[Guide] How to use PS4/Xbox One controller for MBII

I couldn't find any topics here that had a perfect solution on this matter, so I've decided to make this post for any of you players who may have been seeking to play MBII with a controller.

If you're using an Xbox 360/Xbox One controller, just skip this first step.
1. If you're using a PS4 controller, you need to download this DS4 Tool
It's super simple. Just plug your PS4 controller into your PC via USB, then execute the program.
33wtg1w.png

If done correctly, the ID of your controller will be recognized.

Now that PS4 controller is being identified as an Xbox 360/Xbox One controller, we can move to your last step.
2. You will now need to download this Pinnacle Game Profiler.
Simply install the program and execute it once the installation is complete.
1zeaumg.png

Your menu should look something like, but not quite.
That's because you have to download the Jedi Academy profile by clicking on the text in blue that says "PGP Download Menu"
2enz58y.png

Simply download the Jedi Academy profile and you're good to go!

From there:
- Make sure the device is recognized as an Xbox 360 Controller
- Simply hit the PLAY button before booting mbii.x86
- All analog inputs are correctly configured; Button mapping is for you to adjust as you please.

NOTE:
MAKE SURE you load MBII through the mbii.x86 executable, rather than the MBII launcher. For some reason, the launcher will not connect the controller.
Simply boot the mbii.x86 exe which can be found in the data folder, then once Jedi Academy loads, head to setup>mods>MBII>launch

Reactions: ent
I couldn't find any topics here that had a perfect solution on this matter, so I've decided to make this post for any of you players who may have been seeking to play MBII with a controller.

If you're using an Xbox 360/Xbox One controller, just skip this first step.
1. If you're using a PS4 controller, you need to download this DS4 Tool
It's super simple. Just plug your PS4 controller into your PC via USB, then execute the program.
33wtg1w.png

If done correctly, the ID of your controller will be recognized.

Now that PS4 controller is being identified as an Xbox 360/Xbox One controller, we can move to your last step.
2. You will now need to download this Pinnacle Game Profiler.
Simply install the program and execute it once the installation is complete.
1zeaumg.png

Your menu should look something like, but not quite.
That's because you have to download the Jedi Academy profile by clicking on the text in blue that says "PGP Download Menu"
2enz58y.png

Simply download the Jedi Academy profile and you're good to go!

From there:
- Make sure the device is recognized as an Xbox 360 Controller
- Simply hit the PLAY button before booting mbii.x86
- All analog inputs are correctly configured; Button mapping is for you to adjust as you please.

NOTE:
MAKE SURE you load MBII through the mbii.x86 executable, rather than the MBII launcher. For some reason, the launcher will not connect the controller.
Simply boot the mbii.x86 exe which can be found in the data folder, then once Jedi Academy loads, head to setup>mods>MBII>launch
So what's the plus side, I feel like it would be 100 times harder to play with a controller

play MBII with a controller.

y tho

Are you one of those crazy ass, hippie, commie loving, degenerate masochist freaks that bought Quake 3 Arena on console? And now you're trying to force your sick, twisted ways on the rest of us!?

8f5.gif

QUAKE 3 REVOLUTION WAS A MISTAKE

Last edited:
So what's the plus side, I feel like it would be 100 times harder to play with a controller

It might be harder for some players, but I'd say it's more so just a play-style preference.
Personally, I had a hard time with keyboard, and controller seems to be helping me tremendously.

Correction: left analog only has two set stages (walking and running), but seems to work fine for me.
The right analog is mapped to mouse control, meaning the camera speed rotates according to the tilt of the analog's angle, which makes the r-analog full range.

I honestly think the whole "controller is harder" aspect of things is more on the opinion side; it really just depends on the player.
Again, It's probably more so a preferred play-style that may work for some, but not for others.

I'd definitely say that if you're use to playing the game on keyboard, then it'd most likely be harder to adapt to controller, so that might be why people think so.

y tho

Are you one of those crazy ass, hippie, commie loving, degenerate masochist freaks that bought Quake 3 Arena on console? And now you're trying to force your sick, twisted ways on the rest of us!?

8f5.gif

QUAKE 3 REVOLUTION WAS A MISTAKE

I grew up with with Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy on the original Xbox, so I'm use to controller inputs.

also LOL omg it's JanTran.

Last edited:

No point in playing with controller here though, except for novelty, I guess. You'd never be able to outpace somebody with a mouse on MB2 using a controller, the requirement for very small, precise movements and the leading for shooting would at least make playing as a gunner vs mouse gunners just near impossible.

also ye lolo janetreein amirite haha removed from yooka laylee amirite haehuheurhe

Last edited:
No point in playing with controller here though, except for novelty, I guess. You'd never be able to outpace somebody with a mouse on MB2 using a controller, the requirement for very small precision movements and the leading for shooting would at least playing as a gunner vs mouse gunners just near impossible.

Ah.

also ye lolo janetreein amirite haha removed from yooka laylee amirite haehuheurhe
rip jantran. we all know he was removed for that remark of his about breath of the wild. w8 wat.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I do also think controller is way too imprecise and clunky for some of the stuff required in this game, but you're welcome to prove me wrong. I would hazard a guess that controller suits saberist better than gunner (because gunner requires so much precision), but you'd need to have the sensitivity pretty high to be able to PB with any kind of consistency, cuz PBing is a lot of high speed flicking-around.

Also, it's worth noting that this particular configuration gives the analogs full range, meaning the left analog when tilted makes the character walk, and full crank makes the character run.

That doesn't sound especially like "full range" analog. It sounds like it has two distinct stages, rather than, for example, your movement speed increasing gradually as you tilt the stick further. It does sound kinda cool though, although I feel like there's a risk of running when you meant to walk and getting pushed over and killed, but it can probably be adjusted to. you can probably get really consistent at walking/running consistently. But, just thinking about the motion required: it sounds like it would forever be harder to do: walking while using extremely brief bursts of running to dodge attacks. (important for anti-saberist). The motion and precision required for that sounds like it would be exhausting for your thumb, and imprecise.

all that being said, it does sound kind of intriguing and i tend to enjoy adjusting to unfamiliar control schemes so i might try it. Does the movement analog let you move at arbitrary angles? (like: angles between diagonals). or does the stick just get remapped to the 8 directions available with WASD.

Last edited:
I do also think controller is way too imprecise and clunky for some of the stuff required in this game, but you're welcome to prove me wrong. I would hazard a guess that controller suits saberist better than gunner (because gunner requires so much precision), but you'd need to have the sensitivity pretty high to be able to PB with any kind of consistency, cuz PBing is a lot of high speed flicking-around.

As a saberist, I can confirm that it suits that gameplay-style greatly, albeit I haven't actually tested this with any other class admittedly.
Sensitivity is adjustable, and works fine on my end.

That doesn't sound especially like "full range" analog. It sounds like it has two distinct stages, rather than, for example, your movement speed increasing gradually as you tilt the stick further. It does sound kinda cool though, although I feel like there's a risk of running when you meant to walk and getting pushed over and killed, but it can probably be adjusted to. you can probably get really consistent at walking/running consistently. But, just thinking about the motion required: it sounds like it would forever be harder to do: walking while using extremely brief bursts of running to dodge attacks. (important for anti-saberist). The motion and precision required for that sounds like it would be exhausting for your thumb, and imprecise.

Yeah, the left analog isn't completely full range (which I apologize for stating that said error above in my earlier post), however it works fine. I can't guarantee the same feedback from another controller device, but I haven't personally experienced an issue between walking/running with the Dualshock 4.
I can confirm, however, that the right analog is complete full range, as it's mapped to the mouse.

all that being said, it does sound kind of intriguing and i tend to enjoy adjusting to unfamiliar control schemes so i might try it. Does the movement analog let you move at arbitrary angles? (like: angles between diagonals). or does the stick just get remapped to the 8 directions available with WASD.

So, this is kind of hard question for me, since I don't fully understand the process going on as DS4 Tool and/or PGP work their magic. However, while PGP does infact map to WASD (or arrow keys; can't remember), it does manage to capture directional movement as well, both when walking and running.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
The way to answer the question would just be to see if you can walk in incremental angles between, say, forward (W) and forward-right (WD). If it just maps the stick to WASD then it's likely the answer is "no."

Sooo, ultimately I think that while this control scheme is presently the most natural for you because of prior experience, I think you're greatly limiting how good you can get, because of the theoretical (and practical) limitations of the controller. You may prefer immediate comfort over long term potential though

(I could explain further why it's worse, but it would be confusing and theoretical rambling probably. Controller's just limited for twitchy 3D shooter games. It's good for, like, driving games. Things that have increments and degrees. 2D dual-stick shooters. 2D games in general. Bad for high speed 3D flexibility.)

(A theoretical ideal controller would somehow replace WASD with full analog any-direction any-speed directional control)

(Oh wait, I just remembered: there's an analog keyboard that got Kickstarted, which would let you press WASD "by degrees," which in turn would let you move in any angle you want by combination of degrees. So that's the theoretical perfect controller IMO. But MB2 wouldn't support degrees of speed because there's a sharp distinction in MB2 between Walking and Running that shouldn't be blurred.)

Last edited:
OK so, updates. Yippee! Unfortunately, it is a fact that keyboard is the only way to git gud at MBII, unless you're only visiting and wanting to play casually.
Regardless, feel free to try out controller. :p But yeah, if you want to get better, you will have to switch to keyboard, so it's official.

P.S. Even though this thread isn't a guide on how to get better at MBII saber-dueling, may I suggest that once you make the jump to keyboard, you turn always run off in your control settings. Walking and blocking save you bp. ;) I found holding shift at all times while fighting really annoying.
Might as well have it the other way around as a Jedi/Sith.