with the mod installed.

1. The mod and the game both work online with any retail/GoG/steam copy of the game. There's no cross platform play with the Xbox version, and this mod (nor any other mods) cannot be played on the Xbox version.

2. You CAN play with a controller, but I would definitely advise against it (at least for multiplayer) as you'll be at a massive disadvantage against other players. There's a guide to setting up controllers here: [Guide] How to use PS4/Xbox One controller for MBII

3. Yes, you can still play the base game (both vanilla SP and MP) with the mod installed.

Do you mind if I ask about the potential disadvantage of using a controller to which you’re referring? If that’s the case it may be easier and more fun for me to simply use a keyboard and mouse.

And thank you for letting me know all that! So I can definitely play this so long as I have any PC version of the game installed.

Do you mind if I ask about the potential disadvantage of using a controller to which you’re referring? If that’s the case it may be easier and more fun for me to simply use a keyboard and mouse.

And thank you for letting me know all that! So I can definitely play this so long as I have any PC version of the game installed.
Controllers are bad for shooters? I mean that should be common knowledge. I guess it can be okay if you only play Jedi/Sith...

You will get annihilated if you use a controller. You would barely be able to mblock or pblock meaning you would pretty much lose every duel. There are lots of stuff you need to bind and lots of keys you need to press at the same time while dueling it just wouldn't work with a controller. Keyboard is also good to type in game for console commands and mouse is better than joystick for aiming.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Do you mind if I ask about the potential disadvantage of using a controller to which you’re referring?
Mostly that the speed and accuracy you can get from aiming with a mouse can't be achieved to the same degree with an analog stick. If you're used to playing shooters with a controller and you just want some quick casual fun in multiplayer, you probably won't mind. But if you find yourself getting annoyed at how easily other players are out-shooting you, its probably because 99% of the playerbase uses a keyboard+mouse.

Also, the number of available buttons on a controller could be an issue. I know viable control schemes exist for the vanilla game (since it was on Xbox), but this mod uses more keys (at bare minimum 3 more) than the vanilla game. Some of the unique button combinations the mod introduces may be uncomfortable/awkward on a controller as well. Additionally, the game has no built in voice chat. The in-game "voice chat" is prerecorded lines selected with a button and then 1-9 number keys. Typing is the main mode of communication (not that communication is necessary to play casually, and you can keep a keyboard nearby regardless).

I see, since I’m not used to playing PC shooters I’m afraid it wasn’t common knowledge to me but I recognize that with the added features it would make it a totally different play style from the vanilla game. Thank you all for your input, it’s greatly appreciated.

If you ever have difficulties learning to aim, remember to ask any friendly Russians you come across if you can borrow their third party 'aim-assist' and if they're nice enough maybe they'll even give you x-ray eyes ;)
Always ask players that go under the name Padawan and Padawan [1]

Last edited:
If you ever have difficulties learning to aim, remember to ask any friendly Russians you come across if you can borrow their third party 'aim-assist' and if they're nice enough maybe they'll even give you x-ray eyes ;)
Always ask players that go under the name Padawan and Padawan [1]
and Nightshades

imgur album YVBGbwl